SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   R&G Tail Tidy (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=79076)

M65 16-10-06 07:59 AM

R&G Tail Tidy

I have been offered one for cheap money, but can anyone tell me if they are any good? How do they compare to the Hamicad or EvoTech alternatives? Are they good quality? etc. etc.

Thanks guys

thor 16-10-06 08:08 AM

They are pants.

I could give you lots of reasons why, or you could read my whinging by searching for my name and "R&G tail"

Law 16-10-06 10:32 AM

I have one, not that great. quite hard to fit, number plate light is useless.

Plus points is it looks sleek.

But then I have nothing else to compare it with apart from the snow shovel.

kwak zzr 16-10-06 12:27 PM

ive got one, its not great but it does what its ment to do and i found it very easy to fit, its cheap and cheer full.

andyaikido 16-10-06 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwak zzr
ive got one, its not great but it does what its ment to do and i found it very easy to fit, its cheap and cheer full.

Cheap! :shock:

I paid £50 for a bit of bent metal. It's still on but i've had to have a replacement as the original broke when the rear tyre touched the number plate.

If you're getting one i'd forget about the plate light and mount the plate as high up as it will go.

Also be aware the if you only have 2 wires for the indicators going up into the tail unit it will let water in so gaffa tape between the metal and rubber bit to water proof it and water will also get into the indicators unless you seal them with silicon or similar.

BTW i have no experience of any other tail tidies but Hamicad get good press on this site.

fizzwheel 16-10-06 07:05 PM

I know its not the same bike, but I've got one on my GSXR, seems quite well made and on the GSXR it was easy to fit. My one reuses the existing number plate light.

Was reasonably priced to. £10 cheaper than the hamicad one.

kwak zzr 16-10-06 07:18 PM

i only paid 26 quid for my R+G one.

thor 16-10-06 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyaikido
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwak zzr

Cheap! :shock:

I paid £50 for a bit of bent metal. It's still on but i've had to have a replacement as the original broke when the rear tyre touched the number plate.

If you're getting one i'd forget about the plate light and mount the plate as high up as it will go.

Also be aware the if you only have 2 wires for the indicators going up into the tail unit it will let water in so gaffa tape between the metal and rubber bit to water proof it and water will also get into the indicators unless you seal them with silicon or similar.

BTW i have no experience of any other tail tidies but Hamicad get good press on this site.

I had exactly the same problems with mine. It's gone through 2 indicators and one tail light through inadequate protection.

I also had the problem with the plate touching the tyre. On mine the plate got torn off. R&G never paid for the plate. I had a police witness and everything!

M65 16-10-06 08:42 PM

Sounds similar to what happened with my Hamicad, but it was one of the earlier ones that were prone to snapping so I took my chances a little I suppose. Think I'll stay clear of the R&G stuff then! Will stick to either another Hamicad, or try an EvoTech tail tidy. They seem to have a pretty good write up too.