SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Soft Luggage (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=217240)

Nutsinatin 05-05-15 07:46 PM

Soft Luggage

Hi all,
I'm doing a few trips with the better half this year (only a few hundred miles each time; east coast, north France etc, not transversing europe or the like) and after prior experience my 47L top box just isn't going to cut it. I'm thinking some soft panniers are the way to go and after reading through a few threads (thank you to Jayne for writing in most of them!) I'm thinking Oxford Lifetime X60 Sports Panniers/Oxford Lifetime X50 Sports Panniers are the way to go (any opinion if one size is better than the other?). At the minute I'm only going to use them a few times a year, but I don't want to go for something cheap as I'll be using them until I wear them out (with more future trips if I get my way). Obviously Lou is going to be on the rear seat so I just want to check that the panniers won't obstruct her legs or cause any discomfort over long distances. Secondly how do they mount, it it a strap over the rear seat, is this likely to cause any pillion discomfort? Or am I totally off the mark here, is there a better product that anyone knows about on here?

Ta in advance for any advice.

Bike is a fully faired K9 pointy with a standard mount exhaust, standard indicators with no tail tidy and a set of Givi arms with a top box if this makes any difference to fitting.

littleoldman2 05-05-15 08:18 PM

Re: Soft Luggage

I had Oxford Lifetime 50's which I bought second hand. They were great even with gross overloading. They fit by a straps over the rear seat which was occupied by tent, roll mat and sleeping bag, so I have no idea as to pillion comfort. I put the non slip draw lining stuff over the bike to stop them scuffing the paintwork. I managed to burn a hole in 1 with the exhaust due to overloading it, but it still worked. I used dry sacks and carrier bags for the stuff that needed to stay dry and so didn't use the waterproof covers. I now have hard luggage on the SV, I feel it's worth it in the long run.

Kenzie 05-05-15 08:50 PM

Just got this set:

http://renntec.com/by-product/luggag...l-bag-set.html

Not overly large but sits nicely on the SV.

NTECUK 06-05-15 09:10 AM

I've used the X50 and the tail pack.
They are not wwaterproof and the rain covers are not 100% in making them. So pop your things in good quality bin bags or rubble sacks.
Using hard cases on the tiger.

fizzwheel 06-05-15 11:48 AM

Moved to Bike Talk

Jayneflakes 06-05-15 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutsinatin (Post 3010178)
(thank you to Jayne for writing in most of them!)

ooh 'eck, is this a subtle hint that I have been talking out of my bum again? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutsinatin (Post 3010178)
Obviously Lou is going to be on the rear seat so I just want to check that the panniers won't obstruct her legs or cause any discomfort over long distances. Secondly how do they mount, it it a strap over the rear seat, is this likely to cause any pillion discomfort? Or am I totally off the mark here, is there a better product that anyone knows about on here?

Ta in advance for any advice.

Bike is a fully faired K9 pointy with a standard mount exhaust, standard indicators with no tail tidy and a set of Givi arms with a top box if this makes any difference to fitting.

When my panniers are fitted, my petite twenty year old Step daughter can climb on, but on long trips the straps over the seat can give an uncomfortable pressure point. If you are going to do it this way. look into getting a foam cover like a sit mat from the camping shop. A quick bodge and it it can be fixed into place.

A tank bag can be handy, a place to store those extra few bits and to lay on when cruising flat out on the autoban. ;)

Bibio 06-05-15 02:51 PM

i have a set of the expanding sprint 40l ones if you want to try them out. i'll post them off and if you dont like them just post them back if you do then we can come to an arrangement. i have used them once but decided they were not for me so have sat in the bin of sin ever since. gives a pm if your interested.

Nutsinatin 07-05-15 07:45 PM

Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to reply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleoldman2 (Post 3010187)
I had Oxford Lifetime 50's which I bought second hand. They were great even with gross overloading. They fit by a straps over the rear seat which was occupied by tent, roll mat and sleeping bag, so I have no idea as to pillion comfort. I put the non slip draw lining stuff over the bike to stop them scuffing the paintwork. I managed to burn a hole in 1 with the exhaust due to overloading it, but it still worked. I used dry sacks and carrier bags for the stuff that needed to stay dry and so didn't use the waterproof covers. I now have hard luggage on the SV, I feel it's worth it in the long run.

Thanks for the advice on how best to use them, unfortunately Givi discontinued the PL529 pannier rack a few years ago and I've not managed to come across even a second hand pair, and lack the skills to fab my own, as I would much have preferred lockable hard side cases in this instance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenzie (Post 3010200)
Just got this set:

http://renntec.com/by-product/luggag...l-bag-set.html

Not overly large but sits nicely on the SV.

Thanks for the link, they look okay but I've got no use for the tailbag as I need to sit a pillion there, don't think they are for me but thank you for sharing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTECUK (Post 3010227)
I've used the X50 and the tail pack.
They are not wwaterproof and the rain covers are not 100% in making them. So pop your things in good quality bin bags or rubble sacks.
Using hard cases on the tiger.

Thanks for the advice, I will do just that, just wish they still made hard cases for the SV!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayneflakes (Post 3010248)
ooh 'eck, is this a subtle hint that I have been talking out of my bum again? :D

When my panniers are fitted, my petite twenty year old Step daughter can climb on, but on long trips the straps over the seat can give an uncomfortable pressure point. If you are going to do it this way. look into getting a foam cover like a sit mat from the camping shop. A quick bodge and it it can be fixed into place.

A tank bag can be handy, a place to store those extra few bits and to lay on when cruising flat out on the autoban. ;)

If you have been talking out of your bum it has lots of good advice, wish mine was as helpful!

My better half fits the bill of petite 20 year old so that's a good product test, and I can bodge something this time, I'll use them a few times so I might get a second hand seat and see if I can't hack that into a more comfortable shape.

I've already got a tank bag, and I used that trick to ride from Surrey to AR14 only stopping for fuel! However that will not store the required number of additional "vital" items required!

Once again thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply, it is most appreciated!

NTECUK 07-05-15 08:04 PM

You can still get the Givi wing rack and universal fitting kit.
Has mine 25 years and still in the shead.

Tomor 07-05-15 09:01 PM

As NTEC says, you can get the Givi wingrack (N140/141) and the Universal fitting kit (can't remember the P/N off the top of my head) or SW Motech are now doing their pannier frames again which will take Givi Monokey boxes (not the V35's) with the adapters. Give me a shout if you need any more luggage advice, I sold it for the last 3 years.