SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Turning a bike round in a garage (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=219290)

7755matt 10-09-15 10:36 AM

Turning a bike round in a garage

We've moved house and have a garage that can be sued for vehicles (finally).

We're in the process of getting builders to quote to extend it (it should be a double but its about 1 1/4 at the mo) so the other half can get her shiny new Nissan Cashcow in next to my Z800.

Until then, having 2 cars on the drive make it difficult to get the bike in and out. It would be much easier if I could ride in, then turn through 180 degrees to ride back out.

Any ideas how as to how? The garage is wide enough to fit the bike in long ways, but not much else. The turning circle is a bit rubbish so going backwards and forwards will take longer than moving the car.

I've seen the bike mover thing that Abba make but its £135 and means putting the stand up etc.

Any suggestions?

BoltonSte 10-09-15 11:13 AM

Re: Turning a bike round in a garage

Walk it in backwards? It's what I do. I think it can be done on the side stand if it's not ally. I'm also pretty sure I saw some caster type thing once you can put under the wheels

7755matt 10-09-15 12:22 PM

I forgot the bit that says the drive up to the garage is pretty steep, and with the Z800 weighing about 200kg it's not a particularly viable option!

ophic 10-09-15 01:28 PM

Dealerships are usually experts at this. Just lean the bike onto its sidestand so both wheels are off the ground and pivot it around the stand. If you do it every day I'd imagine the stand would wear down though!

shiftin_gear98 10-09-15 02:01 PM

Last time my bike was serviced I couldn't believe how they spun the bike round on the stand, not to mention tipping it right over almost flat to check something. I was impressed.
Still there was two of them, and they both looked like they new what they were doing.
Not sure I'd be so confident. (If I had a bike to try it on that is)

Stepmg8255 10-09-15 02:59 PM

Search YouTube there is a video of turning the bike using a side stand. Never tried it but looks reasonable.

Skip 10-09-15 03:17 PM

I spin my bikes on the side-stand all the time these days as my long sloped driveway makes it a pain to push the bike down backwards. I started doing it on my 125 as I commute every day on it and it was tiresome to keep turning it round the traditional way so as the bike is light I started practising and I can now spin it no problem at all. Took a bit of nerve to try it on the Hornet but as long as you brace the side-stand with your foot and get a good grip on the opposite side of the bike its actually quite easy.

As I said - took some building up to though...

carelesschucca 10-09-15 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ophic (Post 3025217)
Dealerships are usually experts at this. Just lean the bike onto its sidestand so both wheels are off the ground and pivot it around the stand. If you do it every day I'd imagine the stand would wear down though!

its an easy technique to learn but it really does wear down your sidestand. I got into the habit of doing it with the street as the turning lock is a bit poor. I've had to stop because the stand is now like a razor on one edge.

But out of interest I lift the bike with the farside pillion footrest and just spin the bike round...

NTECUK 10-09-15 05:13 PM

Used to stand turn the sv,rsv,and.Daytona.
The tigers a bit of a mission.

maviczap 11-09-15 02:22 PM

Youtube "motorcycle turntable " theres a diy one