SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Alternative balancing tool ! (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=234326)

gadget 24-09-19 06:16 PM

Alternative balancing tool !

After reading /studying the many posts on tuning / balancing carbs, I have the chance to borrow one of the 'snail' type carb air flow gizmo's, the type that has a conical end that can be pushed into the 'trumpet' /inlet when motor is running and then the scale on the meter can be read at a glance. (I have seen these being used on webber 40's sidedrafts etc on cars)
So ... just wondered if anyone has tried this method of balancing on the sv ?
I can't see why it wouldn't be as effective as a manometer or traditional gauges.
It would certainly be a whole lot quicker and easier to do it this way that's for sure.
Anyone have any views / first hand experience or pro's 'n' cons' of doing it this way?

johnnyrod 24-09-19 08:19 PM

Re: Alternative balancing tool !

I did a quick google and if it's the sort I'm thinking of then it measures air flow in not vacuum pressure after the butterfly. The point of balancing the carbs is so the slides lift together which is down to equal vacuums that then draw the air out of the chamber above the diaphragm, so while airflow is related, I doubt it'd be accurate enough. Also the airflow at tickover is quite small.

gadget 25-09-19 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyrod (Post 3108518)
I did a quick google and if it's the sort I'm thinking of then it measures air flow in not vacuum pressure after the butterfly. The point of balancing the carbs is so the slides lift together which is down to equal vacuums that then draw the air out of the chamber above the diaphragm, so while airflow is related, I doubt it'd be accurate enough. Also the airflow at tickover is quite small.

Aha, good point, didn't think of that.
Many thanks for the info, I may have been messing with that tool all day and getting false readings and probably doing more harm than good.
Cheers.

R1ffR4ff 26-09-19 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadget (Post 3108549)
Aha, good point, didn't think of that.
Many thanks for the info, I may have been messing with that tool all day and getting false readings and probably doing more harm than good.
Cheers.

This may be of interest to you,

https://cx500.000webhostapp.com/SV650Carb_Balance.html

HTH :)

gadget 10-10-19 04:08 PM

Thanks for the link, saw those in a magazine while back. Mine does seem a little lumpy at idle and I am experiencing some numb digits after about half hour of riding. Think I'm just going to have to invest in a balancing tool of some description. Probably the carbtune, looks like a doddle to use. Cheers again for info.

johnnyrod 10-10-19 07:39 PM

Personally I prefer a pair of Davida Gauges. Don't buy cheap ones. You can use a pair to balance any number of cylinders.

glang 10-10-19 07:52 PM

The big disadvantage of using a flow meter is that it measures just one carb/throttle body at a time and as it works by creating a slight restriction affects the tickover. So in swopping it between the measurements youve introduced a small variable that creates inaccuracy which on a car is insignificant but on a bike more important.
You can balance the carbs very accurately without expenditure by using a home made manometer. You just need a long length of plastic tube and some water....

gadget 04-11-19 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glang (Post 3109053)
The big disadvantage of using a flow meter is that it measures just one carb/throttle body at a time and as it works by creating a slight restriction affects the tickover. So in swopping it between the measurements youve introduced a small variable that creates inaccuracy which on a car is insignificant but on a bike more important.
You can balance the carbs very accurately without expenditure by using a home made manometer. You just need a long length of plastic tube and some water....

I have eventually decided to put it in the capable hands of a mechanic mainly because I have absolutely nowhere to do the work and don't fancy getting cold n wet doing it out in the road. So .... fork out some hard earned and hopefully it'll all be sorted.