SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Riding Gear (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Hi-Viz clothing (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=155433)

Cymraeg_Atodeg 01-08-10 01:42 PM

Hi-Viz clothing

I have been "um-ing" and "er-ing" about this since I started using bike.
No one really wears Hi-viz stuff when racing (except Vale because he loves fluorescent yellow,) but, on the roads people need to see you more then when they are on the track.

Anyway, I had never really been a fan of Hi-viz clothing, but, I bought a hi-viz vest recently, that is, in my opinion, very smart looking and I am more then happy to be "Hi-Viz & proud" now.

But, what do you think? Hi-viz still "uncool" or is it more something that is a necessity in modern biking?

kwak zzr 01-08-10 01:44 PM

Re: Hi-Viz clothing

Being visible is more important than looking cool.

Cymraeg_Atodeg 01-08-10 01:49 PM

But, does this serve both purposes; Hi-Viz

timwilky 01-08-10 03:00 PM

I prefer to think I am invisible, at least that way I assume they have not seen me and ride accordingly.

ty_uk 01-08-10 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cymraeg_Atodeg (Post 2333550)

That looks better than most Hi viz council looking waist coats..where did you get that from?

coolevilangel 01-08-10 06:22 PM

how about the mil spec fluo waiscoat from icon
http://www.ultimatebikegear.co.uk/pr...or-Orange.html#
Tis quite cool, and gonna be my next clothing purchase:D

Cymraeg_Atodeg 01-08-10 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ty_uk (Post 2333623)
That looks better than most Hi viz council looking waist coats..where did you get that from?

I got it from Polo in Hamm when I was in Germany

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolevilangel (Post 2333680)
how about the mil spec fluo waiscoat from icon
http://www.ultimatebikegear.co.uk/pr...or-Orange.html#
Tis quite cool, and gonna be my next clothing purchase

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolevilangel (Post 2333680)
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Anthony/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

That is £52 :-o

Mine was €25, alright it doesn’t have any pockets or a built in St. Christopher pendant, but, I bought a tank bag for storage

-Ralph- 01-08-10 07:11 PM

Hi-Viz kit is definitely getting more an more popular, lots of textile jacket designes now come in Black, blue, red, grey and Hi-Viz yellow. As it gets more popular, it will become less un-cool. Who cares anyway?

Cymraeg_Atodeg 01-08-10 07:20 PM

It is not so much the "cool-ness" factor that bothers me, as I think I look great in my Hi-Viz and that is all that matters to me.

My main question of the thread was asking if people actually think Hi-Viz clothing makes a difference

ty_uk 01-08-10 07:39 PM

This jacket looks cool
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/moto...rod/708/37092#

Cymraeg_Atodeg 01-08-10 07:42 PM

Should I be worried that even x-small would be too big for me? lol

orose 01-08-10 07:55 PM

Its a tough call - best thing to do is to ride like you're expecting not to be seen, and being pleasantly suprised when it makes a difference.

From what I remember reading in one of the IAM magazines, it doesn't seem to matter how visible you make yourself - if people don't expect to see you there, they won't see you (demonstrated in the article by swapping a truck for a sofa in one of the pictures, which was still identified as a truck by the majority of the sample set from the source article).

Cymraeg_Atodeg 01-08-10 07:56 PM

I know what you are saying, it is kind of like everything to do with riding, expect the worse so when it happens you can deal with it

Bibio 01-08-10 10:56 PM

i would rather wear hi-viz than urban camo.

i think its cool to wear hi-viz now as opposed to the 70-80's where you would have been laughed at by everyone.

barwel1992 02-08-10 02:01 AM

i dont were a hi-viz in the summer but do in the winter and at night times if i can (depends if i have it on me if im out )

serves the purpose but you look ghey :smt003

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cymraeg_Atodeg (Post 2333550)

Bri w 02-08-10 08:52 AM

I've got the winter camo jacket, http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/moto...6387?r=Froogle which I bought coz it stands out - not pretty but it is obvious. And I've got a Hi-viz for those murky winter half day half night days.

If it helps survive a bit longer I don't have a problem with it.

Geodude 02-08-10 09:01 AM

I keep a hi-vis vest under my seat for nights or foggy conditions etc.

Stu 02-08-10 04:53 PM

Several people have experienced negative consequences of wearing Hi Viz by being mistaken for a Learner that needs to be overtaken at all costs.

Bibio 03-09-10 04:41 PM

why do people wear 'cammo' gear while riding a bike?

dont you know its designed so at a quick glance people cant see you, hence why the forces use it.

MisterTommyH 03-09-10 08:44 PM

I keep a thin hi-viz running jacket under my seat.

It's dual purpose - showerproof if I get caught out, and very visible if I'm out in the dark or the fog.

Berlin 04-09-10 08:03 AM

I have a hobby of deliberately bumping into people wearing Urban Camo in town and saying "Sorry mate! I Didn't see you there!"

They never get it! :rolleyes:

C

yorkie_chris 04-09-10 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cymraeg_Atodeg (Post 2333735)
My main question of the thread was asking if people actually think Hi-Viz clothing makes a difference

I don't believe it makes any difference at all.
In conditions of poor visibility, you would have your headlight on anyway, which has far greater effect.

There are also other effects, people are desensitised to hi-vis since the HSE makes everyone wear one to bed anyway... add in the same idiot magnet effect generally reserved for L plates...

Only positive effect I seen with them is if you're riding a big tourer and wearing a high vis jacket, people think you're a copper and move over. But for them to notice "you're a copper" they need to have seen you in the first place...

Just for interest, I have worn my (very gay) 80s leathers on the road. I get FAR more people being c***s and trying to knock me off, getting annoyed at bits of filtering that when doing the same thing, in the same place wearing my proper (black as the night!) kit... isn't a problem.
(they may well be trying to put me out of the misery of my terrible fashion sense :confused:)

Look like you're doddering about like a learner... get bullied. Look like you mean business, less problems.

orose 04-09-10 03:12 PM

I have a suspicion that high-vis may be making you less visible in bright sunlight, at least in the yellow sort. We're OK seeing each other, mostly because we're all wearing dark visors as well, but I think its possible to fade into the hedges from a visibility point of view.

When it gets darker, then it makes you stand out from the black (assuming it's clean...), but I'm not convinced of the help in the day.