SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   HONDA HORNET 900 (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=72807)

Razor 11-06-06 09:20 PM

HONDA HORNET 900

Anybody own one?

I used to have an old blade with flat bars that I loved dearly, so was thinking that the big hornet might be the next bike for me. They're not that expensive compared to some of the other naked bikes.

Vfr400 11-06-06 09:33 PM

There was a test? comparison? of the Hornet 900 in the June issue of Bike
IIRC they were fairly complimentary about it.

chris

Razor 11-06-06 09:58 PM

Thanks I must have forgot, I've got June. I think June comes out in April or something like that?

If I get one I could got to Hornet's nest and leave you all alone. :P

northwind 11-06-06 11:38 PM

I like them. People call them bland, as people like to do, and there's no getting away from the fact that the top of the power is just chopped off with very little gain further down. But if you overlay a Hornet 9 power chart with an SV1000, the Hornet is almost exactly the same but 1000 revs higher.

K 12-06-06 07:29 AM

How old a 'Blade?

Hornet 9s are nice, good, reliable, solid...

... all the other 'bad' things people say about a Honda really. :wink:

Honda are also, very slowly, getting the idea that people like to add bits to thier bikes. So the range of OEM accessories is growing and the Hornets pretty much have the most options at the moment - but their expensive in comparison with alot of other aftermarket stuff out there (no surprise there really).

Why not go back to an older 'Blade? (But then I'm biased and would say that.) :wink:

Viney 12-06-06 07:38 AM

Re: HONDA HORNET 900

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor
Anybody own one?

I used to have an old blade with flat bars that I loved dearly, so was thinking that the big hornet might be the next bike for me. They're not that expensive compared to some of the other naked bikes.

My mate done the best part of 40000 miles in one year commuting on one from Brighton to Wapping, and afik, had no issues what so ever...then again, he done the same milage on a tuono with no problems. They are very dated nowadays though.

Razor 12-06-06 08:25 AM

I got the BIKE write up out this morning and they rate it higher than the Ducati 1000 sport and the new FZ1. Mostly because it's so cheap. Makes more torque than the Ducati too.
I can't afford new so I'm looking for second hand and hoping to get what I need for the SV.

Jabba 12-06-06 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor
If I get one I could got to Hornet's nest and leave you all alone. :P

I tried that............doesn't work :lol:

Hornet 900s are great bikes......bags of torque and fine to ride :thumbsup:

tricky 12-06-06 08:41 AM

My instructor at the RH race school was riding a 900 Hornet.
Seemed to whip round Donnington well enough.

No reason to leave just 'cos you don't have an SV anymore, there are plenty of ex-SV'ers here.

Jelster 12-06-06 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tricky
No reason to leave just 'cos you don't have an SV anymore, there are plenty of ex-SV'ers here.

Especially those on Honda's :lol:

Ace bike BTW, would consider one myself but I want a bit more protection....