SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   2014 Annual Rideout (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   Winning bid for 2014- The banter thread (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=206449)

admin 02-01-14 12:31 PM

Winning bid for 2014- The banter thread

Hi All this is the winning bid for the 2014 annual rideout submitted by Bibio, Littleoldman2 and andrewsmith. There was only one bid submitted so chosing the winner was fairly straightforward.

Quote:

Hi John

Here's an AR proposal for the
pot

Andy

AR 2014 Proposal- The border raid edition

Bibio, Littleoldman2 and I, think its time it came to the Borders as the roads and scenery are wonderful.
What we’re thinking is doing Borders run around the stunning Northumberland National park and North into the Scottish borders around Moffat, Selkirk and Hawick.

The plan is to base the AR out of Bellingham as there are more than enough facilities. Camping/ Bunking would be the Demesne Farm Campsite http://www.demesnefarmcampsite.co.uk/ who are more than capable of handling bikers, as there are several other owner club meetings using the site during the year. For the people liking creature comforts there are a several B&B’s and hotels in the village and close by.

The route will be something around the 180 mile mark, taking in the best of Northumberland and the Borders region. It will allow for plenty of riding and stunning scenery.

The ride-out will be run Glencoe Massacre style with next rider waiting at the junctions, Lead rider and TEC. On the roads around there it is safer than rider drop off. Getting to Bellingham is around 90 minutes from the M6 (via Pentrith and the Hartside Pass) and about an Hour from the A1 via Newcastle Airport.

For anyone wanting the scenic route coming North;
• From Lancaster you can make a route via Ingleton, Hawes, Middleton in Teesdale then up the A68 (through Stanhope) or via Alston
• From the A1 coming off at Richmond up and over the Tan Hill to Kirkby Stephen then as above or
• Off onto the A66 and via Barnard Castle through to Middleton-in-Teesdale and up

Dates we are saying late June as to avoid GM2014, the worst of
the holiday traffic and the BSB at Knockhill .

timwilky 02-01-14 12:34 PM

Re: Winning bid for 2014

Fantastic, I really want to make this one.

maviczap 02-01-14 01:23 PM

Cool, lets hope I can make this one

Matt-EUC 02-01-14 02:12 PM

Winning bid for 2014

I would edit out the route from your post. For the purpose of surprises etc.

andrewsmith 02-01-14 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt-EUC (Post 2925917)
I would edit out the route from your post. For the purpose of surprises etc.

Fair point that's it edited out :smt023
For anyone thats seen the route, its subject to tweaks as per the normal terms and conditions

jambo 02-01-14 02:30 PM

Cool!
Hopefully we'll be able to make it, may you have as much positive help as you need, and as little moaning as your audience is capable of :D

Well done on putting in a proposal, and thank you :)

Jambo

fenjer 02-01-14 03:36 PM

Good Bid guys!!

Looking forward to this!

chris8886 02-01-14 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambo (Post 2925921)
Cool!
Hopefully we'll be able to make it, may you have as much positive help as you need, and as little moaning as your audience is capable of :D

Well done on putting in a proposal, and thank you :)

Jambo

quite right, I like the sound of this too, here's to hoping that I can somehow find a way of making it :D

NTECUK 02-01-14 04:00 PM

"Dates we are saying late June as to avoid the BSB at Knockhill"
Na add it on,so you can see all the budding Barry Shean's ;)

andrewsmith 02-01-14 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTECUK (Post 2925937)
"Dates we are saying late June as to avoid the BSB at Knockhill"
Na add it on,so you can see all the budding Barry Shean's ;)

There is a reason for avoiding the Knockhill BSB (all the Scottish and Borders people know this), all the marked and unmarked coppers are on quite a few of the roads that the route will take in.
It was the same reason that taking the Hartside was immediately discounted as we would attract too much attention (there we're screwed as its 3 different forces patrolling and good luck getting away from any of them)

NTECUK 02-01-14 06:58 PM

No one on the org has or will ever brake a traffic rule. ;)

timwilky 02-01-14 07:52 PM

Good thing living over this side of the hill means I might just have to do Hartside there and back.

Sheer hell, just for the sake of the annual Dave Preston pizz up weekend.

Still glad you have found a location with what reads as a reasonable hotel nearby. You wouldn't like to share a campsite with me.

andrewsmith 02-01-14 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwilky (Post 2925972)
Good thing living over this side of the hill means I might just have to do Hartside there and back.

Sheer hell, just for the sake of the annual Dave Preston pizz up weekend.

Still glad you have found a location with what reads as a reasonable hotel nearby. You wouldn't like to share a campsite with me.

I have! AR11

We will have more info about the site etc... once we get it

TamSV 02-01-14 09:40 PM

Winning bid for 2014

Well done lads. Sounds like a good un.

keith_d 02-01-14 10:04 PM

Makes a change from having it down south. I'm looking forward to it.

Keith.

Fordward 02-01-14 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 2925903)
There was only one bid submitted so chosing the winner was fairly straightforward

Ahahahahahahaha! :lol:

There used to be major bun fights on this forum over who would organise it and where. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 2925903)
Bibio, Littleoldman2 and andrewsmith

Well done you three. You're thick skinned enough to do it anyway. Since it's you organising and the rideout at least is in gods country, I might even come along.

atassiedevil 06-01-14 09:25 AM

Re: Winning bid for 2014- The banter thread

Whats this going to consist of? Fri-Mon, or Fri-Sun? I'm definitely interested...but it's a fair trek from london.
Mrs may very well come too if there are other ladies around to talk to.
Looking forward to it if we do it.

NTECUK 06-01-14 09:29 AM

You can join in the EAR cavalcade

kaivalagi 06-01-14 06:42 PM

The more the merrier on the EAR train!

I have my booking in for the bunkhouse already, staying from Friday night through until Monday morning :)

I am really looking forward to this one, should be a cracking get together I reckon!

littleoldman2 07-01-14 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atassiedevil (Post 2926602)
Whats this going to consist of? Fri-Mon, or Fri-Sun? I'm definitely interested...but it's a fair trek from london.
Mrs may very well come too if there are other ladies around to talk to.
Looking forward to it if we do it.

I/we will be arranging a ride out on Sunday and also providing information on what to see and do for those who wish to stay longer.

kaivalagi 07-01-14 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleoldman2 (Post 2926939)
I/we will be arranging a ride out on Sunday and also providing information on what to see and do for those who wish to stay longer.

Thanks! It's gonna be a corker...

andrewsmith 07-01-14 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleoldman2 (Post 2926939)

I'll be hanging round too.
I've given Kavi a route that will warm the EAR train up on the Friday

kaivalagi 07-01-14 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewsmith (Post 2926951)
I'll be hanging round too.
I've given Kavi a route that will warm the EAR train up on the Friday

Yeah, just posted it up, thanks for that :)

andrewsmith 07-01-14 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaivalagi (Post 2926958)
Yeah, just posted it up, thanks for that :)

I saw that after I posted.
Lew if you want a route to meet them at a stop point I can probably think of one from Skipton

carelesschucca 07-01-14 09:56 PM

Great timing guys Great Timing. But let me think if I can make it. Its the choice of being in Northumberland on my bike or Andalucía on my bike, and seeing as Andalucía is already booked I won't be coming yet again.

andrewsmith 07-01-14 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carelesschucca (Post 2927030)
Great timing guys Great Timing. But let me think if I can make it. Its the choice of being in Northumberland on my bike or Andalucía on my bike, and seeing as Andalucía is already booked I won't be coming yet again.

http://gifs.gifbin.com/3507yu7037.gif

chris8886 07-01-14 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewsmith (Post 2927031)

genuine lol moment just happened when I saw this!! :smt043

Fordward 07-01-14 10:58 PM

Andrew, are you suggesting that Dean is weak minded? ;-)

andrewsmith 08-01-14 04:58 AM

Re: Re: Winning bid for 2014- The banter thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordward (Post 2927048)
Andrew, are you suggesting that Dean is weak minded? ;-)

Lol!
Show Dean moobs and he's distracted ;-)

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

mattSV 10-01-14 06:35 PM

Congratulations on the winning (only) bid guys, beautiful part of the country, should be a great weekend.

Only thing I would suggest considering is the route distance.

Given the amount of faffing that goes on at every stop of an AR, 180 miles sounds a bit optimistic, and would probably represent 4-5 hours in the saddle realistically. Might be a bit much for some? (Personally, I wouldn't give a **** as I will be on my super-comfy explorer ;-) )

Having been on a GM, and the North v South run years ago, I know that the roads are more than up to covering decent distances at "enthusiastic" speeds. It just gets a bit harder to do that safely when there are larger numbers.

davepreston 11-01-14 12:15 AM

well this is going to be sh ite
wont know before hand whats stocked in the bar (cos bibio cant see over the top of one)
little old man will live up to his namesake and get us lost or stop every 5 mins to tell us about a tree of significant importance from his time in the home guard in "the war "
and no one is going to know where to be and at what time because andy smith only speaks wookie

were doomed all doomed I tell yee

so no worries booking it off next week, gem is sorting the lodgings tomorrow, locating a suitable huge brandy bottle (and a whisky as well why the hell not) in a few days, bang off every penny possible from the credit card so I can have FULL use of its available balance while propping up the bar (that bibio cant see over while listening to LOM ramble on about the war and laughing at people trying to understand the wookie)

all is gooooooood

andrewsmith 11-01-14 12:21 AM

Beer fines increase by another 300%.

Or you can consolidate your debts this into one easy payment of open bar at the Cheviot Hotel ;)

chris8886 11-01-14 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepreston (Post 2927763)
well this is going to be sh ite
wont know before hand whats stocked in the bar (cos bibio cant see over the top of one)
little old man will live up to his namesake and get us lost or stop every 5 mins to tell us about a tree of significant importance from his time in the home guard in "the war "
and no one is going to know where to be and at what time because andy smith only speaks wookie

were doomed all doomed I tell yee

so no worries booking it off next week, gem is sorting the lodgings tomorrow, locating a suitable huge brandy bottle (and a whisky as well why the hell not) in a few days, bang off every penny possible from the credit card so I can have FULL use of its available balance while propping up the bar (that bibio cant see over while listening to LOM ramble on about the war and laughing at people trying to understand the wookie)

all is gooooooood

:smt046

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewsmith (Post 2927764)
Beer fines increase by another 300%.

Or you can consolidate your debts this into one easy payment of open bar at the Cheviot Hotel ;)

sounds like dave is proper ******

andrewsmith 11-01-14 03:40 PM

Nah skint and sober!

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

AJC 13-01-14 06:56 PM

Just saw this, looks good! Congrats lads.

And it's close enough I can make it without completely dying of discomfort on my hard wooden bench, sorry.. i mean bike...

Littlepeahead 14-01-14 08:16 AM

Sounds like a great plan this year, well done guys.

I have just got back from 1600 miles round Thailand - now that would be a great place for an AR. Guaranteed sun, cheap beer and accommodation, great food, and a ladyboy show in the evening to keep us entertained. Getting the bikes there might take a while though. And the brandy is rough as a badgers bum so Dave Preston wouldn't like it (and it's practically France too).

I need to ask the boss nicely if I can have that weekend off as we have some low key matches on at Lord's. Then Chris8886 and I will probably van it up there. He's keen to camp, I'm keener to have a proper bed/shower/breakfast/access to a plug point for my hair straighteners so would rather B&B or hotel it. As it's such a long way it may be worth making a proper weekend of it and doing Friday to Monday if others are doing the same.

NTECUK 14-01-14 08:41 AM

Book the bunk house LPH :)

carelesschucca 14-01-14 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littlepeahead (Post 2928272)
Then Chris8886 and I will probably van it up there.*As it's such a long way it may be worth making a proper weekend of it and doing Friday to Monday if others are doing the same.

Why not make it a proper biking weekend and ride? Take the extra couple of days and build a brilliant route and have that sense of achievement it'll be well worth it.

Littlepeahead 14-01-14 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTECUK (Post 2928275)
Book the bunk house LPH :)

Hmmmm, I know some of the people staying in that bunkhouse and the snoring decibel level would mean I could probably still hear them from a hotel 3 miles away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carelesschucca (Post 2928278)
Why not make it a proper biking weekend and ride? Take the extra couple of days and build a brilliant route and have that sense of achievement it'll be well worth it.

Chris suggested the van idea. Assuming he has a licence it means we could split the driving and arrive a little less tired than biking up with loads of gear. This also assumes my buttocks will have recovered from Thailand. ER6 - not so much a motorcycle as a torture device for the bum and shoulders, especially off roading on road tyres.

NTECUK 14-01-14 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littlepeahead (Post 2928282)
Hmmmm, I know some of the people staying in that bunkhouse and the snoring decibel level would mean I could probably still hear them from a hotel 3 miles away.

Chris suggested the van idea. Assuming he has a licence it means we could split the driving and arrive a little less tired than biking up with loads of gear. This also assumes my buttocks will have recovered from Thailand. ER6 - not so much a motorcycle as a torture device for the bum and shoulders, especially off roading on road tyres.

If you weren't such a soft southern your sleep in the van ;)
Van = wood and your fier bowl so that is a top idea if they allow it