SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   The Crash Detectives - a sobering story (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=229487)

650 07-05-18 01:57 PM

Re: The Crash Detectives - a sobering story

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV650rules (Post 3085073)
This is why I sometimes despair of bikers who fit the loudest pipes they can to their bike, I have seen 'for track use only' pipes on road bikes.

"but it saves lives, m8"

Groan.

SV650rules 07-05-18 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 650 (Post 3085368)
People would need to stop voting for the country's number 1 public service despising political party. 30'000 Police and PCO's down since 2010... and counting

A couple of years ago me and my bro went to local nick at about 8pm one evening to report malicious damage to his car on the carpark just across the road from police station. we stood in reception for over half hour before anyone answered the bell, and even after we had got someones attention it was another hour before anyone came through to take a report. I the meantime we could see loads of people walking around with coffee cups and chatting - there seemed to be plenty of people there but Police business was taking second place. Apparently they would rather stay in the station than go out on patrol.

Firemen have done a lot of moaning about cuts, but truth is the number of fires has dropped dramatically in last couple of decades and like any other business if trade drops off factories and stores get closed and people get laid off. I learned in many years of business that if you double staff numbers you don't get double the work done, it is a decreasing effect.

it is not only front line police that have been cut, in fact it has disproportionally affected higher ranks.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...ers-since-2010

Talking Heads 07-05-18 06:06 PM

Problem you have in Englandshire is finding a political party worth voting for.
Labour are a complete waste of space, they would far rather abstain than actually do the job of opposing the tories.
Corbyn might talk a good game on a few topics, but talk is all there is.

650 08-05-18 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV650rules (Post 3085375)
A couple of years ago me and my bro went to local nick at about 8pm one evening to report malicious damage to his car on the carpark just across the road from police station. we stood in reception for over half hour before anyone answered the bell, and even after we had got someones attention it was another hour before anyone came through to take a report. I the meantime we could see loads of people walking around with coffee cups and chatting - there seemed to be plenty of people there but Police business was taking second place. Apparently they would rather stay in the station than go out on patrol.

Must be amazing, having that kind of insight into a police officer/detectives life. Do tell us more.

SV650rules 08-05-18 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 650 (Post 3085396)
Must be amazing, having that kind of insight into a police officer/detectives life. Do tell us more.

I can only say what we saw, and taking half an hour to answer the call button in reception is hardly acceptable, and plenty of police cars on the car park - not out on patrol. As I said numbers do not make for more productivity.

650 08-05-18 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV650rules (Post 3085404)
I can only say what we saw, and taking half an hour to answer the call button in reception is hardly acceptable, and plenty of police cars on the car park - not out on patrol. As I said numbers do not make for more productivity.

I find it almost incredible how everyone is an absolute expert on services such as the NHS and Police. Like more or less anything in life, keeping your uninformed opinions to yourself is probably best. Until you've walked a day in their shoes, you simply have no clue what they're up to or whether it's safe to say they're wasting time, etc.

garynortheast 08-05-18 12:36 PM

^ Yup.

And besides, anecdote is always preferable to proper research and statistics. :sad:

SV650rules 08-05-18 02:51 PM

There was a time when Police were there to serve the Public (who pay their wages) somewhwere along the line something has changed - may be about the time when Maggie T recruited a whole heap more, upped their wages by a very large amount and used them as her private government army to quell the strikers (mainly striking miners) with infiltration, phone tapping, brute and overwhelming force.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...thin-extremism

And it is not anecdote if you are there at the time, only if you get information second ot third hand, but go ahead and call me a liar, I am not easily offended.

yorkie_chris 08-05-18 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV650rules (Post 3085414)
And it is not anecdote if you are there at the time, only if you get information second ot third hand, but go ahead and call me a liar, I am not easily offended.

I don't think anyone is calling you a liar, I certainly aren't, I'd say you're talking ******** though.

Might not have crossed your mind but there may have been more important police work afoot than answering your desk call?

maviczap 08-05-18 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV650rules (Post 3085375)

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...ers-since-2010

Malicious damage to your brothers car is hardly crime of the century, import to you and him, but not a priority.

Ok you didn't get served for half an hour, but maybe the desk clerk was on their rest break and due to cuts, they only had one on duty.

As for the rest of them, their duties do not include answering the front desk, its a specific job, assigned to a specific person.

As in a hospital, a brain surgeon doesn't do gynaecological work

Maybe the others were custody staff, traffic, intelligence officers, or other non frontline staff. Maybe they were frontline staff in for rest periods or shift change over and been to their briefing?

Just because the car park was full, doesn't mean there were loads of coppers in the station hiding under their desks