SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   1979 Suzuki X5 Long term rebuild (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=231689)

Othen 10-03-19 02:17 PM

Re: 1979 Suzuki X5 Long term rebuild

The weather improved a bit so I took the Bloop out for a test ride - and hit an indicated 60 MPH on a slightly downhill stretch - so the rings have worked. It still ran out of puff slightly at the top end, so either the ignition needs advancing slightly, or the main jet needs cleaning - or the muffler has a bucketful of carbon in it (... or several of the above).
I’m pleased with it though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R1ffR4ff 10-03-19 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Othen (Post 3100288)
The weather improved a bit so I took the Bloop out for a test ride - and hit an indicated 60 MPH on a slightly downhill stretch - so the rings have worked. It still ran out of puff slightly at the top end, so either the ignition needs advancing slightly, or the main jet needs cleaning - or the muffler has a bucketful of carbon in it (... or several of the above).
I’m pleased with it though.

Nice one :)

mister c 11-03-19 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Othen (Post 3100250)
That is quite incredible, your attention to detail is phenomonal.

I have a feeling you would simple hate the oily rag renovation of my 1976 Bloop:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/ccm_...100-t4832.html

Best wishes,

Alan

The BlOOP has been saved, which is good & it's nice to see that you're going to keep it, it's another classic that isn't destined for the scrapyard :)

The X5 was going to be a full restoration as I owned one in 1979 (It was my 1st ever motorbike).
The main problem has been the price of parts, they were only built for a handful of years, so parts command a high price (when you can find them). I have a pair of std silencers, but the chrome platers wanted over £350 for the pair & the Gibsons turned up at over £100 cheaper :) I'd always wanted expansion pipes when I was a youngster, so couldn't say no

Othen 11-03-19 09:14 AM

1979 Suzuki X5 Long term rebuild

Quote:

Originally Posted by mister c (Post 3100334)
The BlOOP has been saved, which is good & it's nice to see that you're going to keep it, it's another classic that isn't destined for the scrapyard :)

The X5 was going to be a full restoration as I owned one in 1979 (It was my 1st ever motorbike).
The main problem has been the price of parts, they were only built for a handful of years, so parts command a high price (when you can find them). I have a pair of std silencers, but the chrome platers wanted over £350 for the pair & the Gibsons turned up at over £100 cheaper :) I'd always wanted expansion pipes when I was a youngster, so couldn't say no

I’m not sure many would see the Bloop as a classic, but it is a cute little bike that was too good to break, so I take your point.

What you have done with the expansion chambers is perfectly acceptable - that is a sensible modification that many would have done if they could have afforded to do so back in the day.

You did well with the X5 - not many would have had your attention to detail (including me - I’d have just got it running and riding - an oily rag restoration).

Alan

mister c 09-04-19 02:41 PM

Well, it's been a while since I've done anything on the X5, so thought I would pop outside today to see if I can find my mojo to get it done. I failed, but did have a quick ride on it to check the gears selected ok :)

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Craig380 09-04-19 03:43 PM

Ooooh, it sounds SO good :)

Othen 09-04-19 03:59 PM

It is the 70s again!

Sir Trev 09-04-19 06:54 PM

Mmmmmmm..... Two stroke exhausts. Part of me misses them quite a lot.

Craig380 09-04-19 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Trev (Post 3101342)
Mmmmmmm..... Two stroke exhausts. Part of me misses them quite a lot.

A few years back, when I still had my 380 with J&R Power Pipes, I pulled up at some traffic lights and a rider who I'd noticed following me for a few miles pulled alongside on a modern adventure bike. He shouted across: "I couldn't overtake you, I was enjoying listening to it too much ..." :D

garynortheast 09-04-19 09:22 PM

Sounding good Col.