SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Photos (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Travelling with Camera Equipment (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=178139)

jonny.boyd 04-05-12 09:10 AM

Travelling with Camera Equipment

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice:

In less than a month I will be flying out to the USA, now I plan on taking my camera gear but am not keen on having it checked in, rather carrying it on in my hand luggage.

Is this allowed? are there any restrictions other than weight? What do you do?

:)

Littlepeahead 04-05-12 10:12 AM

Re: Travelling with Camera Equipment

I travel with my camera gear as hand luggage and never have any problems.

I find this bag really useful as gear goes in the lower part, space for memory cards and other bits in the internal pockets and then the top can be used for your book/kindle/ipod/passport etc. and it is small enough for the overhead locker. Costs about £70 and my one has lasted 7 years so far without showing any signs of wear.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...00,2261,14.htm

jonny.boyd 04-05-12 10:17 AM

Thankyou LPH,

That's good to know.. I've actually already got a bag for all the gear. I was just more worried about me not being allow it as hand luggage - didn't want my zoom lens being thought as a terrorist weapon!

I'm guessing the x-ray machine don't mess with your lens' or camera body??

Littlepeahead 04-05-12 11:33 AM

No, xray doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

Sir Trev 04-05-12 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny.boyd (Post 2705266)
... didn't want my zoom lens being thought as a terrorist weapon!

He he he. Memories of the Tory party conference in 1988 (I think) in Brighton. First one back in Brighton after the bombing. I was about to extend the first leg of my tripod when I got surrounded by the Rozzers. No it's not a rocket launcher, no I'm not a member of the press, I live up the road and just wanted a pic... Quick check on the PNC and they let me get on with it. My mate was not asked and was merrily snapping away all the time - but he had no tripod with him.

anna 04-05-12 01:15 PM

Never had a problem with camera though airport security, although never travelled in and out of the US with them, and I know they have tighter security measures.

timwilky 04-05-12 01:32 PM

Carried my camera in hand baggage to the US without a problem. US immigration these days is a pain in the backside, over an hour queuing for them to take my fingerprints last time.

HoL 04-05-12 01:55 PM

We went to the US and through the US last year. Wife took her camera in a bag pretty much the same as LPH's above & we had no problems - I think one place opened the bag & had a look but that was it. She's also got one of these that goes inside a big handbag so it's not obvious she's a tourist carrying a load of expensive stuff round

keith_d 05-05-12 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoL (Post 2705373)
She's also got one of these that goes inside a big handbag so it's not obvious she's a tourist carrying a load of expensive stuff round

I'm usually taking too much stuff for one of those.

Normally I take a Lowepro Fastpack 350 which has room for a body and 4 or 5 lenses plus my netbook. I also wear a coat with big pockets. If I see them weighing hand luggage at check in I'll stuff a couple of nice heavy lenses in my pockets and carry the netbook separately.

If you need more than that you need to check which flight has the most restrictive cabin luggage size. Then get a bright yellow Peli case just smaller than that size with dividers. Also pack a couple of TSA approved padlocks and a cable tie.

If the check in staff are being difficult, ask to take it to the door of the plane and get it back at the door when you land. Then secure it with a cable tie and two padlocks. The TSA approved padlocks are pretty crap but in the event of a problem your insurers will ask whether it was locked. The cable tie is there to show you whether it has been opened.

Finally, if you've got expensive gear make sure it's itemised and listed as 'all risks' on your home insurance. But, if you're planning to use it for professional purposes you'll probably need to insure it separately.

Hope this helps,

Keith.