SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   One bike on two bike trailer - safe? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=197263)

Nick_69 10-04-13 11:16 AM

One bike on two bike trailer - safe?

Im looking at buying a double motorbike trailer, but,i wont be alway be using it for towing 2 bikes. Would it be safe to tow a single bike on one side of the trailer.

Littlepeahead 10-04-13 11:33 AM

Re: Motorbike trailer

The one my friend owns has the option of moving the wheel holder to the centre if you are only taking one bike.

Redmist 10-04-13 12:13 PM

It depends on how wide the wheels are, I have a double which is perfectly fine carrying just one bike, the wheels are about as wide apart as my Focus estate so its really stable.

Wideboy 10-04-13 12:35 PM

Its not advised as the weight needs to be centralised. Can cause all sorts of problems with snaking ect. People still do it but if you were to have a accident I'm not sure how you'd stand with having an uneven load or what ever

Mines got three tracks. Outside two for carrying two bikes and one in the middle for carrying one bike

Wideboy 10-04-13 12:35 PM

Its not advised as the weight needs to be centralised. Can cause all sorts of problems with snaking ect. People still do it but if you were to have a accident I'm not sure how you'd stand with having an uneven load or what ever

Mines got three tracks. Outside two for carrying two bikes and one in the middle for carrying one bike

Spank86 10-04-13 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wideboy (Post 2855084)

Shouldn't you be giving it the hard sell about now?

Wideboy 10-04-13 04:40 PM

Re: One bike on two bike trailer - safe?

not 100% decided yet if I'm going to sell it yet. Can't help but think I'm selling a useful commodity

Kenzie 10-04-13 05:49 PM

Don't sell it. The moment you do, you will need it. I deal with trailers day in day out and our hire one is rigged with three rails for this reason. Keeps the weight even and prevents snaking/possible tip over.

FG1 10-04-13 06:02 PM

Sorry to derail slightly but.....
I have a meriva and was thinking about fitting a tow bar. Anybody know a "competitive" place to get one from ?

Wideboy 10-04-13 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenzie (Post 2855167)
Don't sell it. The moment you do, you will need it. I deal with trailers day in day out and our hire one is rigged with three rails for this reason. Keeps the weight even and prevents snaking/possible tip over.

got a van now, only reason i want to keep it is because i put alot of effort into building it

Quote:

Originally Posted by FG1 (Post 2855175)
Sorry to derail slightly but.....
I have a meriva and was thinking about fitting a tow bar. Anybody know a "competitive" place to get one from ?

Get some quotes off mobile fitters on ebay. They'll come and do it whilst your at work or home.