SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Insurance headache (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=229238)

DomP 12-01-18 05:44 PM

Insurance headache

So I've sold my sv with just 2 1/2 weeks left to run on my policy but my insurer says they won't switch over to my Daytona because it has no immobiliser.

What can I do to get me through the next two and a bit weeks where by my bike will only be locked in a garage to get the extra year no claims?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

DomP 12-01-18 07:46 PM

Re: Insurance headache

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomP (Post 3081585)
So I've sold my sv with just 2 1/2 weeks left to run on my policy but my insurer says they won't switch over to my Daytona because it has no immobiliser.

What can I do to get me through the next two and a bit weeks where by my bike will only be locked in a garage to get the extra year no claims?

Seems my only option is to cancel this policy

Chris_SVS 12-01-18 08:12 PM

Do they have fees for cancellation? If the extra year helped cost Id be letting it run, and take my business elsewhere

DomP 12-01-18 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_SVS (Post 3081589)
Do they have fees for cancellation? If so I'd just let it run and take the extra years NCB to another insurer.

Assuming the bike isn't needed

That's the problem, the policy ends 31st of this month but I have sold my sv and it's going tomorrow

embee 12-01-18 10:17 PM

Buy the cheapest insurable bike you can find, transfer the insurance to that until the end of Jan, then see about transferring with a new policy to the Daytona, sell the cheapie. Messy but legal and could work for you. Just as a quick look, something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-Kymco-Pulsar-MOT-SPARES-OR-REPAIRS/222401044564?hash=item33c822a054:g:oowAAOSwUKxYmJs k

Depends how much money you're talking about as to what it's worth doing to save it.

Thing is, once you've sold your current bike you MUST stop the insurance on it, otherwise it can come back and bite you.

DomP 12-01-18 10:33 PM

That's one way I suppose but I think I've decided I will just start a new policy, I've had some pretty good quotes

Talking Heads 12-01-18 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomP (Post 3081585)

Simplest thing to do is nothing.
Just let the policy run to the end date, then when policy ends insure the Daytona through another insurer.
If you can't get cover with any insurer, fit an immobiliser.

Also worth doing a check on confusethemeerkats etc to see what difference the one year additional no claims discount actually makes.
Get quotes for Xyrs NCD and X-1yrs NCD ;)
Chances are it won't be worth bothering about.
I have full no claims and for some bikes it makes no significant difference to the quote with or without the NCD.

Talking Heads 12-01-18 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by embee (Post 3081600)
Thing is, once you've sold your current bike you MUST stop the insurance on it, otherwise it can come back and bite you.

How?

DomP 12-01-18 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talking Heads (Post 3081604)
How?

Might it cause issues should the new owner have an accident? Or cause him problems insuring?

Talking Heads 12-01-18 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomP (Post 3081605)
Might it cause issues should the new owner have an accident? Or cause him problems insuring?

All you need to do is tell the insurer you have sold the bike, you do not have to cancel the policy.
Tell them you're looking around for another bike and you will get back to them when you need to change the bike on the policy.
Then let it run till the end and collect your NCD.