SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Rear axle nut size - K5? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=166490)

Spiderman 16-05-11 09:10 AM

Rear axle nut size - K5?

Can someone please tell me the size of the axel nut on my rear wheel please. Its a pointy K5 btw.

I know its parked out the back but i have nothing acurate to measure it with here, no Haynes manual at home and a search proved utterly pointless.

Come on oh wise and wonderfull org!!

andrewsmith 16-05-11 09:22 AM

Re: Very simple but very stupid question...

its 32 or 34mm mate.

Spiderman 16-05-11 10:18 AM

Re: Very simple but very stupid question...

hahahahahahahahahaha!!!! You may as well have told me it was the size of the moon or a pea!
Thanks for the guide anyway. I need to order a socket for it today you see so i need to know EXACTLY which it is please.

Go on, find out for me Andrew, you know you wanna ;-)

andrewsmith 16-05-11 10:59 AM

Re: Rear axle nut size - K5?

Sorry mate totally misread the question. My mates been doing my head in as he's trying to see that oversize sockets he's going to need as he's buying a pointy soon!

Yes the subject change is apt

if your talking about the 'castle nut' (item 9 on the fische)

http://www.alpha-sports.com/spst/2005%20SV650,S/54.gif

then this is the answer

Quote:

Originally Posted by svrider
The castle nut on the rear axle is not meant to be used more than a few times. It will eventually fail and/or cross thread your axle after multiple uses.

The size and pitch of the rear axle is 18mm 1.5. The outside diameter of the castle nut is 22mm. The diameter of the fixed axle nut is 24mm.

Options include:
1) Replacing the castle nut after a few uses (no more than 4-5x) as recommended to me by a mechanic. The grade of metal of the castle nut is such that it will fail with time.

2) You can replace the castle nut with a better grade of metal nut of the same size and pitch, use blue thread locker and still use a cotter pin or hitch pin to secure the axle.

punyXpress 16-05-11 11:10 AM

Think it's only US & Canada use castlle nut.
Not much help on size though!

Spiderman 16-05-11 11:15 AM

Thanks Andrew but thats the same info i found online and i know that the US spec is sometimes different to the UK one so i didnt wanna trust that as the absolute final answer. Ah well i thought there would be someone online who wouldknow this from memory or had a Haynes manual with the answer in.

Perhaps i just have to wait till i get home and try and figure it out myself. Somehow. But how? Hmmmmm.

andrewsmith 16-05-11 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punyXpress (Post 2538865)
Think it's only US & Canada use castlle nut.
Not much help on size though!

Yes your right dave. Just had to check the haynes to confirm that.

Spidey ur just after the size nd pitch of the axle. I would seriously doubt a japense manufacturer would change a part like an axle to suit a market.
Its more common for them to change items like nuts which are essentially off the shelf parts

The Guru 16-05-11 11:21 AM

On my SK6 the nut is 22mm and the axel is 24mm.

HTH

This is correct as I had to go and buy 2x sockets rather than borrow my brothers all the time.

Spiderman 16-05-11 11:22 AM

just the size of the nutes each end mate. I can use a bit of paper to mark the size of the "fixed" both on one side but cant do it for the other side, the side the castle nut is as it were.

Stonesie 16-05-11 11:30 AM

It is a 24mm nut and the hex head on the spindle is 22mm, although I didn't need to hold the spindle to get the 24mm nut to tighten... Oh yes, you need to tighten it to 100N:m when you are done so a torque wrench will be required. A good 1/2" drive, 6 sided 24mm impact socket is the weapon of choice.

A word of caution, the little plate under the nut might want to join in the fun and turn with the nut, this will scratch the paint from you're swing arm if you let it, the best way I have found to get it off is with my Impact gun, with a bar you have to 'jerk' it to brake the bond between the 2 and mine have been treated to a smear of grease to stop the plate spinning next time.

Beaten to it because i went and checked.