SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   2007 Annual Rideout (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   ride-out route (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=83439)

rictus01 03-02-07 08:28 PM

ride-out route

OK boys & girls, you know the campsite now so what we're looking for is an interesting route from that location and back.

I've allowed between 11am to 6pm (that's back at site by then)

So what is needed

Distance-perhaps 100-120 miles

Stops- half hour stop (good if you could get a brew maybe ?)

an hour for lunch (needs to have somewhere to get food)

half hour stop (good if you could get a brew maybe ?)

Although only a rough guide, you should get the idea.

so go away and think about it (local guys it's you who are the best for sorting this.) and lets have your ideas here please.

Cheers Mark.

three stops ( 2 of 30 minutes or so and one of an hour for lunch)

Heed 03-02-07 11:41 PM

A run up to Hartside from there would be pretty cool. There's loads of coffee shops around the lakes so wherever we stop shouldn't be a problem.

amarko5 04-02-07 10:56 PM

if your in the lakes then a tour round some of the lakes would be a good idea, however it would be more than a 120 mile trip as your camping quite some way from the "good lakes roads"

do you fancy doing hardknott and wrynose passes " if dry excellent and challenging for most" if Wet could turn out a Chore just getting over them.

personally i would get everyone up earlier and increase the length of the run.

will have a looksee if i can sort out a nice route or 2 that i feel the org would enjoy :wink:

i have a route in mind approx 180 miles (gasp) but for that you will get the following

hardknott pass
Wrynose pass
Honister pass
Kirkstone pass

A view of these lakes
windemere
crummock water
buttermere
derwent water
back end of ullswater

if we add another 10 miles or so also was****er and an exceptionaly good place for a meal circa 7 to 10 pounds sit down lunch (pub)

180 miles does not sound a long time at 60 mph BUT in the lakes you will be doing more like 20 to 30 mph "but the Scenery will BLOW your mind"

Tricky route to plan "lots of little country lanes" (even i get lost sometimes) however it's all in the fun

Quiff Wichard 04-02-07 11:09 PM

Mark has gotta be the man to sort a route surely.. no offence to anyone else!

rictus01 05-02-07 12:05 AM

Please bear in mind the ride-out can't be to taxing, as we very well may have inexperienced riders on it, the distance, route & stops should reflect that.

What maybe easy for you and me maybe beyond someone new to big bikes.

Cheers Mark.

Quiff Wichard 05-02-07 03:34 AM

tell u what-
the norf mets south rideout last time.

the roads around the lakes were yummy.. real nice.. good scenery- easy stop off points and sorta follow the road right round the lake and u cant get lost..

after we came down from the viaduct and throughthe villages then over a bridge we hit the big lake and it really opened up with amazing views an was nicely spaced out..

it was like riding inside a postcard !!... hartside was a toughy .! and would be for many new riders or semi experienced ones like moi !.. as was proven.

but- that said. the N meets S was at a fairly brisk pace .! race pace if u were at the front- and as has been said tis is a rideout.. nice pace- and social side too.. !

just my 2p ... i will now shut up and let u real northerners sort out the route.. petrol stops could be key in that barren land that is the lakes!!

mattSV 05-02-07 08:10 AM

I have to agree with Rictus

North/South was an awesome ride, however I was absolutely knackered at the end of it. I think we were in the saddle from around 8:30 to 6pm, and as Quiff said riding through amazing scenery at 'enthusiastic' speeds.

For me, the AR will be more about meeting everyone, rather than blatting about everywhere - plus I will have a pillion this time, so getting airborne on the road to Ribblehead will not be an option this time :lol:

However, a selection of some of the roads we did on North/South would be bloody good.

zunkus 05-02-07 07:39 PM

He he!! You are a naughty bunch :)

I'll be taking off from London on Friday and ending up at Cardiff at the end of the day. On the second day Saturday I'll end up somewhere near Conwey. Do you think I'll be able to meet you guys Saturday or Sunday? I was planning on heading south but will ride along with you guys if we meet.

Razor 06-02-07 01:59 PM

So there's only a ride-out on the saturday?
What about Sunday? Nobody going to hang around for another quick blast?
Or Monday for that matter...

hovis 06-02-07 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor

i will :wink:

Viney 06-02-07 02:31 PM

Quote:

So of us will have a 300+ miles ride home, so i doubt it.

As for Amarkos route... all well and good, but you havent been on a AR! 180 miles is too long.

It needs to be simple, as in not a huge amount of turns/Junctions or too many very narrow roads. Its difficult getting 20 bikes to stay togehter let alone 60+ bikes. always that to take into mind.

Yes there might be hundereds of amazing roads, but we only ned a few, sort of strung togehter, and NO Motorway ;)

Quiff Wichard 06-02-07 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viney
Quote:

As for Amarkos route... all well and good, but you havent been on a AR! 180 miles is too long.

It needs to be simple, as in not a huge amount of turns/Junctions or too many very narrow roads. Its difficult getting 20 bikes to stay togehter let alone 60+ bikes. always that to take into mind.

Yes there might be hundereds of amazing roads, but we only ned a few, sort of strung togehter, and NO Motorway ;)

Good points Mr Vine...

Heed 06-02-07 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hovi5
Quote:

i will :wink:

My campings currently booked until Sunday but I can stay a while longer as I live locally and have a very understanding boss who's also a biker. He may be coming along too but he's the one on the tiger.

hovis 06-02-07 11:15 PM

i will be booking this friday, but i might stop off in bradford to visit family on the way home as if i book tuesday off, i wont have to be in work untill the friday.

which is nice :lol:

Ed 06-02-07 11:58 PM

Quote:

i will be booking this friday, but i might stop off in bradford to visit family on the way home as if i book tuesday off, i wont have to be in work untill the friday.

I simply cannot work that one out :-s

amarko5 07-02-07 12:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ohh but i have mr Viney

if you wants a shorter route then a shorter route you shall have, one thing though your gonna be travelling 300 miles to see exceptionally little of the lakes if the route is to be 120 miles.

pity the other site at sykeside or the one near penrith wern't suitable as the campsite your at eats up 50 or so miles (there and back) before you hit the lakes :(

hovis 07-02-07 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed
Quote:

:oops: no....nor me?

i will start again

i will be booking the campsite this friday, for the friday & saturday nights of the ride out.the week after the ride out im working tuesday & friday, so...if i book the tuesday off i will not have to be in work untill the friday so i might stay in bradford for a few days after the weekend of the AR :shock:

Baph 07-02-07 10:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed
Quote:

i will start again

i will be booking the campsite this friday, for the friday & saturday nights of the ride out.the week after the ride out im working tuesday & friday, so...if i book the tuesday off i will not have to be in work untill the friday so i might stay in bradford for a few days after the weekend of the AR :shock:

The question is, why would you want to do that? I mean, come on, bradford...

hovis 07-02-07 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baph
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed
Quote:

i will start again

The question is, why would you want to do that? I mean, come on, bradford...

cos my aunty BAKES propper PARKIN :chef:

petevtwin650 08-02-07 10:44 PM

Can't make this due to being abroad, so feel free to ignore/ridicule my comments.

Firstly aren't the Lakes gonna be just a bit too busy this time of year?

Secondly if you do the Lakes, would it not be possible to have a route where some of the riders can stop and wait whilst those wanting more of the riding experience can hoon off and collect the waiting pack on the way back to continue en-mass.

Quiff Wichard 08-02-07 10:49 PM

we did that on the north meets south-

it worked well.

PBx 12-02-07 12:49 PM

I love the passes, but I think that they might not be quite the right thing for an AR route. The other point is that they are at the opposite side of the lakes. They might however be great for a run on the Sunday?

If people do want the lakes then how about focussing more on the East? How about blasting up to Bowness (there is a pretty large bike park and overspill should be do-able) then A592 south -> Newby Bridge-> Penny Bridge -> Torver -> Coniston -> Ambleside ->up the struggle to Kirkstone-> Patterdale -> Pooley Bridge then back down the A6?

If not the lakes then a nice shorty is up to Sedburgh (or Hawes) then Kirby Stephen ->b6259-> Appleby->Orton->Shap->A6->Kendal->Kirby Lonsdale for the Bridge.

On second thoughts Appleby in June is a bad plan because of the fair!

Anyway my 2p

Viney 12-02-07 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amarko5
Quote:

Quote:

Ohh but i have mr Viney

if you wants a shorter route then a shorter route you shall have, one thing though your gonna be travelling 300 miles to see exceptionally little of the lakes if the route is to be 120 miles.

pity the other site at sykeside or the one near penrith wern't suitable as the campsite your at eats up 50 or so miles (there and back) before you hit the lakes :(

I know you have, i was pulling ya leg. Anyway, id dont want to see the lakes, i voted for a south Wales ride ;)

Baph 30-03-07 08:21 AM

Re: ride-out route

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiff Wichard (Post 1199418)
its a bit akin to takin a novice skier down a black run isnt it..

we do have to accomodate to the more newer riders.. and maybe build in a 20 mile "loop" like rictus said - for the good riders- fast riders etc.. to go off and play while the scenic riders like me have another brew.

and chocolate cake.!

Quiff, you've just seen from last weekend that I can be quick. But in all honesty, on the AR, I think I'll be joining you for a brew & a bite. Can't be bothered with all that racing around lark on roads I don't know.

Of course, if I'm in the mood for a blast on the day, you can forget what I just said :oops:

I reckon the loop idea is a definite good one, gives folks the choice.

glade 03-04-07 03:26 PM

Any chance of someone showing the rideout route on google earth like in this month's bike mag???

northwind 15-04-07 02:20 AM

I'll be around for a few days on one end or the other if all goes according to plan... I take Viney's point but to me, the fact that it's a few hundred miles to get there is all the more reason to make the most of it once I'm there. So I figure on doing them passes...

But everyone's exactly right, the AR ride has to be reasonably short, reasonably straightforward, and contain no roads'o'doom. I took a mixed bag group of riders out a while back along a route that we use up here quite often that has 2 real bas-assed roads and frankly it was not smart. Both of the 2 challenging roads were optional extras but everybody ended up doing them, and tbh there were a few people well out of their depth. It was, to be quite honest, luck that got us through the day with no accidents, because nobody wanted to admit they were biting off more than they could chew, either to themselves or to anyone else. That's no good... And the last thing we want on the day is a crash, however minor.

(incidentally, Jenni, if you're reading this and thinking "Is he talking about me", then no I'm not)

Also, we can't put people off the ride. The day before or the day after there'll be plenty of time for pass bagging, at whatever speed you choose. Half the point of the AR- maybe more than half- is the social gathering, it just so happens to be based around a rideout.

All IMO of course.

Quiff Wichard 29-05-07 07:46 PM

we do have to accomodate to the more newer riders.. and maybe build in a 20 mile "loop" like rictus said - for the good riders- fast riders etc.. to go off and play while the scenic riders like me have another brew.

and chocolate cake.!

Gordon B 31-05-07 02:29 PM

Quote:

and chocolate cake.!

Gotta say, this loop idea works for me. Like the idea that you can just drop in and drop out at any time through the day. And always up for brew and cake....

Also means you can ride with different people throughout the day as well, so if you fancy a blat you can have one, but if you want to 'ooh' and 'ahhh'
at the countryside thats also possible.

G

Baph 31-05-07 02:38 PM

+1 for the loop idea. Not sure where my previous post about it has dissapeared to. Maybe it's pulled over for a bit to stuff its face with cake. :scratch:

Viney 31-05-07 02:48 PM

Quote:

and chocolate cake.!

I think that will detract from the spirit of the annual rideout 100%, a bad idea. IMHO of course.

Has a route actually been draughted yet?

Baph 31-05-07 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viney (Post 1200850)
I think that will detract from the spirit of the annual rideout 100%, a bad idea. IMHO of course.

I haven't seen anything of a route posted. However, I'm lead to believe that the AR is more of a social event than a ride, so I don't see how stopping for a chinwag & a brew will detract from that. :scratch:

Of course, this will be the first time I've attended the AR, so I could be talking complete manure. I think for the slower/novice/less experience etc riders, that the potential extra stop(s) would be handy, even if no-one uses them, just as a comfort thing.

Viney 31-05-07 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baph (Post 1200888)
I haven't seen anything of a route posted. However, I'm lead to believe that the AR is more of a social event than a ride, so I don't see how stopping for a chinwag & a brew will detract from that. :scratch:

Of course, this will be the first time I've attended the AR, so I could be talking complete manure. I think for the slower/novice/less experience etc riders, that the potential extra stop(s) would be handy, even if no-one uses them, just as a comfort thing.

It wasnt that part that i was quibbling aout, it was the splinter group doing thier own thing on a 'loop' kind of thing

northwind 31-05-07 05:40 PM

I'd see that as an extra rather than an either or... We've done this up here, with the Essex boys- doing Nutty's wibbly wobbly as an optional part, or bypassing it and meeting up again at the end. Would have worked a charm, if it weren't for the fact that some people followed me down the shortcut instead of Nutty down the fun road. Which does raise a concern there, you maybe need twice as many markers and an extra leader and trail to do this.

I can see the argument about not splitting into 2 rides, but I think this is a good compromise, it means you can take on roads you wouldn't want to take the whole group through, without freezing anyone out of the ride. Makes it more inclusive, not less. I missed a leg last year, and it didn't spoil the day at all.

rictus01 31-05-07 05:49 PM

unfortunatly due to a rather disappointing response to this thread by the locals (was hoping they would give some of the good roads around there), other arrangement have had to be made, the route will be planned and announced in the next couple of weeks.

No dividing of the group and no "Loops".

Cheers Mark.

slark01 31-05-07 09:05 PM

As long as there is still brews and cakes, not boffered.
Seriously looking forward to the event and the riding:D

Dicky Ticker 01-06-07 05:34 PM

Only one serious question
------------WHICH PUB AT NIGHT-----------------[Gamecock Inn?]

We will be riding up on the Saturday but would like to join in the social event during the evening and as we will be getting a cab across just wondering if a main central point/pub had been organised

Just incase there might be a partaking of alcholic beverages that is not to say certain members have a liking for the said beverages ---but is has been known in the past

slark01 01-06-07 06:50 PM

I'm new to ride outs so I cannot really offer any decent info.
I did however come across this website, hope it helps
http://www.bestbikingroads.com/

Quiff Wichard 01-06-07 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viney (Post 1200850)

u missed my point. - notjust viney- everyone with similar comments

I didnt meanthe whole Ar was a loop. lol. and u can just nip in and out and do it 3 times if u want.

I meant- like we did on the norf south last year from hartside.. add on a 20 mile loop from a tea stop that returns to said tea stop after- errr 20 miles.!,,,

so if u wanna go and go speedy then do- if not u just stayand drink tea and rest- then the full rideout continues on thefasties return

but it seems now that Rictus has it all in hand..

I must say-- its all turning very complicated for something that was so simple last year.

El Saxo 02-06-07 02:26 PM

Posted this in IB by mistake - seems more relevant to post here:

Quote:

How about a loop from Devil's Bridge out to Ribblehead, Hawes, then back to Devil's Bridge via Sedbergh? (though that might actually be too short come to think of it, and stopping at the Penny Garth caff might be a nightmare depending how many folks attend the rideout!).

Something including those roads would be perfect though I reckon, none of them are too difficult and there's some amazing scenery for a photo opportunity or two - I'm sure Quiff would agree! :wink:

Jester666 03-06-07 03:42 PM

Here's my offering originaly in the Viney 'whinge' (correctly 'whinging' IMHO) thread. http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=90458&page=2

Austwick,
B6255 North past Ribblehead,
to Hawes,
West along the A684,
North up the B6259 to Nateby,
South East along the B6270 to Thwaite,
South past Hardraw Force Falls to Hawes,
East along the A684 to Aysgarth Falls,
South along the B6160 and B6265 to the A65 near Skipton
and finally West along the A65 back to Austwick.