SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Bike won't start (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=231563)

mdh 03-12-18 09:08 PM

Bike won't start

My 2015 Gladius seems to have a problem with starting.
I turn the key on neutral with side stand down and let the fuel pump prime. Then I pull the clutch lever and press starter. The headlight dims and nothing happens. It starts after several attempts.
It's not the battery because it happened even right after I recharged it at home. Also, the voltage of the battery and charging current are correct.
This problem has started couple of months ago and it slowly getting worse. From occasional need to press starter twice to daily need to do it several times.

Biker Biggles 03-12-18 09:29 PM

Re: Bike won't start

The easy thing is to check for poor connections including earths from battery through to starter motor. Some contact cleaner or WD40 in all the connector boxes is always a good idea.

Craig380 03-12-18 09:47 PM

So the headlight dims, but does the starter motor turn over at all? Do you have to press the start button again to get the starter motor to turn at all?

If that is the case, it's either your starter solenoid is going faulty, or the starter motor itself.

But first, double check that the battery connections are clean + shiny, and also tight. Use a 10mm spanner to tighten the clamp bolts, not a screwdriver.

If that doesn't help, try bridging the two bolts of the starter solenoid with an old screwdriver. It will spark a bit, but if it spins the starter easily, the solenoid is failing. If it still doesn't spin the starter normally, then the starter motor has a problem.

Craig380 04-12-18 07:57 AM

Spam /\/\/\

Bibio 04-12-18 11:05 AM

clutch switch...

ophic 04-12-18 11:50 AM

My K3 used to do this occasionally but combined with an error message on the display. Flicking the kill switch off and on used to cure it.

Then it just went away on its own.

edit: Actually... it might have conked out entirely and I replaced the starter motor, or this might have been unrelated. It was a long time ago. Sorry I'm no help at all.

shiftin_gear98 04-12-18 01:00 PM

Mine was an iffy clutch switch, take it apart - clean and possibly scrape off the contacts with a screwdriver - other scraping devices are available.

Give it all a spray with contact cleaner - swear as you try to get all the little sodding widgets back in without crimping any cables. Simples.

mdh 04-12-18 08:54 PM

Thanks everyone. The starter motor does not run when it happens. I'll check the electrical connections. Also, thanks to your suggestions I think it happens more often when the wheel is turned left in parking/locking position. Therefore, the clutch switch is the first suspect. Screwdriver and ACF-50 are ready :)

ophic 04-12-18 11:52 PM

The worrying part is that the headlight dims. That means current is going somewhere. If it was the clutch switch, this wouldn't happen.

Toooldtodie 06-12-18 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ophic (Post 3096115)
The worrying part is that the headlight dims. That means current is going somewhere. If it was the clutch switch, this wouldn't happen.

Headlight dims as you hit the starter button.

As Bibio says, it's the clutch switch. If you clean it, etc and it still doesn't work you can bypass it temporarily while you arrange for a replacement.
Simply unplug the connector and ram a u-shaped piece of wire between the two contacts and switch will be bypassed. Not a long-term solution!