SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Gear Shift Rod bent - Gear Changing problem (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=65801)

Thaleshwar 01-02-06 04:01 PM

Gear Shift Rod bent - Gear Changing problem

Hi,

Recently on one wet evening I slipped on a turning with my SV650S K2; when I lifted the bike I had problem bringing bike into neutral, and I could not see what was wrong as it was pretty dark. Somehow it came in neutral, I gave a start it did start and I could slide in first gear and drove home. On inspecting the damage next day I saw that gear shift rod was badly bent! how I could not know, I was wondering can I straighten the rod or do I need to replace it?

Once the rod is OK will my gear changing problem (I only can get into 1st gear) be sorted or there could be more damage to gear box?

I will really appreciate some helpful suggestion to my above problems.

Thanks & Regards

atko 01-02-06 05:31 PM

sorry to hear about your off!

I've been in the same boat myself, you could try and straighten the bar again but it'll never be the same and all that effort may be useless if it still has problems shifting.

My opinion for peace of mind get it changed, good luck!

Sid Squid 01-02-06 05:50 PM

If it straightens with out breaking it'll be fine, the best way to do this would be to take it off and straighten it on a hard surface, with a hammer if necessary.

If you do remove it, note there is a reverse thread on one end.

TSM 01-02-06 05:52 PM

Been there done that.

You will never feal right that its bent & you will allways notice it.

Other than that as SS said.

Sid Squid 01-02-06 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSM

It'll be fine as long as it's straight, won't "feal" any different at all.

TSM 01-02-06 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSM

It'll be fine as long as it's straight, won't "feal" any different at all.

Thats not what i ment though.

Iansv 01-02-06 07:49 PM

Mines been bent for over a year, I left it that way :lol:

Thaleshwar 02-02-06 06:18 PM

Many Thanks for the helpful suggestion.. I think I have definitely come into right place..

This afternoon I picked up a new one it hardly cost £7.00 incl VAT, however the dealer indicated that its very likely that gear shift rod bent because when bike slipped the gear lever bent and came over under the rod.. so also picked up gear lever which was very quite expensive ad £38.00 but he agreed to take it back if not needed.. well weather permiting I shall try to mend this weekend...

Last Action Pimp 02-02-06 06:56 PM

mine is bent and i dont have a problem and i bent it a year and a half ago

Thaleshwar 02-02-06 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XVS2005
mine is bent and i dont have a problem and i bent it a year and a half ago

Yeah it may be true, but for me after the misshap (falling) for some reason I am not able to shift the gears apart from between 1st and neutral! the only way out for me is - some experience suggestion from this forum, replacing the damage bit and if nothing works then have no alternative but to take it to professionals and pay out heavy..