SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   YSS Shocks (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=237270)

Dave20046 16-09-20 10:57 AM

YSS Shocks

Any one used YSS suspension on anything? I know they've been round a while and apparently an Ex-Wilbers guy now head them up, some mixed reviews on durability but bad seemingly not outweighing the good too much but I'm wondering how they actually perform?

I've got a twin shock bike so Ohlins are £1000-£1500, Nitron £1400 - Yss £550.
I know Ohlins have that gold-plate repuation but something close-ish for a third of the money would suit me, it's not really a knee down bike. At the moment the rear rebound is shot and it's still pacing fairly well...if a little dangerous.

yokohama 16-09-20 03:44 PM

Re: YSS Shocks

I don't know what bike you've got but here might be worth a look too. UK company but based in France, run by an ex-racer. Shocks have a 2yr guarantee and are fully serviceable.
https://shock-factory.co.uk/content/...hock-absorbers

I was looking at a YSS rear (among others) for my SV but eventually went for a monoshock from this company and was very happy with price, build quality and performance.

Bibio 16-09-20 03:58 PM

twin shocks are 1-1 so work harder this is why if you are going to replace them then get ones that can be readily serviced. cheep shocks sound like a good bargain but when it comes down to service time who is able to service them.

the above depends on if your keeping the bike for a long time and if not then just get the cheapest shizz you can.

thedrewski86 16-09-20 05:17 PM

I've been running a YSS on my '07 SV650s this season. It's been fine and I pretty much haven't messed with it since my suspension guy got it dialed in for me. It certainly doesn't have the adjustability of the Ohlins but a $450 shock on a $3000 bike w/ 40k miles sounded about right to me. If I want higher end suspension I think I'll buy a gsxr.

Dave20046 16-09-20 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 3119990)
twin shocks are 1-1 so work harder this is why if you are going to replace them then get ones that can be readily serviced. cheep shocks sound like a good bargain but when it comes down to service time who is able to service them.

the above depends on if your keeping the bike for a long time and if not then just get the cheapest shizz you can.

These YSS are fully serviceable and fully adjustable. They're popular on Bonneville's and I know a few people who have done many miles on them...however it says nothing about if they go round corners :razz:

Dave20046 16-09-20 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yokohama (Post 3119989)
I don't know what bike you've got but here might be worth a look too. UK company but based in France, run by an ex-racer. Shocks have a 2yr guarantee and are fully serviceable.
https://shock-factory.co.uk/content/...hock-absorbers

I was looking at a YSS rear (among others) for my SV but eventually went for a monoshock from this company and was very happy with price, build quality and performance.

Thanks for that, they actually do a set with internal reservoir £400 . Not sure how I feel about combined compression & rebound adjustment though. Do you know if they are serviceable? Approx how many miles have you done?

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedrewski86 (Post 3119996)
I've been running a YSS on my '07 SV650s this season. It's been fine and I pretty much haven't messed with it since my suspension guy got it dialed in for me. It certainly doesn't have the adjustability of the Ohlins but a $450 shock on a $3000 bike w/ 40k miles sounded about right to me. If I want higher end suspension I think I'll buy a gsxr.

Thanks, gives me a bit of confidence. Just got to make the decision now, the other plus side of Ohlins is the depreciation. I'd probably be able to sell them for a few hundred when I'm done with the bike. hmmm

Bibio 16-09-20 08:16 PM

combined rebound/comp is not as bad as you might think as its only the slow side that it affects. yes its best to have both separate but problem is most folk dont know how to adjust them properly so end up winding the rebound up too high (slow) to compensate what is a compression problem. having both on same valve takes the guesswork out and lets face it if your muscling a bonny up back lanes or twisty roads too quick your asking for trouble.. lol

in case you dont know the 'slow side' is for braking/accelerating/cornering and not pot hole/bump, thats the job of the internal valving.

but you already know all of this so i'll shut up :-)

Adam Ef 16-09-20 08:57 PM

Have you looked at Hagon? Some of their shocks are good value.

thedrewski86 16-09-20 09:09 PM

^^ what Biblio said is so true. This is also why I ride an sv650 and I'm still a lesser rider than my bike.

I would also say that an average rider is asking for trouble running a Bonneville fast through the twisties. That being said whenever I follow a buddy of mine who has a bit of a racing resume on his old Bonnevilles (stock suspension at that) I can't keep up. It all comes down to the rider.

Dave20046 16-09-20 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 3120002)
combined rebound/comp is not as bad as you might think as its only the slow side that it affects. yes its best to have both separate but problem is most folk dont know how to adjust them properly so end up winding the rebound up too high (slow) to compensate what is a compression problem. having both on same valve takes the guesswork out and lets face it if your muscling a bonny up back lanes or twisty roads too quick your asking for trouble.. lol

in case you dont know the 'slow side' is for braking/accelerating/cornering and not pot hole/bump, thats the job of the internal valving.

but you already know all of this so i'll shut up :-)

Cheers Bibio, I know the latter but not much about single adjustment - I've always had full adjustment on my bikes. I knew it maintained an 'acceptable ratio' between reb and comp which certainly sounds safer.

Don't worry it's not a bonne :smt081 You're probably right about the asking for trouble thing though.