SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Any recommendations please (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=198130)

appollo1 02-05-13 11:14 PM

Any recommendations please

I am soon to move house and will be going to a property that unfortunately does not have the current luxury of a garage.

The new house does have a nice big garden so i will be looking at getting a shed of some sort to store my bike and numerous childrens bicycles etc.

OMO What do you recommend?

I have searched before somebody tells me to do a search and not come up with any conclusive ideas.

Has anyone bought a "shed" to store their bike and if so which one?

Is wood better than metal?

What extra security measures can you use when the bike is inside etc etc etc?

Thanks in advance

Bibio 02-05-13 11:20 PM

Re: Any recommendations please

don't get metal they are crap. if you do go down the wood route get a good one and it will pay for itself in years to come.

big feck off locks and good hinges with deadbolts in the checks. sometimes you can make it look to secure and people wonder what's so special that requires all the locks

Paul the 6th 03-05-13 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 2862533)
sometimes you can make it look too secure and people wonder what's so special that requires all the locks

"If it's worth locking up, it's probably worth having..."

Raymondo 03-05-13 08:00 AM

Stick to wooden sheds as very easy to put up and more water tight and very easy to repair and secure. Regarding security very easy to secure but remember massive locks look good on the doors but you still have windows and wooden sides..... if there was high chance of theft i would line the inside with sterling board or any other cheap sheeting and this will also insulate further etc, also i would either run a shed alarm or just buy a screamer lock for it.
Metal sheds are made of very thin sheet can slice them open with sharp knife and leak so bad all the joints in mine needed sealing. and soooooooo many pieces to put together..

second hand sheds are fine but will need new roof felt as they get torn when dismantling.......

Sir Trev 03-05-13 08:11 AM

[QUOTE=Raymondo;2862579]Regarding security very easy to secure but remember massive locks look good on the doors but you still have windows and wooden sides..... QUOTE]

Window glass can be replaced with laminated quite cheaply so they're harder to get through - just remember to coach bolt them in securely with strong battens so the panels cannot be levered off. A good lock on the door can be beefed up with hinge bolts and security screws.

A determined thief will as always get through all this but if the sides are strong and the visible security is strong the opportunist will (hopefully) go elsewhere.

Raymondo 03-05-13 08:17 AM

^^^^ totally agree, very very easy to secure wooden sheds. Nothing can ever be 100% secure, just trying to lessen the appeal to the opportunistic scum bag.

wyrdness 03-05-13 09:31 AM

For securing your bike, I'd suggest a bucketful of concrete with a ground anchor set into it, and a decent chain. You might be able to bury the concrete under the shed somehow.

punyXpress 03-05-13 10:14 AM

. . and a fierce-looking German Shepherd?

andrewsmith 03-05-13 10:31 AM

Get a wood shed and treat it.
With the hinges and locks drill through and put countersunk screw head bolts with a standard and nyloc nuts on the back.

If your putting paving flags underneath, get a oxford anchor and drill a couple of hilti bolts into them

JamesMio 03-05-13 11:48 AM

Just to go against pretty much everything the others have said...

These are what they've got 8 of out the back at the Buccleuch -

http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/motorcycle-storage

They're very, very good - doddle to get the bike in and out of, watertight yet ventilated to prevent condensation and rust etc.

Size-wise - I've had my SV & Blade in the standard one, Fallout's fully loaded Tiger goes in there fine too - unless you're planning on swapping for a Goldwing any time soon I'd say that one would be fine. Larger one would let you stick the kid's push-bikes etc in there too.