SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Natwest card reader for online banking (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=96691)

monkey 11-09-07 05:58 PM

Natwest card reader for online banking

Got home from work today and there was a parcel waiting for me. Black, shiny and from Hinkley! I thought it was something from Triumph. Alas no. Something from my bank. It's a card reader that when you slot your bank card into and enter your pin generates a random number (or not so random) that the on-line banking understands. It's for added security. Clever huh? Might have to spend some money to test it out.

:)

Alpinestarhero 11-09-07 07:37 PM

Re: Natwest card reader for online banking

My sister got the same thing through the other day, a brilliant idea I think!

Natwest, pretty good for customers (not so good for employees)

Matt

rigor 11-09-07 07:57 PM

Had something similar for a few years now from my bank. It's a number generator that you type a pin into, and then type the resulting number into the online bank. Gives really good piece of mind, cause even if someone steals the generator, it's useless without the pin.

More banks will start rolling these type of things out to customers.

TSM 11-09-07 07:59 PM

i got nout yet, they are not saying anything about it on their website, prolly a trial at the moment with natwest or just a quiet rollout.

monkey 11-09-07 08:36 PM

I wonder what will happen when I change my pin number though? Hmmmn. It even gives you three tries!

rigor 11-09-07 09:08 PM

Hey, I've just thought of this great scam!!

You send a bunch of card readers out to people, telling them it's to do with internet banking. They plug their card in and enter their pin and a wireless card in the reader sends the card details and pin number to a van waiting outside, where you clone the card and steal all their money!!

Genius :D:smt077

monkey 11-09-07 09:28 PM

Genius! I wouldn't like to be the one sitting in the van til the person decides to try it out though.
:pirat:

rigor 11-09-07 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teriyakimonkey (Post 1284719)
Genius! I wouldn't like to be the one sitting in the van til the person decides to try it out though.
:pirat:

Meh, how long did you wait to try it though, come on, be honest ;)

monkey 11-09-07 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rigor (Post 1284724)
Meh, how long did you wait to try it though, come on, be honest ;)

About a minute and a half. Touche!
:)

sarah 11-09-07 10:39 PM

I got one of these in the post too.

Seems really annoying, means that I'll have to take the device with me to work in case I want to do internet banking there and then remember to take it home with me.