SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Bread and breadmakers (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=175079)

carpet monster 12-02-12 09:52 AM

Bread and breadmakers

I bought a breadmaker with the intention of making my own loaves and saving some wedge. Trouble is, after 6 months of usage I'm not sure it benefits me! The machine takes up a fair bit of space in my cramped kitchen, and after buying all the ingredients and running the thing for three hours I'm not sure the end results are any cheaper, when Sainsbury's sell two loaves for £2.

Especially when it makes a small loaf that lasts maybe three days. And has a hole in the bottom where the "stirrer" needs removing.

Anyone had the same idea? I haven't done the maths but I reckon any cost saving is minimal at best.

keith_d 12-02-12 10:00 AM

Re: Bread and breadmakers

Bread makers can't compete with mass produced bread on cost. You're buying flour and energy at retail prices. The big bakeries are buying flour by the tonne and using much less energy per loaf because they're baking thousands.

The benefit of a bread maker is that you get fresh baked bread whenever you want it. And on a Sunday morning there are only two things that beat the smell of baking bread. Frying bacon and making bacon.

timwilky 12-02-12 10:01 AM

I wouldn't know about the machines. But my mother used to make our bread when I was a kid. Initially the mother pride truck would drop off a couple of loaves every day. but my mother did the sums.

She used to buy the flour in 56lb sacks, there was always a couple of loaves proving and whilst being baked smelled delicious. But the real winner was the taste.

Good proper bread traditionally made. wonderful taste and texture. Or a standard soggy loaf, tasteless and bland. I know which I prefer.

Even today I will not touch cheap bread. I admit I do buy from the supermarket but my choice is limited to Bergen soya/linseed as this is a low GI bread.

Fallout 12-02-12 10:11 AM

We have one too, and use it quite a lot, but as has been said, they do not save you much money, if any. They're for convenience only. We just keep packs of ready mixed flours of different varieties in the cupboard. Then if we run out of bread or just fancy some fresh bread but aren't going down the shops, we can whack on the bread maker.

So yeah, the 'saving some wedge' bit of your equation is the bit that doesn't add up. ;)

SoulKiss 12-02-12 10:26 AM

Had one, was good, nice to wake to the smell of bread.

Like you thought, didnt like the small loaf with the hole in the bottom

So I started making from scratch on my own without the breadmaker.

That was even better, only issue is you cant do it to wake you to the smell of baking bread, but hey you cant have everything.

Recipe was even easier/less ingredients than the breadmaker, was essentially just Flour, Water, Yeast and Sugar and if you like a softer crust, some vegetable oil.

Haven't made it in ages, and don't know where my recipe went to in my house move.

shonadoll 12-02-12 10:31 AM

Love mine, but no doesnt save money. It does taste better and there's less crap in it, but the kids pounce on it soons as its ready and it's gone- we bought a bread slicer which helps!

maviczap 12-02-12 10:42 AM

handy thing to have when everyone has been panic buying all the bread because of a few flakes of snow and the papers have said its the next ice age arriving.

As wot the others have said, no savings, but fresh baked bread smells lovely

shonadoll 12-02-12 10:54 AM

Oh and it's great for adding stuff to- sunflower seeds are gorgeous bung a handful of them in, or pumpkin seeds.

littleoldman2 12-02-12 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shonadoll (Post 2661794)
Oh and it's great for adding stuff to- sunflower seeds are gorgeous bung a handful of them in, or pumpkin seeds.

I've got a recipe book one recipe is for sausage bread, LUSH.

Today I'm going to do Ciabatta dough in the bread machine, then put it in the oven when the roast comes out.

tigersaw 12-02-12 11:58 AM

Be careful adding stuff. Someone added something to my pizza once, it made me laugh for an hour then eat a box of pringles.