SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   R & G heated grips for K3 (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=228917)

Jayneflakes 09-11-17 12:54 PM

R & G heated grips for K3

Hi folks, just after a quick opinion. I am looking for heated grips now that the arthritis is biting into my hand bones and while perusing the internet I found a set by R & G claiming to be specifically made for the K3. What I can see looks fairly generic and it is just a way for M & P to get extra sales.

Anyway, have any of you fitted them at all? How well do they work and are they worth the investment?

The advice from my GP is that I need to keep my hands warm at all times and thus if these are any good, they will be going on the Christmas list.

This is the evil Bay link so do please let me know if you have a helpful opinion. Sadly I miss the old days of having a Keith D answer! :smt044

DarrenSV650S 09-11-17 01:18 PM

Re: R & G heated grips for K3

I found with heated grips that I was holding on to the bars tighter to feel the warmth, so my hands got tired very quick. They also don't warm the exposed side of your hand or your finger tips. I think you'd be much better with heated inner gloves

Jayneflakes 09-11-17 01:38 PM

Thank you for your comment, that is something to think about. :D

Stilo 09-11-17 01:46 PM

And bolt on hand shields, you would be surprised how much wind they keep off

Bibio 09-11-17 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S (Post 3079376)
I found with heated grips that I was holding on to the bars tighter to feel the warmth, so my hands got tired very quick. They also don't warm the exposed side of your hand or your finger tips. I think you'd be much better with heated inner gloves

i sort of agree but it really depends on how cold the outside temps are and the type of gloves you use. thin gloves dont keep the heat in and makes things cool down too quick so to be effective you need to use winter gloves.

heated gloves are the answer and the only thing i found with heated gloves is the cable's are nippy. i ended stitching the cables into a top. you have to get used to remembering to connect/disconnect every time you get on/off the bike but you soon get used to it. depending on how far you go then battery powered ones might be a better idea.

ooohhh and the grips are not bike dependant, its just an advert for those that cant work things out.

Jayneflakes 09-11-17 02:11 PM

Thank you chaps, informative as always.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stilo (Post 3079384)
And bolt on hand shields, you would be surprised how much wind they keep off

This is something that I have considered, but with the modifications I have already done, room is tight up there already. This is because I have a six inch bar lift over standard. :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 3079385)
i sort of agree but it really depends on how cold the outside temps are and the type of gloves you use. thin gloves dont keep the heat in and makes things cool down too quick so to be effective you need to use winter gloves.

This is a bit of a worry, I am currently struggling with thicker winter gloves because it has increased my pain levels in my knackered fingers. I was hoping that I would be able to use thinner gloves. If only I had listened at school when they said that finger bingo was bad for us! :smt084

Quote:

heated gloves are the answer and the only thing i found with heated gloves is the cable's are nippy. i ended stitching the cables into a top. you have to get used to remembering to connect/disconnect every time you get on/off the bike but you soon get used to it. depending on how far you go then battery powered ones might be a better idea.

Given that I ride very little in winter due to pain, battery powered gloves may be perfect for me. I could also use them for other occasions (keep it clean folks! :smt084 ) such as winter walks to the shops. Do you have a recommendation for a good brand to look out for? :D

Quote:

ooohhh and the grips are not bike dependant, its just an advert for those that cant work things out.

As I thought, thank you. :thumbsup:

Bibio 09-11-17 02:29 PM

something else i will add. gloves and their sizing, too tight a glove will cause pins'n'needles as it stops the blood circulation to the tips of your fingers. if there is any pressure on the tips of your fingers then the gloves are wrong. gloves are like boots they must be tried on and fit correctly.

ophic 09-11-17 03:43 PM

I can categorically state, from my old 55 mile each way all weather motorway commute, that hand guards and heated grips are not enough for seriously cold weather. They're quite convenient for tootling around town, mind.

timwilky 09-11-17 03:54 PM

I suffer arthritis in my hands. I have a pair of heated gloves and they are wonderful, unsightly, unwieldy and more like old fashioned gauntlets. But bloody toasty, so much so that I am considering other heated clothing. especially the socks

Chris_SVS 09-11-17 04:31 PM

I have the same grips, very much a generic fit and I had to cut down the throttle side grip a bit.

But very cosy in the mornings and with a bibio gizmo, they somehow remember the last heat setting so 1 press and they're on 60% with no faffing around