SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Soho Massive (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Anyone good with fibreglass? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=133966)

dafne 15-06-09 08:39 PM

Anyone good with fibreglass?

As above.

I've removed the undertray off my bike to repair it, but its a little bit worse that I thought :neutral:

Its one of the Suzuki OEM TCP ones, which are like hens teeth these days.

Is anyone here good with fibreglass and able to look at repairing it for me (i.e. fixing the cracks, remaking broken fittings etc). If not, can anybody suggest someone in London that would be able to do it?

Ta!

Airwolf 15-06-09 09:47 PM

Re: Anyone good with fibreglass?

have you got a pic or two of what needs doing and where abouts are you again.

done some repairs, but does depend what needs doing.

will give it a try.

fibreglass can be a pain, to reienforce, may need extra work.

pics will help.

squirrel_hunter 15-06-09 10:02 PM

I'm no expert, in fact I'm yet to dabble, but I have read up on the subject.

From what I understand the OEM stuff is ABS plastic and repair with fiber glass is not recommended. Not that it won't work or anything just that it won't be as strong. Best recommendation is plastex or liquid plastic.

I could however be wrong, just my understanding.

dafne 15-06-09 10:06 PM

I haven't got pics at the moment, so i'll get some tomorrow. I'm based in Lambeth, but i've only got very basic tools with me (i.e. no power tools)

There are quite a few cracks which look like they've been bodged with a glue gun or silicon sealant type stuff at some point and three of the tabs have broken off completely (although, I still have two of them). I've started stripping the glue off so I can see the extent of the damage. I'm going to have an attempt to fix it on the weekend, but i'll have to borrow a drill or get my mum to send down some of my tools from home.

dafne 15-06-09 10:09 PM

Hmmm, glad you said that. Checked the manufacturers website, which seems to confirm it! On that note, how would I go about repairing it?

squirrel_hunter 15-06-09 11:08 PM

I think Plastex is what you're after then.

Airwolf 16-06-09 07:16 PM

i,m only at south wimbledon.
i have most things, drill, sander etc.
just let me know...

rictus01 19-06-09 03:06 AM

you probably get away with a bit of plastic welding, if you can find a busted bit of fairing it can be welded on behind to suppose the repair.

Cheers Mark.

dafne 20-06-09 05:17 PM

I bought some of that Plastex stuff in the end.

Basically. Its awesome! Undertray is pretty much fixed now. I've had to order a little dremel style tool just so I can do one or two of the cracks that haven't fully broken yet, but absolutely brilliant so far.

Thanks Squirrel :thumright:

Just need to find somewhere to prep and paint it now, and it can go back on. :cool: