SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Oh no, not again (speeding) (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=229518)

Seeker 06-05-18 11:25 AM

Oh no, not again (speeding)

So, 10 days ago I passed a hidden police car when I may have been slightly above the speed limit. Not heard anything about that yet.

Today: a couple of cars doing about 55 on a straight road, trees either side, so I passed them briefly hitting * and...there was the camera van in amongst the trees. It had windows front and back so I'm not going to escape this one.

It's maddening that I had ridden for 60 miles keeping strictly to the limits and then I go blow it on one quick overtake maneuver.

I need to pay more attention :(

(as well as the fine).

PyroUK 06-05-18 11:39 AM

Re: Oh no, not again (speeding)

What was the limit on the road?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Talking Heads 06-05-18 11:52 AM

You could be lucky yet.
Speedos are not always 100% accurate, they are allowed to over-read by up to 10%
If your speedo is say 4% out (not uncommon) and you briefly hit 70 indicated that would be 67.2 actual
There's usually a "tolerance" of 10% over the limit plus 2mph, i.e. 68

Craig380 06-05-18 01:42 PM

SV pointy speedos over-read by 8 to 9% on the standard wheel and tyre size so if you were indicating 70, that's less than 65mph actual speed. It's still possible that you might get done as the 10% plus 2mph tolerance is a guideline rather than a rule but I think it's unlikely that you would get penalised.

PyroUK 06-05-18 03:01 PM

That and if it was momentarily for the overtake might be ok

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Red ones 06-05-18 03:32 PM

My SV Speedo over reads by 10% if GPS is anything to go by. The car is spot on though.

SV650rules 06-05-18 03:49 PM

The camera may have been obstructed by the cars you were passing, were you level with van when you left the cars behind ? Also could the cars have screened your number plate as you passed the van ? If you can check your speedo against a satnav it may give you some reassurance (or not) about what speed you were actually travelling at.

Chris_SVS 06-05-18 04:27 PM

Licence clean currently? I hate the sweating it out but 3 points (possibly awareness course) isn't the end of the world...

It's weird though, how invisible a vehicle covered in HI-VIZ decals is... Chameleon vans..

Chris_SVS 06-05-18 04:56 PM

Not just yourself, the colours don't contrast with leafy green things well so a clever hidey spot for the van

yokohama 06-05-18 05:04 PM

It might depend on which way the van was facing. Not all of them have cameras in both windows but they can do either. The most common layout is the speed radar in the rear window and the number plate snapper in the front I think.