SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Insurance Q: awareness course or points & fine? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=229608)

Craig380 04-06-18 07:23 AM

Insurance Q: awareness course or points & fine?

Does anyone have any experience of whether doing an awareness course bumps up insurance premiums, in the same way that getting points does?

I got pulled over at the weekend and got a NIP for riding without due care (misjudged an overtake, nothing happened, but was observed by police car).

After all the usual license / insurance / MOT checks I had a chat with the officer, he reckoned that given my clean license (never had any previous convictions), I'd probably get offered an awareness course as an alternative to points and a fine.

I know it's not a legal requirement to inform insurers that you've done a course (because it's technically not a conviction) but I don't want to risk them refusing a future claim because I didn't tell them.

So any experiences would be very welcome, thanks

Grim-Lock 04-06-18 07:33 AM

Re: Insurance Q: awareness course or points & fine?

i believe user LittlePeaHead actually got a discount from her premium by arguing a greater awareness and respect for safety after taking a course although your milage may vary.

garynortheast 04-06-18 07:36 AM

When I did my course, the guy leading it made the point that unless there is anything in the small print of your insurance application to the contrary, you do not need to inform the insurance company as the course is not a conviction. He spent several minutes laying this out very clearly to us.

Sir Trev 04-06-18 08:15 AM

I guess if they specifically ask though you should be truthful. One advantage of an online application of course is if it's not on the form then it will never come up but if you call and speak to a human you may be asked. Got a feeling I have been in the past when arguing about my automated renewal premium being a joke.

Craig380 04-06-18 08:21 AM

Thanks all - via the power of the intermeweb, my insurer's website (a popular bike insurer whose name rhymes with Barrel Crash :)) specifically states that policyholders do NOT need to inform them about awareness courses. So that's good.

Just have to wait for the letter now, to see if they do offer me a course.

The experience will teach me to be more cautious around Blaenau Ffestiniog, that much is certain ...

Chris_SVS 04-06-18 12:09 PM

Rule of thumb is take care around places I can't pronounce :p

Many years ago my points had no effect on insurance

Craig380 25-06-18 06:59 AM

Thanks again for the advice. Got the letter at the weekend and I've been offered a course. Only a 3-hour job and £85 quid so it's cheaper than the fine and no points either. So it's a no-brainer.

Red Herring 26-06-18 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig380 (Post 3087856)
Thanks again for the advice. Got the letter at the weekend and I've been offered a course. Only a 3-hour job and £85 quid so it's cheaper than the fine and no points either. So it's a no-brainer.

Sure is from their point of view. This way they make £85 and don't actually have to go to the trouble of proving you did anything wrong...... It would have to be one hell of a misjudged overtake for CPS to even consider taking you to court for it, especially if it wasn't on camera and you didn't make any admissions. Just saying.......

Craig380 27-06-18 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Herring (Post 3088025)
It would have to be one hell of a misjudged overtake for CPS to even consider taking you to court for it, especially if it wasn't on camera and you didn't make any admissions. Just saying.......

The observing police car caught the overtake on its dashcam, unfortunately ...

Red Herring 27-06-18 08:39 AM

That's a shame, did you watch the footage? Without embarrassing yourself are you able to give some detail to the circumstance, not wishing to laugh at your expense, after all we all make mistakes, but it would be useful to appreciate where some coppers may draw the line between a mistake and something they feel ought to be prosecuted.