SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Tyres (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Michelin Road 5 (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=229595)

DarrenSV650S 31-05-18 09:02 PM

Michelin Road 5

Anyone got some yet? I need two new tyres so I'm thinking of giving these a try since they seem to be better than PR4's at everything according to the press. They even have slightly sportier edges which suits me. They're only about £30 more for a set than the PR4's

Talking Heads 01-06-18 07:05 AM

Re: Michelin Road 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S (Post 3086438)
according to the press

Amazed that anyone trusts the press anymore.
Owner reviews are a far better source of information imo

DarrenSV650S 01-06-18 07:14 AM

Yep that's why I asked

Bibio 01-06-18 06:32 PM

Daz, try the roadtech 01's. Dave had them on the FZ1 and rated them better than the storms and lasted much much longer. he was getting about 4-5k out an avon storm rear but after a trip to europe the 01's were only half done at the same mileage. he also said that the wet grip was good. big lad, big bike and not scared to twist the throttle, he rides faster than i do....

i personally dont like the look of the PR5's due to the slick edge, think they would be like ice in the wet when you lean over on it.

i had the PR4's on but never found the wet grip as good as the PR3's. i dont care about dry weather grip as all modern tyres will grip in the dry, wet weather grip is what it boils down to for me.

DarrenSV650S 01-06-18 06:53 PM

hmm I don't care about wet grip lol. I rarely ride in the wet and I certainly don't lean it over when it's wet :p

The last metzler I had was a Z6 and they were lethal in the wet

Bibio 01-06-18 07:55 PM

if your not bothered about wet weather then how about PP2ct's or some other duel compound "sport" tyres.

by all accounts the roadtech 01's are years ahead of the Z6's.

like you i fancy a change but dont want to be a guinea pig, thats why i stick to what i know. yes i would like more miles out a tyre as this one set a season is getting annoying, not to mention expensive.

i still have last seasons tyres on as i only done about 1000 miles so good for the rest of the season. might look at the 01's next set though.

DarrenSV650S 17-06-18 08:25 PM

Got some Road 5's fitted on Friday at 11400 miles. I'll update to see how long they last etc

DarrenSV650S 24-06-18 07:41 PM

Worn in nicely now and feeling great. You can really see and feel the different compounds

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1840/...68e5889a_b.jpg

Bibio 24-06-18 09:39 PM

i'm going to stick my neck out here and say that the rear is going to wear on the edges quicker than the middle.

BTW i done a little googlefoo and found out that Michelin only recommend no more than 35deg angle in the wet.

another thought that i had was the law in that tread had to be a certain percentage of the tyre circumference.

DarrenSV650S 24-06-18 10:33 PM

That would be interesting if the edges wore out first. Can't see it happening though.

I'll need to take my protractor next time I'm out :)

Talking Heads 25-06-18 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 3087838)
another thought that i had was the law in that tread had to be a certain percentage of the tyre circumference.

Think it has to be 100% of the circumference but a continuous band 75% of the width 1mm deep and the pattern visible on the rest?

Bibio 25-06-18 04:06 PM

yup but it does not state how far over in the band the original tread must go.

DarrenSV650S 05-08-18 01:54 PM

I've never seen a tyre turn such a weird colour :-s

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/933/4...d295ce70_b.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1813/...84139374_b.jpg

This is after ~900 miles

Bibio 06-08-18 12:31 PM

nowt to worry about. good news is that your suspension settings seem to be in the correct ball park.

DarrenSV650S 06-08-18 12:44 PM

Oh good. So I was right to leave them completely stock :p

DarrenSV650S 21-04-19 09:48 AM

Nearly 5k miles on these and they still look and feel great! I can see these lasting longer than any other tyre I've had. I will say though, that about 1.5-2k of those miles were mostly motorway blasting. So quite gentle in terms of acceleration. The rest though has been heavy handed B-road blasting :p

https://i.imgur.com/jKNt1R4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/glKcAKw.jpg

DarrenSV650S 28-06-19 05:17 PM

6k miles. It's looking like it might be nearing the end. They seem to just wear in the middle and very edges

https://i.imgur.com/K8l1oUs.jpg

DJ123 01-07-19 05:07 PM

Not bad for a Michelin 'Road' tyre. I get somewhere between 6-8K on the rear of a Pilot Power 2CT on my F800ST.

How did you find the wet grip on these?

DarrenSV650S 01-07-19 06:08 PM

I barely rode it in the wet. The only time I did was blasting down the motorways to France, so I can't really comment on wet grip performance

Toooldtodie 15-07-19 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S (Post 3105088)
I barely rode it in the wet. The only time I did was blasting down the motorways to France, so I can't really comment on wet grip performance

They are great in the wet.
Just wish I could comment on longevity as the last rear lasted 1200 miles before a puncture ruined it, though the one that replaced looked good after 5000 miles... still waiting to wear out a PR5. :(

Wish people would stop dropping **** out of their cars/vans onto the road.

DJ123 25-08-20 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S (Post 3105088)

How did you get on with these in the end? Get much more mileage above the last 6k update? Did you get them fitted again after or tried something different?

I'm considering these as the next set.

DarrenSV650S 25-08-20 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ123 (Post 3119274)
How did you get on with these in the end? Get much more mileage above the last 6k update? Did you get them fitted again after or tried something different?

I'm considering these as the next set.

I swapped the rear out just after that 6k update.

The front has done 8k miles now and is on the wear limit. I'm actually trying to get a new one just now but apparently they are tough to get hold of because they ramped down production over lockdown, so now that everyone is riding again the demand is greater than the supply.

The front wore a lot more evenly than the rear as you would expect. I can't fault them though. Very confidence inspiring. Again though, I'm not a wet weather rider, so can't say anything about that. I don't have any reason to doubt how they would perform though.

Adam Ef 25-08-20 06:26 PM

I had them on my VFR and found them really confidence inspiring. Much more than the PR4. Except when I got two punctures on the rear in quick succession. Both fixable luckily as I didn't have loads of miles on them. Punctures seem to be a common problem with the 5. I liked them so much I got the dealer I got my Striple from to fit some before I bought it (They were swapping out the tyres on it anyway and let me have a choice). Love them on the Striple too. They seem to add a bit more compliance to the ride compared to the Pirelli's and Metzelers I've had on another Striple. Grip feels good again too. Can't comment on mileage yet as I sold the VFR with 3k on them and they still looked new and haven't done many miles on the Striple yet.

DarrenSV650S 27-08-20 05:47 PM

Front after 8k miles. Getting a new one fitted tomorrow

https://i.imgur.com/wXVKK3O.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HKAcUzm.jpg

DJ123 28-08-20 11:37 AM

Similar life to what i get from my Pilot Power 2 CT's. Will try these once i've finished this set off.

svenrico 11-09-20 08:20 PM

Don't know what tyres are fitted to the 2020 SV650A but I don't usually change tyres until they are worn out, or damaged, and then go for Bridgestone Battlax ,whatever the latest model is, and they have always seemed ok.

DJ123 26-12-20 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ123 (Post 3119354)
Similar life to what i get from my Pilot Power 2 CT's. Will try these once i've finished this set off.

The time has come and i've now ordered a set of these. This will be my first set of the Michelin Road series tyres, and these look to be good based on reviews i've seen. A chunk more than what i have been paying, but i know they're a better newer tyre.

Adam Ef 26-12-20 07:26 PM

They are very good. I've got them on two bikes.
They're definitely more supple than most other tyres. I've had them loose next to Metzelers and Avons and you can manipulate the carcass with your hands much easier on them than the others.

svenrico 26-12-20 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Ef (Post 3123788)
They're definitely more supple than most other tyres. I've had them loose next to Metzelers and Avons and you can manipulate the carcass with your hands much easier on them than the others.

How does that translate into the ride , is it softer or what ?

DJ123 26-12-20 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Ef (Post 3123788)

thats what i was hoping they're like. i don't like a hard carcass as it unsettles the bike on bumpy ground, and removes ride comfort too. I found this with the Pilot Power 3.

Adam Ef 27-12-20 12:17 AM

I've found it gives me more control coming out of corners and getting on the throttle, probably as the tyre is spreading a bit more under load and giving slightly more grip. They feel like you can add grip by stressing them a bit, either accelerating or braking. They also soak up more of the road imperfections that would otherwise mess with control. A bit like an added extra to the suspension, but not in a way that feels anything like suspension. Not squidgy or wallowy.

svenrico 27-12-20 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Ef (Post 3123791)
I've found it gives me more control coming out of corners and getting on the throttle, probably as the tyre is spreading a bit more under load and giving slightly more grip. They feel like you can add grip by stressing them a bit, either accelerating or braking. They also soak up more of the road imperfections that would otherwise mess with control. A bit like an added extra to the suspension, but not in a way that feels anything like suspension. Not squidgy or wallowy.

Sounds good.

DJ123 27-12-20 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Ef (Post 3123791)

I've used Pilot Power 2CT's the last 8 years or so for that very reason. The carcass and ride-ability of the tyre is/was unrivalled on any other tyre i tried. It looks as though they have now managed to blend the Power range with the Road range and give a perks of each.
I never used the Road range before as i never heard they were that good in the dry if/when you were pushing on.

embee 25-01-21 12:30 AM

I have the Road5 on 3 bikes now. Two things really struck me when I first started using them. First they are very supple and absorb road roughness or grainy surfaces much better compared to other tyres (PR4 etc), and second somehow they've made the front steer much more easily at very low speed (walking speed) which make trickling along in traffic extremely easy.
So far the wear patterns have been pretty even, definitely a very nice tyre to ride.
They are easy to fit (soft carcass) and grip better than I could ever use, wet or dry.

Calix Lee 01-02-21 03:58 AM

I haven't tried to run it on my bike before but upon checking Google it has great reviews.

DJ123 05-03-21 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ123 (Post 3123801)
I've used Pilot Power 2CT's the last 8 years or so for that very reason. The carcass and ride-ability of the tyre is/was unrivalled on any other tyre i tried. It looks as though they have now managed to blend the Power range with the Road range and give a perks of each.
I never used the Road range before as i never heard they were that good in the dry if/when you were pushing on.

I did end up getting a pair of these fitted just after Christmas, but obv due to the weather and lockdown not used them much.

So far they've been good and i'm happy with the decision i've made. Will see how they go when we are finally allowed to go out and play. At this rate they'll last me through my upcoming June trip!

daktulos 06-03-21 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ123 (Post 3125886)
I did end up getting a pair of these fitted just after Christmas, but obv due to the weather and lockdown not used them much.

So far they've been good and i'm happy with the decision i've made. Will see how they go when we are finally allowed to go out and play. At this rate they'll last me through my upcoming June trip!

I was going to get some in time for winter, but the lockdown made that irrelevant, so need yet.

I've heard so much good about them, but I really don't like the aesthetics of the tread pattern, is it just me?

DJ123 06-03-21 06:37 PM

The tread pattern does look peculiar as it looks like a cross of a road tyre & a trail one as it has large drainage gaps.
I would say it looks better in person though as you can see the outlined shape/details better of the drainage gaps.

DarrenSV650S 01-07-21 07:50 PM

Only got 4k miles from my rear this time. Most of the tyre still looked fine but the very centre was right on the wear limit.
Possibly due to having a bigger rear sprocket fitted now. Not sure.

Got a new one fitted now. The bike is at 21,500 miles.

Bibio 02-07-21 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S (Post 3130084)
Only got 4k miles from my rear this time. Most of the tyre still looked fine but the very centre was right on the wear limit.
Possibly due to having a bigger rear sprocket fitted now. Not sure.

Got a new one fitted now. The bike is at 21,500 miles.

shock needing a service?