SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Putting standard can back on (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=235204)

glang 11-01-20 11:38 AM

Putting standard can back on

Im putting the standard can back on my SV650 and wondered how people have successfully joined and sealed the two pipes (theres a 1cm gap between the two)? Ive bought an 80mm link pipe but its really too long and very beefy so probably intended for a car exhaust. Anyway I have my doubts it will seal completely without exhaust paste which I dont really want to use as I will need to put the race can back on from time to time....

glang 11-01-20 05:43 PM

Re: Putting standard can back on

alright Ive found Fuel exhausts do a 'reconnection sleeve'. Bit expensive for what it is but should do the job....

R1ffR4ff 12-01-20 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glang (Post 3111350)
alright Ive found Fuel exhausts do a 'reconnection sleeve'. Bit expensive for what it is but should do the job....

You might want to try some of this as well. It's the Dog's Danglies for making a Gas-Tight seal(See the reviews)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRANVILLE...UAAOSwzFBbR2cJ

Note: Goes off real quick on warm days and as soon as you start the bike and the Exhaust heat gets to it.

HTH :)

PS
I had to fit a new bit of pipe to and old bit to a Water tap and the olive on one of the compression joints left a slight weep/leak. I used a bit of Granville on it and heated it up with a Hairdryer to go off quick and it worked a treat :D

glang 12-01-20 02:18 PM

Thanks but I imagine that stuff goes off like concrete and as Im going to be swopping cans regularly hope to get away without any paste....

R1ffR4ff 12-01-20 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glang (Post 3111373)
Thanks but I imagine that stuff goes off like concrete and as Im going to be swopping cans regularly hope to get away without any paste....

I understand and yes it is a pretty strong bond but at that price it can also be used for other things as posted like instead of Polyfilla for small holes etc :)

aesmith 13-01-20 09:17 AM

I sealed mine with a little smear of high temperature silicone. I suspect it's not high temperature enough, but even if that's the case the burned remnants are clearly enough to seal the joints. I used the Fuel joiner.

Dave20046 13-01-20 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aesmith (Post 3111409)
I sealed mine with a little smear of high temperature silicone. I suspect it's not high temperature enough, but even if that's the case the burned remnants are clearly enough to seal the joints. I used the Fuel joiner.

I imagine this would do it, though 1cm is quite thick. People used to use it for two-stroke engine gaskets.
I've also heard of people packing exhaust spaces with kitchen foil.

If it blows it out at least silicone can be scraped off and you can try something else.

Dave20046 13-01-20 09:46 PM

Also, I'm curious as to what your need is to be swapping between the two exhausts. I wouldn't normally question this as everyone likes different things but you say you will be swapping between the two. If it's about MOTs I would find a different MOT tester, if it's about noise on the road you could fit a DB killer and remove it when going on the track.

glang 14-01-20 01:23 PM

Its abroad and here you have to have an official 'E' stamped can (BS isnt valid) everytime you MOT and even then to guarantee no problems the original is best....

Dave20046 15-01-20 10:24 AM

That makes sense. goodluck