SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   B*ll*cks (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=231996)

Craig380 17-02-19 09:37 AM

B*ll*cks

Wrote off my lovely K6S yesterday morning: was heading to Wales and was coming up to the A534 / A49 junction to go past Beeston. Roads had damp patches from the overnight mist but were drying quickly. Throttled off, squeezed the brake lever gently on the approach to the kink into the junction and then suddenly I'm belly-surfing towards the traffic island with the bike skating in front of me. No warning, no twitch or shimmy, she just slammed straight down on her left side at probably 35-ish. No-one else involved.

While waiting for the recovery truck I inspected the road, and found a small diesel spill, maybe 3 feet long and less than a foot wide, in a damp patch just before the first scrape marks from my bike.

My gear did its job: armoured jeans were ripped through to the Kevlar but that didn't tear; jacket worn through to the elbow armour; glove heavily abraded but no holes; helmet chin bar scraped and bumped. Damage to me is a broken left pinkie finger and chafed knees.

Unfortunately the bike is toast because it hit the kerb, stoving the tank in and taking a bite out of the frame. All plastics on the left are scraped and broken too.

So I'll be on the lookout for another bike once I've got the insurance sorted.

I'd like to thank Luke, who stopped and gave me an antiseptic wipe and plaster for my knee, and Steve who also stopped and kindly gave me a bottle of water while I was waiting for the truck. Carole Nash's recovery was really good too.

Lessons? Be wary of diesel spills, and wear a full-face helmet: my chin and face would NOT have been happy if I was wearing an open-face job.

R1ffR4ff 17-02-19 10:07 AM

Re: B*ll*cks

B*ll*cks indeed and feel for you :(

Hit a similar patch some years ago on a roundabout on an old Honda CX500.Light rain had just stopped and it was like skating on ice.Bike just left me,no warning.Luckily I always had engine bars on those bikes because of the engine configuration so they saved my leg and the engine as the bike could not trap my leg against the road.

littleoldman2 17-02-19 11:00 AM

Shame. Feel for you.

embee 17-02-19 11:10 AM

Ouch! Sorry to hear your tale, at least you're reasonably OK.

Bibio 17-02-19 11:24 AM

borlocks indeed. as long as your ok then thats all that matters. bikes can be fixed.

Talking Heads 17-02-19 12:42 PM

This is precisely why I will not buy (or even ride) a bike without ABS.

garynortheast 17-02-19 01:36 PM

That's really crap Craig, sorry to hear this. At least you are fairly intact and the bike is replaceable. May be worth a trip to your GP to get checked over though.

maviczap 17-02-19 02:11 PM

Rollocks indeed, glad you're ok, pity about the bike. Nowt you could do about it

Gws

Sir Trev 17-02-19 04:44 PM

OH dear indeed. Sorry to hear that and I hope your bruises heal soon.

shiftin_gear98 17-02-19 06:48 PM

Mend well.