SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Track Days (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Tyres - more trackday orientated (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=88436)

lukemillar 30-04-07 10:47 AM

Tyres - more trackday orientated

Hi,

I think after my next trackday, my tyres are going to need changing, but I was wondering on what to go for. I use my R6 pretty much for track and dry weekend riding and was thinking about getting some Pirelli Supercorsas. While I think they would be a great dry track tyre, I'm wondering if I get a wet day, whether they would be as good as useless?? (though I notice they come as stock fitment on Daytona 675s' so can't be to bad, right?)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Luke

Balky001 30-04-07 06:01 PM

Re: Tyres - more trackday orientated

Supercorsa's in the wet are not a good idea. Have you thought about getting some middle of the road tyres (diablo etc) on another set of wheels (for road and wet track use) and keeping Supercorsa Pros on your wheels just for dry track as you seem to do enough track days to warrant the expenditure. You can often pick up second hand wheels for fairly reasonable money.

lukemillar 30-04-07 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balky001 (Post 1175399)
Supercorsa's in the wet are not a good idea. Have you thought about getting some middle of the road tyres (diablo etc) on another set of wheels (for road and wet track use) and keeping Supercorsa Pros on your wheels just for dry track as you seem to do enough track days to warrant the expenditure. You can often pick up second hand wheels for fairly reasonable money.

That would be nice! Unfortunately 06 R6 spare wheels are a bit of a premium, given number of R6's raced (R6 cup etc) everyone wants them!. Front/Rear spares go for ~400-500 pounds a set on ebay! It would be nice, but then again I don't know if I want to spend that + 2 sets of tyres - would be up to around the 1000 mark! :shock:

weazelz 30-04-07 06:12 PM

you have dunlop sportmax qualifiers on there currently, iirc. as far as I can tell, they're pretty much the dunlop equivalent of the supercorsa, definitely the trackiest ones they make, except slicks obviously. I think the r6 cup used them as control tyre last year. r6 cup is using corsa III's this year incidentally

supercorsa's do seem to be the de-facto track tyre that you see on trackdays, with the possible exception of roadtec's. so long as you get the road compound supercorsa - which is what you see on the 675 - the wet performance shouldn't be too bad, although obviously it's never going to be great with a sticky (when warm) compound & minimal tread. I can't imagine that any of the SC variants would be any good in the wet, but then that's not what they're designed for

not quite sure why I'm singing their praises when they spat me off on saturday ;-) I suspect that wasn't they tyres' fault though :-(

lukemillar 30-04-07 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weazelz (Post 1175418)
.... so long as you get the road compound supercorsa - which is what you see on the 675 - the wet performance shouldn't be too bad.....

Yep that was what I was looking at!