SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Worn floating disk buttons (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=178245)

garynortheast 08-05-12 06:56 AM

Re: Worn floating disk buttons

Just wondering if it's possible to get the bits to do something like this - http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=573

AndyBrad 08-05-12 07:38 AM

I've got a brand new set of triumph oem disks here that ill swap for a new roulette green speed four belly pan :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Sid Squid 08-05-12 06:05 PM

Try wiggling the disc when it's properly, properly hot - not with your hand obviously.

Some discs are quite loose when cold and tighten up when hot, some do it the other way round.

Lozzo 08-05-12 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Ralph- (Post 2707095)
Is discs coming off the buttons under braking something that anyone has heard of happening before?

I didn't lose the discs, but I had two buttons ping off the fully floating AP Racing narrow track cast iron discs that were fitted to my GSXR1000, one from each side. The discs were exhibiting the same symptoms yours are, juddering when coming to a stop and generally quite clanky when moving the bike about. Replacement bobbins were available, but rather than muck about trying to repair a problem I knew would reoccur I swapped the discs for a set of PFM ductile iron ones that were much better made.

yorkie_chris 09-05-12 07:59 AM

On some clanky ones I've got it appears to be the carrier which is distorted rather than the buttons worn.

-Ralph- 09-05-12 08:38 AM

No clanky problems, they are not that loose (maybe 0.5 - 1mm of play at most). Under very hard braking they will give a vibration, but the problem is not what I'd describe as judder, it's a slow 'nodding dog' surging on and off effect which makes it impossible to get the bike from 15mph down to a stop, smoothly, under the front brake, have to switch to using the back brake only. You only feel it below about 15mph.

If it were a solid disc on my XT600, I'd say the disk were warped if I had that kind of sensation under braking, but on floating discs with less than 6000 miles of use, there wasn't a problem when I bought the bike (3600 miles), and I'm not a rider that hammers on the brakes then tips into a corner, or leaves braking for junctions to the last minute, I just find it hard to believe the disc is warped. I doubt I ever even get them that hot.

Bibio 09-05-12 03:02 PM

i completely burgerd a brand new gsxr 1000 k1 disc on the last bike within 100 miles because of a dragging front calliper.

give it a go with brake cleaner and compressed air to see if there is any crud in the rivets but if it doesn't rectify it then new discs time. but the nodding dog sounds like there is a warp. get the front up on a stand and spin the front wheel to see if there are any high spots on the discs.

don't **** around with brakes Colin as you might just regret it.

AndyBrad 09-05-12 03:24 PM

I had the same using nissin pads. Too grippy. Also triumph disks are k.own for it.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Richie 09-05-12 03:58 PM

My Aprilia disc (tuono forks and discs) are loose when cold too :0) haven't tried wiggling them when they're hot... Will do next time.
Cheers for this Thread Ralph, and cheers Mr Squid for the info :0)

sno335 27-02-20 05:59 PM

Hi new to the forum but just some info about replacement disc buttons.Mine were badly corroded on my 2004 650.I sourced my nice aircraft aluminium ones from a company in Germany.www.performance parts.de
About €30 per disc(6) 4.5mm thickness
You need to carefully grind off the turned over bit of the old river.The new ones push in and secure with a C clip.
Apologies if this is common knowledge