SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Tyres (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Michelin Road 5 (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=229595)

Adam Ef 27-12-20 12:17 AM

Re: Michelin Road 5
 
I've found it gives me more control coming out of corners and getting on the throttle, probably as the tyre is spreading a bit more under load and giving slightly more grip. They feel like you can add grip by stressing them a bit, either accelerating or braking. They also soak up more of the road imperfections that would otherwise mess with control. A bit like an added extra to the suspension, but not in a way that feels anything like suspension. Not squidgy or wallowy.

svenrico 27-12-20 12:30 AM

Re: Michelin Road 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Ef (Post 3123791)
I've found it gives me more control coming out of corners and getting on the throttle, probably as the tyre is spreading a bit more under load and giving slightly more grip. They feel like you can add grip by stressing them a bit, either accelerating or braking. They also soak up more of the road imperfections that would otherwise mess with control. A bit like an added extra to the suspension, but not in a way that feels anything like suspension. Not squidgy or wallowy.

Sounds good.

DJ123 27-12-20 12:48 PM

Re: Michelin Road 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Ef (Post 3123791)
I've found it gives me more control coming out of corners and getting on the throttle, probably as the tyre is spreading a bit more under load and giving slightly more grip. They feel like you can add grip by stressing them a bit, either accelerating or braking. They also soak up more of the road imperfections that would otherwise mess with control. A bit like an added extra to the suspension, but not in a way that feels anything like suspension. Not squidgy or wallowy.

I've used Pilot Power 2CT's the last 8 years or so for that very reason. The carcass and ride-ability of the tyre is/was unrivalled on any other tyre i tried. It looks as though they have now managed to blend the Power range with the Road range and give a perks of each.
I never used the Road range before as i never heard they were that good in the dry if/when you were pushing on.

embee 25-01-21 12:30 AM

Re: Michelin Road 5
 
I have the Road5 on 3 bikes now. Two things really struck me when I first started using them. First they are very supple and absorb road roughness or grainy surfaces much better compared to other tyres (PR4 etc), and second somehow they've made the front steer much more easily at very low speed (walking speed) which make trickling along in traffic extremely easy.
So far the wear patterns have been pretty even, definitely a very nice tyre to ride.
They are easy to fit (soft carcass) and grip better than I could ever use, wet or dry.

Calix Lee 01-02-21 03:58 AM

Re: Michelin Road 5
 
I haven't tried to run it on my bike before but upon checking Google it has great reviews.

DJ123 05-03-21 12:25 PM

Re: Michelin Road 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ123 (Post 3123801)
I've used Pilot Power 2CT's the last 8 years or so for that very reason. The carcass and ride-ability of the tyre is/was unrivalled on any other tyre i tried. It looks as though they have now managed to blend the Power range with the Road range and give a perks of each.
I never used the Road range before as i never heard they were that good in the dry if/when you were pushing on.

I did end up getting a pair of these fitted just after Christmas, but obv due to the weather and lockdown not used them much.

So far they've been good and i'm happy with the decision i've made. Will see how they go when we are finally allowed to go out and play. At this rate they'll last me through my upcoming June trip!

daktulos 06-03-21 01:53 PM

Re: Michelin Road 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ123 (Post 3125886)
I did end up getting a pair of these fitted just after Christmas, but obv due to the weather and lockdown not used them much.

So far they've been good and i'm happy with the decision i've made. Will see how they go when we are finally allowed to go out and play. At this rate they'll last me through my upcoming June trip!

I was going to get some in time for winter, but the lockdown made that irrelevant, so need yet.

I've heard so much good about them, but I really don't like the aesthetics of the tread pattern, is it just me?

DJ123 06-03-21 06:37 PM

Re: Michelin Road 5
 
The tread pattern does look peculiar as it looks like a cross of a road tyre & a trail one as it has large drainage gaps.
I would say it looks better in person though as you can see the outlined shape/details better of the drainage gaps.

DarrenSV650S 01-07-21 07:50 PM

Re: Michelin Road 5
 
Only got 4k miles from my rear this time. Most of the tyre still looked fine but the very centre was right on the wear limit.
Possibly due to having a bigger rear sprocket fitted now. Not sure.

Got a new one fitted now. The bike is at 21,500 miles.

Bibio 02-07-21 03:25 PM

Re: Michelin Road 5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S (Post 3130084)
Only got 4k miles from my rear this time. Most of the tyre still looked fine but the very centre was right on the wear limit.
Possibly due to having a bigger rear sprocket fitted now. Not sure.

Got a new one fitted now. The bike is at 21,500 miles.

shock needing a service?


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.