SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Gearbox (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=68528)

Daglad 28-03-06 09:11 PM

Gearbox

Hi all, i am after a little help if you can. I am experiencing problems putting the bike into neutral from 1st gear. It will drop straight in from 2nd and also if l kill the engine it will go straight in. Am l looking at cable adjustment or does it need plates, and again if so do l need friction and steels.

Thanks

Unlucky4some 28-03-06 09:34 PM

hiya

My bike also does this, i think its just a "characteristic" :D of the SV But I'm sure someone will be along shortly to say yay or err nah, but i don't really think of it as a problem if it's easier to go from 2nd to neutral than 1st to neutral use second, .. it's definitely not a problem with your cable, and i very much doubt a clutch problem as you can disengage / engage it to ride if you see what i mean,
on the other hand i could be talking cr@p and soon to find out i have a problem with my clutch :lol:
ride safe

Sid Squid 28-03-06 10:08 PM

Before condemning the clutch, make sure it's correctly adjusted.

Do a search, much has been posted, by many including myself, the answers are out there.

Unlucky4some 28-03-06 11:37 PM

ahh ok maybe it's not "Normal" adjusting the cable is worth a try.
thanks

/Me starts eating his own words :o

jambo 29-03-06 10:00 AM

With any gearbox trickyness check chain condition, chain adjustment, clean and oil chain and check clutch adjustment as well, as pointed out by Mr Squid, a lot has been posted on any of the above subjects.

fizzwheel 29-03-06 10:06 AM

also check your oil level

Mark_h 29-03-06 07:54 PM

Mine was doing this the other day and then had trouble getting any gears at all. Problem was the top clutch adjuster had come loose, but the cable outer had wedged on a bit of the adjuster bolt. sometimes the outer was held away from the lever and you got good clutch action, other times it flopped into the adjuster and could not get any gears, especially neutral. Dead easy fix by re-adjusting and this time doing the lock nut up good and tight. However, this may be somethng completely different. Other symptom was clutch lever felt a bit sloppy, but as I tended to have it a bit slack anyway was not as noticable as it would be if you have a tighter lever.

splund 29-03-06 09:03 PM

I found my gear changing getting stickier and stickier and then started to find it difficult to go from 2nd to 1st when pulling up and then even harder getting into first from neutral. A brief tightening of the clutch leaver solved the broblem. You can tell if this needs doing because there will be some slack in your lever before you feel the wieght of the clutch. Just tighten the adjuster until you get the slack just about out.

Anyway i found a realy interesting link about gearboxes that you might like to read. Enjoy. 8)

http://www.vf750fd.com/blurbs/shifting.html

Blue_SV650S 29-03-06 09:18 PM

Often clutch ‘sticking’ is down to a worn basket. The basket can get groves in it and the plates stick in the groves. Basket replacement is obviously the best cure, but I have had good results simply using a file to remove groves.

Anyway, something to think about/check. :)

The Basket 29-03-06 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
Often clutch ‘sticking’ is down to a worn basket. The basket can get groves in it and the plates stick in the groves. Basket replacement is obviously the best cure, but I have had good results simply using a file to remove groves.

Anyway, something to think about/check. :)

Basket replacement :? Anyhoo, I dropped my SV on it's left side...and bent the gear shift pedal and the little bar that goes across...I dunno if this will affect the way the gear shift works...If the bar is bent, maybe not pushing the rest of the mechanism and slotting the gears in? Dunno.