SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Any qualified scuba divers out there? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=170510)

SUPERSTARDJ01 05-09-11 01:50 PM

Re: Any qualified scuba divers out there?

I would love to wreck/cave dive but will probably need a dry suit at some point.

yorkie_chris 05-09-11 02:08 PM

I'd be up for it, I'm looking for someone local who doesn't mind getting cold and bored doing some skills/navigation etc in some reservoir or something reasonably locally to get me some practice in before I go for any further badge collecting. Preferably without paying £10+ to get into various quarries!

There are some good used deals on drysuits, <£100, then worst case if you need zip and all seals then about £150 to get it fixed or about £75 for zip, tenner for seals if you can have a go yourself.

You got rest of kit?

rictus01 05-09-11 02:59 PM

I'm not sure if it's changed, but the standard open water PADI certification didn't include drysuit diving, as this requires additional training and was a separate course, it could all be combined now, but knowing PADI and their fondness for making money out of you I think probably not.

fenjer 05-09-11 03:02 PM

You and YC should speak to the boatman, he runs plenty dive trips and he'd prob be able to help kit you both out with dry suits etc.

link to his website: http://www.fynepioneer.co.uk/ forgot this one: http://www.hydrapro.co.uk/

rictus01 05-09-11 03:04 PM

Oh and Chris, whilst I applaud you frugalness, Diving isn't one of those activities you want to "have a go yourself" with kit wise, even dry suits are live saving kit both thermally as well as buoyancy wise, you mess around with that kind of thing at your own (and maybe buddies) peril.

Cheers Mark.

SUPERSTARDJ01 05-09-11 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie_chris (Post 2598620)
I'd be up for it, I'm looking for someone local who doesn't mind getting cold and bored doing some skills/navigation etc in some reservoir or something reasonably locally to get me some practice in before I go for any further badge collecting. Preferably without paying £10+ to get into various quarries!

There are some good used deals on drysuits, <£100, then worst case if you need zip and all seals then about £150 to get it fixed or about £75 for zip, tenner for seals if you can have a go yourself.

You got rest of kit?

At the mo i'm just obtaining kit and do plan to do drysuit and deep water qualifications before this time next year, I have a mask and snorkle, fins getting a secondhand semi dry for now, dive computer Suunto Vyper for crimbo, and possibly a BCD dont think i'll bother with a tank.

I maybe in Leeds later this year if you fancy a dive at the blue lagoon in Ponte.

yorkie_chris 05-09-11 05:32 PM

Yeah sounds good, I'll have a spare 9l 207bar once I get the new 12l tested.

I did first bit of OW at Blue Lagoon on Saturday, the name is a rather ironic one :-P

Quote:

Originally Posted by rictus01 (Post 2598650)
I'm not sure if it's changed, but the standard open water PADI certification didn't include drysuit diving, as this requires additional training and was a separate course, it could all be combined now, but knowing PADI and their fondness for making money out of you I think probably not.

We're being taught drysuit use on the open water bit, they've kindly offered to "stamp the card" for a bargain £85. The drysuit speciality isn't included as part of OW, though we are actually doing it in it. TBH it seems to be throwing good money after bad paying a ticket for the privilege of renting kit!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rictus01 (Post 2598653)
Oh and Chris, whilst I applaud you frugalness, Diving isn't one of those activities you want to "have a go yourself" with kit wise, even dry suits are live saving kit both thermally as well as buoyancy wise, you mess around with that kind of thing at your own (and maybe buddies) peril.

Cheers Mark.

I can see your point though I disagree, lots of people would change a seal or what have you mid-trip themselves. Would you fly home from Egypt etc. to have your friendly local dive shop mend a sundry item for you?

I'd rather learn how to do these things myself and have a mate who's been doing this stuff for years check the job over afterwards. Same with the bikes, I'd rather know myself than blindly trust "the main dealer" to do it right when my life depends on it. Saving a few quid is a completely secondary objective.

metalmonkey 05-09-11 05:55 PM

I'm an advanced diver, thought I haven't dived for a long time. It will be dam cold in October I would have thought, the average water temperature is down due to the poor summer.

anna 05-09-11 06:28 PM

:smt006 Advanced and PADI enriched air diver. I got mine over in Sharm many years ago, sadly haven“t been able to use it much.

Although I am guessing a trip over here isn“t in your plans, and UK water is far too cold for my liking!!!

rictus01 05-09-11 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie_chris (Post 2598737)

I can see your point though I disagree, lots of people would change a seal or what have you mid-trip themselves. Would you fly home from Egypt etc. to have your friendly local dive shop mend a sundry item for you?

I'd rather learn how to do these things myself and have a mate who's been doing this stuff for years check the job over afterwards. Same with the bikes, I'd rather know myself than blindly trust "the main dealer" to do it right when my life depends on it. Saving a few quid is a completely secondary objective.

If that's what you had originally said, then I would have disagreed, but seen your point, you didn't though.

but in answer to first question at your level yes I probably would have taken it to a dive shop where I was, obviously made sure they were certified and got them to do it, but then I suppose it much depends on what sort of diving you're doing, you can always just straighten your knees....;)

Cheers Mark.