SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Any qualified scuba divers out there? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=170510)

SUPERSTARDJ01 05-09-11 08:23 AM

Any qualified scuba divers out there?

Hi all,

I qualify as an open water diver in October and was wondering if anyone else on here is as well, and would maybe like a buddy? http://www.mcnninjas.co.uk/forum/Smi...c/ROTFLMAO.gif

timwilky 05-09-11 08:41 AM

Re: Any qualified scuba divers out there?

My nephew is an "Advanced diver" and rescue diver whatever that is. I know it means he knocks on my door with big crustaceans for the pot. yum yum, enjoy the foraging.

maviczap 05-09-11 08:43 AM

Keith_D does a bit I think

fenjer 05-09-11 09:15 AM

Theboatman is also qualified in all sorts of diving stuff, trimix and advanced open water diving.

*knows nothing about diving* :P

yorkie_chris 05-09-11 09:16 AM

I will have my PADI open water as of Saturday hopefully. Although how that relates to qualified and/or competent I'm not convinced :smt082

rictus01 05-09-11 09:22 AM

mixed gases, surface demand, re-breather certified as well as Padi dive master, so yeah done a bit.

Cheers Mark.

Viney 05-09-11 09:28 AM

I started my BSAC many many many years ago. My Dad was a Class1 instrutor. I could never get used to being able to breathe underwater so gave up.

diamond 05-09-11 11:36 AM

I'm a PADI open water diver, infact only just come back from Gozo where there is some great diving. Dived an awesome wreck of a german patrol boat whilst i was away.

SUPERSTARDJ01 05-09-11 01:19 PM

So anyone up for a UK dive later on the year?

rictus01 05-09-11 01:27 PM

fraid not in my case, apart from the knee thing; I mainly done wreak and cave diving around these shores that ment dry suit stuff, heavy old kit to lug about, all a bit energetic and demanding, bit to old for that kind of thing now.

Cheers Mark.

SUPERSTARDJ01 05-09-11 01:50 PM

I would love to wreck/cave dive but will probably need a dry suit at some point.

yorkie_chris 05-09-11 02:08 PM

I'd be up for it, I'm looking for someone local who doesn't mind getting cold and bored doing some skills/navigation etc in some reservoir or something reasonably locally to get me some practice in before I go for any further badge collecting. Preferably without paying Ģ10+ to get into various quarries!

There are some good used deals on drysuits, <Ģ100, then worst case if you need zip and all seals then about Ģ150 to get it fixed or about Ģ75 for zip, tenner for seals if you can have a go yourself.

You got rest of kit?

rictus01 05-09-11 02:59 PM

I'm not sure if it's changed, but the standard open water PADI certification didn't include drysuit diving, as this requires additional training and was a separate course, it could all be combined now, but knowing PADI and their fondness for making money out of you I think probably not.

fenjer 05-09-11 03:02 PM

You and YC should speak to the boatman, he runs plenty dive trips and he'd prob be able to help kit you both out with dry suits etc.

link to his website: http://www.fynepioneer.co.uk/ forgot this one: http://www.hydrapro.co.uk/

rictus01 05-09-11 03:04 PM

Oh and Chris, whilst I applaud you frugalness, Diving isn't one of those activities you want to "have a go yourself" with kit wise, even dry suits are live saving kit both thermally as well as buoyancy wise, you mess around with that kind of thing at your own (and maybe buddies) peril.

Cheers Mark.

SUPERSTARDJ01 05-09-11 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie_chris (Post 2598620)
I'd be up for it, I'm looking for someone local who doesn't mind getting cold and bored doing some skills/navigation etc in some reservoir or something reasonably locally to get me some practice in before I go for any further badge collecting. Preferably without paying Ģ10+ to get into various quarries!

There are some good used deals on drysuits, <Ģ100, then worst case if you need zip and all seals then about Ģ150 to get it fixed or about Ģ75 for zip, tenner for seals if you can have a go yourself.

You got rest of kit?

At the mo i'm just obtaining kit and do plan to do drysuit and deep water qualifications before this time next year, I have a mask and snorkle, fins getting a secondhand semi dry for now, dive computer Suunto Vyper for crimbo, and possibly a BCD dont think i'll bother with a tank.

I maybe in Leeds later this year if you fancy a dive at the blue lagoon in Ponte.

yorkie_chris 05-09-11 05:32 PM

Yeah sounds good, I'll have a spare 9l 207bar once I get the new 12l tested.

I did first bit of OW at Blue Lagoon on Saturday, the name is a rather ironic one :-P

Quote:

Originally Posted by rictus01 (Post 2598650)
I'm not sure if it's changed, but the standard open water PADI certification didn't include drysuit diving, as this requires additional training and was a separate course, it could all be combined now, but knowing PADI and their fondness for making money out of you I think probably not.

We're being taught drysuit use on the open water bit, they've kindly offered to "stamp the card" for a bargain Ģ85. The drysuit speciality isn't included as part of OW, though we are actually doing it in it. TBH it seems to be throwing good money after bad paying a ticket for the privilege of renting kit!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rictus01 (Post 2598653)
Oh and Chris, whilst I applaud you frugalness, Diving isn't one of those activities you want to "have a go yourself" with kit wise, even dry suits are live saving kit both thermally as well as buoyancy wise, you mess around with that kind of thing at your own (and maybe buddies) peril.

Cheers Mark.

I can see your point though I disagree, lots of people would change a seal or what have you mid-trip themselves. Would you fly home from Egypt etc. to have your friendly local dive shop mend a sundry item for you?

I'd rather learn how to do these things myself and have a mate who's been doing this stuff for years check the job over afterwards. Same with the bikes, I'd rather know myself than blindly trust "the main dealer" to do it right when my life depends on it. Saving a few quid is a completely secondary objective.

metalmonkey 05-09-11 05:55 PM

I'm an advanced diver, thought I haven't dived for a long time. It will be dam cold in October I would have thought, the average water temperature is down due to the poor summer.

anna 05-09-11 06:28 PM

:smt006 Advanced and PADI enriched air diver. I got mine over in Sharm many years ago, sadly havenīt been able to use it much.

Although I am guessing a trip over here isnīt in your plans, and UK water is far too cold for my liking!!!

rictus01 05-09-11 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie_chris (Post 2598737)

I can see your point though I disagree, lots of people would change a seal or what have you mid-trip themselves. Would you fly home from Egypt etc. to have your friendly local dive shop mend a sundry item for you?

I'd rather learn how to do these things myself and have a mate who's been doing this stuff for years check the job over afterwards. Same with the bikes, I'd rather know myself than blindly trust "the main dealer" to do it right when my life depends on it. Saving a few quid is a completely secondary objective.

If that's what you had originally said, then I would have disagreed, but seen your point, you didn't though.

but in answer to first question at your level yes I probably would have taken it to a dive shop where I was, obviously made sure they were certified and got them to do it, but then I suppose it much depends on what sort of diving you're doing, you can always just straighten your knees....;)

Cheers Mark.

Bluefish 05-09-11 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anna (Post 2598779)
:smt006 Advanced and PADI enriched air diver. I got mine over in Sharm many years ago, sadly havenīt been able to use it much.

Although I am guessing a trip over here isnīt in your plans, and UK water is far too cold for my liking!!!

Same as me, sold my kit apart from my regs, i think, too cold and crap viz over here :(

theboatman 05-09-11 07:46 PM

Ello,
Quite appropriate, but I am just back from a long weekend taking divers out... Not sure if people are interested, but I could organise a weekend with some diving up in Loch Fyne, I could organise try dives for those that want to try and they take some of you out on the boat to do some great diving, I've been talking to YC about this anyway. Those that don't dive/want to can go and play on the bikes round Glencoe (just up the road) or rest and be thankful... I'm a BSAC and IANTD instructor, so if any of you need/want advice, either drop me a PM or give me a ring and I will see what I can do to help.

AndyBrad 05-09-11 08:23 PM

qualified but never use it.

YC try the halifax dive club, wednesday nights about 8pm at halifax pool. Somone there will be glad to get you wet!

yorkie_chris 09-09-11 11:50 AM

No chance of getting out in the sea this weekend but will hopefully get the last 2 qualifying dives done next weekend :D

Then just how to figure out how to get 2 kit bags and a 12l 232bar air cylinder to attach to the back of the XJ :smt077

keith_d 09-09-11 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie_chris (Post 2600307)
No chance of getting out in the sea this weekend but will hopefully get the last 2 qualifying dives done next weekend :D

Then just how to figure out how to get 2 kit bags and a 12l 232bar air cylinder to attach to the back of the XJ :smt077

Now you know why I drive a Mondeo Estate. Room for three divers and their kit.

Keith.

blue curvy jester 09-09-11 02:30 PM

aye qualified

but bugger diving in this country far too cold ( even though the reefs in west wales are supposed to be barrier reef rivals)

yorkie_chris 23-09-11 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie_chris (Post 2600307)

Orrr not.
Blown out again.

Got kit except for BCD and one of those pesky stamps on the cylinder, still looking on ebay :-P

Currently reading "Shadow Divers" by Rober Kurson, bloody excellent! (Love you Maria!!)

BernardBikerchick 23-09-11 03:04 PM

i would love to do tat !!! keith d does suba diving though !

Macpauley 23-09-11 03:11 PM

BSAC Advanced Diver & PADI Dive Master, but it's been a while since I got wet.

Dived California, Egypt, British Columbia, Med, Caribbean & a lot around UK in my time.

My dads a OWI & DO for the local club and keeps trying to get me back to Stoney........

yorkie_chris 23-09-11 04:24 PM

I'll be there on 8th/9th October doing my advanced OW.

Macpauley 23-09-11 06:41 PM

Chilly! Good luck though!

I practically grew up in stoney cove, gildenburg, and Fort Bovisand.......

-Ralph- 23-09-11 06:42 PM

Just a guess, but a new member just signed up....

http://forums.sv650.org/member.php?u=16245

Tim in Belgium 23-09-11 07:38 PM

I'm a warm weather diver only, advanced + nitrox, plus I've done some deep diving with multiple decompression stops, spare cylinders dangling from buoys etc!! Perhaps a little silly but I was young and immature.

Never done anything cold water. One day I fancy it, but too much to do, too little time!!

yorkie_chris 06-10-11 11:02 PM

Need more luggage rack space.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/73/dscf9672c.jpg

anna 06-10-11 11:44 PM

It looks like the bike has had a scuba lesson too ;)

AndyBrad 07-10-11 06:19 AM

Holy crap man I hope your not intending to ride it with that tank on there!!!!!!!!

missyburd 07-10-11 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyBrad (Post 2612588)
Holy crap man I hope your not intending to ride it with that tank on there!!!!!!!!

It's empty....but still, rather him than me!

yorkie_chris 07-10-11 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyBrad (Post 2612588)

Why the f*** else would I put it there? :smt082

I did it, I've done it before, I'm still alive. Must be perfectly safe. We used to have bikes with tins of gas on the back of them all the time... just that was a bit of a different gas and a sight more dangerous than air!

AndyBrad 07-10-11 10:01 AM

thing is if its got air in and you drop the bike your going to kill the small kid at the side of the road/in the car next to ya!

irresponcible imo :( sort it out chap, hire it or use a car.

Richie 07-10-11 11:18 AM

Qualified as PADI Rescue Diver over in Austrailia back in 1989-1990, but since I had my pneumothorax and developed Asthma I'm not allowwed to dive anymore :0( last time I dived was off the Coast of Brac, Croatia in 2003 when I went over there to help close down the Adventitious training centre and get rid of the 8 ISO containers.
The best place I dived was of the coast of Belize... :0)
Good times.