SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Buying Helmets Online (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=68840)

andy 03-04-06 06:48 PM

Buying Helmets Online

Opinions please.

I have just bought a helmet online and it is exactly what I wanted and fits perfectly.

I am thinking of returning it because I am slightly worried for 2 reasons.

1. There is a tiny 10mm scratch on it - implying it has been handled clumsily. I am not so bothered about this as there is no way the scratch itself is any indication of damage likely to be dangerous.

2. The helmet arrived at mine inside its own flimsy bag, indside its own flimsy box inside another perfectly fitting slightly less flimsy box - eg no foam or impact protection at all.

How do they normally post helmets? Should I be worried? There is no sign whatsoever of damage to the helmet (apart from the scratch - no way caused while the helmet was in the box), would there be?

Any opinions greatly received.

Thanks

PS - has anyone bought a helmet mail order? If so, how was it packaged?

kwak zzr 03-04-06 06:52 PM

i would accept a helmet that wasnt packed in foam but its the scratch i wouldnt be happy with, i bought a helmet from infinity motorcycles mail order but it was packed really well.

kwak zzr 03-04-06 06:53 PM

the first one i recived was too small so i sent it back for a replacement, it cost me £10 to post it back tho.

Steve W 03-04-06 07:17 PM

I bought one from Designer Helmets - not packed in foam but carefully packed clean as a (red) whistle...

GC-SV 03-04-06 07:19 PM

Always a problem when you go the mail order route.

I too would not be too happy about the scratch and would give them a call to see if they can replace it.
Postage is usually sorted by through the courier. That is what happened when I received a full race can instead of a road legal one. They told me to repack it and the courier would pick it up, then they sent me the replacement.

If you can accept the scratch you could always ask for a bit of discount.

jonboy 03-04-06 08:12 PM

I really wouldn't worry about it, it's highly unlikely it's been dropped from a great height, and tests by Bike magazine showed that only a three metre drop on to concrete made a helmet unsafe, so if it's been slightly manhandled I don't think it'd be great cause for concern.

As for the scratch, well that's one of the reasons I'd never buy anything like that mail order. The return postage would likely be more than it's worth I suggest.

Stick it on your head and go ride your bike ;).

Ceri JC 04-04-06 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonboy
I really wouldn't worry about it, it's highly inlikely it's been dropped from a great height, and tests by Bike magazine showed that only a three metre drop on to concrete made a helmet unsafe, so if it's been slightly manhandled I don't think it'd be great cause for concern.

As for the scratch, well that's one of the reasons I'd never buy anything like that mail order. The return postage would likely be more than it's worth I suggest.

Stick it on your head and go ride your bike ;).

^ My POV too.

andy 04-04-06 02:05 PM

I thought you may be interested in my correspondance with the importer.

***** My initial email *****

Dear Sales,

I have just purchased my 3rd xxxxx helmet, this time an xxxxx. I am equally as pleased with this one as my others.

However, because I know my size so well and because I wanted the Matt black one which is hard to get in this country I had to purchase it online and get it specially delivered from Europe via courier.

The helmet arrived not packaged to the standards I consider acceptable for such an important item and would appreciate your opinion on the matter before I decide whether or not to return it.

The packaging was as follows. The helmet was inside its xxxxx bag, inside its xxxxx box, inside another similar well fitting box. No foam or anything.

My concern is if the helmet had been subject to a drop during transit there would be below adequate protection and any damage may not be visible.

Also, the helmet has a thin 10mm long scratch on it which must have been done with the helmet out of its box – would you consider this kind of damage acceptable?

What do xxxxx advise their online suppliers with regard to packaging?

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

***** Their reply *****

Hi Andy

Thankyou for your email.

Our packaging recommendations are for each helmet to be place in 1 xxxxx helmet bag which is then placed in 1 xxxxx helmet box and then 1 outer box for transporting.

We have found this method over the years of sending 1000's of helmets has been sufficient.

One of the reasons for not sending Matt Black helmets in the UK is due to the helmet itself not having a coat of protective lacquer as the Gloss Black helmets do. The Matt Black has no protective coat like the Gloss and is therefore prone to marking easily, specially in transit.

Please check the outer box for damage to indicate any serious impact, as safety is everything.

If you would like a second opinion then feel free to email us an image.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Andrew Thompson

***** My response *****

Hi Andrew,

The outer box appears undamaged, however the inner box has obviously been dropped onto its corner as it is crumpled. The outer box only had my name on it so I assume it must have had a different outer box at some point during its journey.

I am not bothered by the small scratch from a safety point of view – not ideal cosmetically but as I cannot get another matt one easily I will have to live with it.

I understand about the lack of lacquer – thanks for explaining that to me.

My biggest concern is, if the box had been dropped during transit onto one of its flat faces, then due to the fact that there is very little padding, the helmet would take the majority of the impact, possibly resulting in a dangerous helmet with no way of telling (no scratches due to the box?) – I am very surprised that you consider this an acceptable way of transporting a helmet, when most items posted these days are largely overpacked and overprotected.

Can you guarantee that this helmet did not receive such an impact, or if it did, the protection it offers to my head in the event of an accident will not be compromised in any way?

Thanks

Andy

I await a reply. I cannot beleive that their only form of dangerous impact protection is to "check the box for signs of damage" - dont really sound thorough enough to me, especially as the box can be changed.....

I have removed the company name, I will name and shame if they do not do what I consider fair, so far the customer service has been excellent.

Ceri JC 04-04-06 02:56 PM

It's true what he says about matt black lids marking easily. A few stores I've spoken to have cited that as a reason for not stocking them. I've got a matt black caberg v2.

Spiderman 04-04-06 04:50 PM

I only ever got one helmet in the post and it was packaged just as you describe.

However mine was a freebie for subscribing to TWO magazine so i really wasnt bother about how a FREE lid was packaged.

TBH, i wouldnt worry too much about it and i sure as hell would not pay to return it for a 10mm scratch, unless the scratch was all the way to the base of the lid and therefor stood out a lot.

Just mho :)