SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   The Border Patrol (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Anyone get out over the weekend, then? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=229400)

Craig380 26-03-18 02:53 PM

Anyone get out over the weekend, then?

Fairly thick fog round my way Sunday morning but I was gagging for a ride, so I headed steadily west towards Holmes Chapel.

It was so thick that my glasses misted up :smt013 but as soon as I crossed the M6, the fog magically disappeared and I had the first proper ride of the year to the Horseshoe. The Ponderosa was already busy at 10am so plenty of other people had an early start too.

garynortheast 26-03-18 10:30 PM

Re: Anyone get out over the weekend, then?

Never had the chance to get out on Saturday, and was at a running event on Sunday. I might try and escape for a few hours this weekend though.

Craig380 31-03-18 10:14 AM

Saw yesterday they've put average speed cameras up on the stretch from the roundabout at the top of the Horseshoe down to Corwen, which is a bit strange.

garynortheast 31-03-18 04:53 PM

Not been that way for a while as the Ponderosa is not somewhere I visit all that often. I must be a bit of a heretic, as I don't really like the place all that much. I do remember coming down that road towards Corwen in the past though and seeing (and being overtaken by) a number of bikes travelling at pretty stupid speeds.

Craig380 31-03-18 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garynortheast (Post 3084000)
Not been that way for a while as the Ponderosa is not somewhere I visit all that often. I must be a bit of a heretic, as I don't really like the place all that much.

Me neither, but it's a handy halfway point for a Sunday morning ride for me, just under 70 miles from my house near Macclesfield (Macc > Holmes Chapel > Middlewich > Nantwich > A534 to Wrexham bypass > Coedpoeth then the A525 to the Horseshoe. A really nice, challenging mix of roads.

Then down the Horseshoe past Valle Crucis Abbey to Llangollen, and east to Whitchurch then up to Crewe, Congleton and back to Macc. About 3 and a half hours all in, including a coffee at the Ponderosa.

garynortheast 01-04-18 07:06 AM

Some nice roads in that lot! I particularly like the road from Ellesmere to Nantwich via Whitchurch.

Luckypants 03-04-18 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig380 (Post 3083992)
Saw yesterday they've put average speed cameras up on the stretch from the roundabout at the top of the Horseshoe down to Corwen, which is a bit strange.

News to me and I'm local :D However, if you mean the A5104 from Pen-y-Stryt to Corwen (linky) I'm not surprised, so folks go at silly speeds down there. It's 'dead leg' side of a triangle for me, so rarely traveled. You got any photos / type of camera information? FYI They are talking of making the Ponderosa down to Llangollen a 40 limit with average speed cameras too.

Luckypants 03-04-18 09:02 AM

Just found this with a quick Google http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-n...wales-42801881

Craig380 03-04-18 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckypants (Post 3084102)
News to me and I'm local :D However, if you mean the A5104 from Pen-y-Stryt to Corwen (linky) I'm not surprised, so folks go at silly speeds down there. It's 'dead leg' side of a triangle for me, so rarely traveled. You got any photos / type of camera information? FYI They are talking of making the Ponderosa down to Llangollen a 40 limit with average speed cameras too.

Yes, that's the one. I can see why there have been so many accidents on that stretch as it's fairly narrow with lots of blind corners etc.

Interestingly, the first set of cameras (just past the roundabout at the end of the Horseshoe) are only one-way, pointing East towards the roundabout. So if you're heading west, they can't see your numberplate.

About halfway along that stretch, in Bryneglwys, there are two-way cameras, which will pick up your plate for the final bit down to just before the A494 turn-off to Ruthin.

Re the Ponderosa down to Llangollen, be careful if you are heading that way in the next few weeks, the road surface has got broken up in places which means there's loads of loose chippings on certain corners. Caused me a nervous moment on Sunday as there was a patch right on my line.

Luckypants 03-04-18 02:54 PM

I rarely go that way on the bike, to many fools and to many speed vans / police. However, I'll note what you say about the road, I do go over the Horseshoe in the car to get to my daughter's house. I tend to have a recce run on my favourite routes about now to see what winter has done to them.