SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Which exhaust can, where to cut? Curvy. (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=198529)

stuR 12-05-13 02:04 PM

Re: Which exhaust can, where to cut? Curvy.

Go for the fuel, tasty exhaust. A nice noise with baffle in, plenty of meat with it out.

Knobby 25-05-13 10:57 PM

Am soon to be cutting the exhaust on my 2000 curvy.
I have a link pipe and end can.
Whats the diamiter of the standard exhaust?
Where do I cut and how far from the standard end can do I go?
(roughly will do,i have a "bike-it" link pipe and have a renegade end can)

SV Shaun 26-05-13 07:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These are the instructions that came with my beowulf end can and link pipe. When cutting, ensure you cover the bike if you are doing it whilst the exhaust is still attached. Use a steel cutting blade (couple of quid from homebase). I remember the diameter, will check later if I can.

Knobby 26-05-13 08:00 AM

Hey thanks, thats going to be a help. 50mm from the weld, I can do that.
I think I will roughly measure the Renegade end can I have and the link pipe first before cutting anything.

SV Shaun 26-05-13 07:43 PM

No worries. It helped me cut mine. Dont do what I did thou, I cut ryt through and made the slightest mark on my swingarm
Not easily visable but its there.
The sound you get from a simple end can is amazing. Take the baffle out and oh my god:-)

Knobby 26-05-13 08:27 PM

I measured the Renegade can I have. Only roughly with a tape measure and about 54-55mm across.
Its an oval and doesn't have a removable baffle. Usually Renegade make loud cans but this one was cheap as its got a little ding in it. The link pipe I have flares to meet the standard pipe.
Whats the standard pipe measure?
(2000 SY curvy)

SV Shaun 27-05-13 06:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The picture shows how much pipe was left attached to the original can. Ill measure the width iof the pipe when I get up haha.

SV Shaun 27-05-13 06:32 PM

I just measured the diameter of the original pipe, and mine Is cumin in at 55mm
Should be the same on yours providing its standard.

Knobby 30-05-13 09:29 PM

Cool thanks !!

MarkB852 31-05-13 08:27 AM

Re: aftermarket exhaust swap?

Quote:

Originally Posted by otaylor38 (Post 2865666)
I guess youll just have to ask yourself if the cost of a full system is worth the money for the amount of gain you get. I decided on a slip on as its only for road use for abit of a tastier sound haha.

Anyone know how big the performance benefits are for a full system? M4 etc?

I have a full M4 system which came in at about £750 fitted and dyno-ed. I didn't need a Power Commander as the shop had the software to play with the Suzuki ECU. The dyno bloke managed to get an extra 10 BHP for me but that was from a lowish 65BHP starting point. Possibly helps that the dyno bloke has been racing and tweaking SVs for some years now...

Others have cast doubt on the gains which is fair enough. It seems like a lot to me too!

On the road the bike feels a lot more lively everywhere but it is a trifle loud. M4 build quality is up there and I like the look of the thing. I'd recommend them whole-heartedly!