SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Is it normal to pay in advance? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=234463)

Seeker 07-10-19 06:54 AM

Is it normal to pay in advance?

I've ordered a new concrete garage but received a text Saturday requesting the balance of the money. I had paid a deposit of £800 and the balance is £3200, the garage is going to be delivered on the 21st Oct. I was supposed to have received a confirmation packet to review to insure that all details were correct but that hasn't arrived. I checked the invoice from the agents and it mentions the balance but not when it is to be paid.

After having all the problems with the gas fire installers cutting through an electrical cable and telling me it was my problem after I'd paid up front, I am justifiably nervous about following the same procedure.

I had new windows installed earlier this year, paid a deposit and paid the balance on completion - I thought that was usual practice.

If I pay in full now and they go out of business (unlikely but ...) or they install it badly (more likely) I have no leverage.

Adam Ef 07-10-19 06:58 AM

Re: Is it normal to pay in advance?

Generally have 30 days to pay an invoice. I know this as I'm freelance and lots of companies will take very day they can to pay and a few will take even more.

shiftin_gear98 07-10-19 06:59 AM

I would have thought the balance is the balance and normally paid on completion if they are assembling it. Or delivery if you are.

Biker Biggles 07-10-19 07:07 AM

One useful "insurance" is to pay for it by credit card. Then if the business fails to deliver the credit card co refunds you.

Luckypants 07-10-19 09:18 AM

We have a garden room on order. Deposit has been paid, balance is required 2 weeks before delivery. The payment terms are clearly detailed in the contract. I'll be making use of credit card protection, just in case.

Seeker 07-10-19 09:28 AM

I called the agent and she will speak to Lidget Compton with a view to me paying on completion. The only documentation I currently have is the invoice from the agent not the "welcome pack" from the manufacturer which is supposed to have full details. Lidget changed their policy about payment a year ago.

I've spent £14000 this year on 3 items, the 2 that I paid in advance cost £10500 and have proved to be a headache, the other item (new windows) cost £3500 and were paid for on completion with no problems. If I have to pay in advance I'll cancel the order.

SV650rules 07-10-19 10:25 AM

I was always told that any builder or supplier that expected full payment in advance was not to be trusted, when we had an extension built I made sure that money would only change hands after local council inspectors had passed off the work ( stage payments) - any reputable company would be happy with this. I don't see why payment on completion is such a problem for a big company - definitely worth haggling about - it is normally only a problem for shonky companies who do bad work - the famous building company 'Bodgit and Scarper' springs to mind..

Sir Trev 07-10-19 08:40 PM

I was shocked to be told I had to pay the balance owing on a car I'd paid a deposit on three days before going to pick it up. Considering they were meant to repair a dent first to my satisfaction I told them to think again or I'd walk and take legal advice to get the deposit back if they tried it on. Luckily they caved but I'm sure others would have just paid and been disappointed if it was not right.

When I was arranging to buy the car I picked up on Saturday I made sure the dealer was going to take the balance on the day by debit card and he said they always did so. Far more sensible.

This garage purchase may well be a risk. Personally I would be asking for a refund of the deposit on the grounds of failure to provide the documentation promised and for not making the terms clear. If you'd know in advance I dare say that after your fireplace experience you'd choose another supplier.