SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Throttle Valve Seizing (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=229926)

mnikodemus 05-07-18 05:11 AM

Throttle Valve Seizing

Hey Guys,

I have an 04 2nd gen bike. Tried to start it a few months ago, but it had a completely seized twist throttle. Got around to investigate the issue- removed the throttle tube, checked the cables, removed the air box.

The throttle body linkage itself (which connects the throttle valves of both cylinders) is hard to actuate. I worked it open and closed several times, and it helped a little. It’s still too hard to open with the cable though.

Anybody have any ideas?

It was running a couple months earlier, I just let it idle to charge the battery.

I also found a large rodent nest on top of the air filter in the air box. Full of insulation. I didn’t see anything on the other side though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig380 05-07-18 06:50 AM

Re: Throttle Valve Seizing

Hose all the pivot points on both throttle bodies with WD40, leave alone for a few house, hose them again, then try moving them and see if they've freed up. It's likely to be a buildup of road crud that's caused them to stick.

Make sure they move freely before trying to ride the bike though, you don't want the throttle sticking open when you're on the road.

mnikodemus 05-07-18 10:29 PM

Thanks Craig! Hosed everything down with WD40 today. It’s operating better, but still sticks at WOT sometimes.

I’ll let it sit overnight, see how it is tomorrow.

I’m thinking maybe I should just go ahead and replace the throttle cables, since I already have most of it apart...

Craig380 06-07-18 06:47 AM

Probably a good idea to do that while it's an easy job. Just in case the cables are stiff / sticky

mnikodemus 08-07-18 03:56 AM

Ended up spraying another dose of WD40 on, it is working fine now. No more sticking! Bought one of the WD40 cans with the flex straw- if it sticks again in the future I can reach it without having to take everything apart again.

tom_e 08-07-18 05:29 PM

Put some proper lubricant on it now you've cleaned it with WD40, even just some light oil will be better than nothing.

SV650rules 08-07-18 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom_e (Post 3088586)
Put some proper lubricant on it now you've cleaned it with WD40, even just some light oil will be better than nothing.

+1

Original WD40 makes a good degreaser, cleaner and water dispersing, but it is not a lubricant (although WD do now make lubricants). It dries to a gummy lacquer that attracts dirt. Put some PTFE ( Teflon ) containing lubricant on throttle now, I used 3 in 1 advanced PTFE oil on a padlock on our side gate about 5 years ago and it has been perfect ever since despite being out in all weathers.

mnikodemus 09-07-18 12:14 AM

Yeah agreed that the original WD40 is a terrible lubricant. I just used some wax-based chain lube, it’s all I had.