SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   EuroTour (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   When would be a good time to visit Spain and the Pyrenees? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=158034)

dyzio 28-09-10 08:43 AM

When would be a good time to visit Spain and the Pyrenees?

Hi,
Just had this idea to visit Spain next year...
Anyone have an idea when the passes in the Pyrenees open (roughly) or is early May a bit too soon for a trip like that?- that would fit nicely with the Catalan GP :)

Asking because on this years France trip, the col's were brilliant, however the temperatures at the Med were ~35C, a bit too much for comfortable riding.
Daimo did a similar route 2-3 weeks before me and the peak of Col de l'Iseran was covered with snow :eek:

So... when would be a reasonable time (May/June) to tour around Spain (Pyrenees included), so that the col's are opened and the mainland temperatures are bearable?

Cheers
dyz

-Ralph- 28-09-10 09:40 AM

Re: When would be a good time to visit Spain and the Pyrenees?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyzio (Post 2378629)
So... when would be a reasonable time (May/June) to tour around Spain

Give the reader a choice why not Dyz!

Sounds like you've already decided on May or June.

Any reason for this? 'Cos you could go in the Autumn.

dyzio 28-09-10 09:43 AM

Hehe :)

I have no idea if the passes are usually open early May :/

I'll probably be back in college next year so don't want to take time off then.

-Ralph- 28-09-10 09:52 AM

Don't forget that last winter was particularly long and harsh. Spring came very late. Nothing to say that it won't be the same this time around though. You just can't predict the weather nowadays, global warming is screwing it all up, July and August used to be summer, now it's like a tropical rainy season and Summer is May and June.

trickywoos 23-10-10 04:05 PM

We tie in the Motogp at Catalunya with a holiday biking around the Pyrenees. its brilliantly warm!!
Obviously we use my parents biker b&b as our base!! www.coupdecoeur.co.uk
Check it out!! But bear in mind there will be one room already booked!!!

TSM 24-10-10 12:23 AM

I rode though france/andora/spain/portugal end of september, it was not very hot, very reasonable
acutaly im still in portugal as i write this. On the way up to andora it got cold but that was the only bit.
If you can wear light clothing rather than full black it does help, dont take waterproof textiles trowsers as they are too hot i think, i took waterproof boots, hg white waterproof jacket with liner taken out and packed, leather perferated trousers, plastic over trousers and two pairs of gloves one waterproof one not but are summer gloves
while i am down here i dont wear leather trousers, its a calculated decision as i do it in london on good weather days too

-Ralph- 24-10-10 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSM (Post 2404322)
while i am down here i dont wear leather trousers, its a calculated decision as i do it in london on good weather days too

And a decision which you really shouldn't feel the need to justify too anybody else on the forum, but I fully understand why you do.

dyzio 24-10-10 05:51 PM

I know it's months away, but I think we'll be heading to Santander early May, doing a 1-2 week tour and then heading to Barcelona for the F1 GP. Then back to Santander via Andorra.

Anyway, plenty of time left :)

Cheers

nigel 22-11-10 12:32 PM

the best months here to ride a bike are april-july mid sept - end october if you wear leathers if like me you ride in t shirts and cut offs (as all the locals do) then all year round is great except dec -march cus it can get b---y cold

dyzio 22-11-10 12:38 PM

Thanks,
We're waiting till the F1 and Motogp dates are released, it will probably dictate when we go, although they look to be on the 20th May and 5th June at the moment.

Just need to decide which one we want to go to.