SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   fitting autocom (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=133118)

Quiff Wichard 02-06-09 11:14 PM

fitting autocom

again in prep for scotland trip.

1. goin to feed it in off the switched live to the rear lights .. do I need to use an inline fuse ya reckon too??

and if so what? 3amp?..

madness 02-06-09 11:17 PM

Re: fitting autocom

Yes fit a fuse. Have you not got any fitting instructions with the Autocom?

Quiff Wichard 02-06-09 11:28 PM

yea i got the full instructions but I am a numpty.. well I not as bad as I make out- but electrics scares me..

then I am always quite proud of my achievements when I done stuff.

I will sit on the hammock tomorow and have a reet good ole read of the instructions.. worrying splicing the wire to my rear light.. but dont want to just use a pp3 battery and keep replacing with running an mp3 off it too.. ( I hope !)

madness 02-06-09 11:38 PM

Aren't PP3 batteries 9v? Bikes are 12V

Quiff Wichard 03-06-09 12:07 AM

dunno mate

!

maybe its PP9 I dunno- like the one in a smoke alarm

Luckypants 03-06-09 08:03 AM

Yeah the 9V / 12V thing worried me to, but Autocom been using that combo for years and so it must be ok. I was not keen about splicing into wires so mine plugs in to the Optimate lead direct to the battery. This means that the unit is powered all the time it is plugged in, but Autocom informed me that this would not harm the unit - the only thing they wanted to point out was it could drain the battery over time. This method worked well for 16 day tour last year, so not a big issue while the bike is in use. If the bike is not being used, unplug the Autocom and plug in the Optimate, job done. :cool:

Quiff Wichard 03-06-09 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckypants (Post 1929045)
Yeah the 9V / 12V thing worried me to, but Autocom been using that combo for years and so it must be ok. I was not keen about splicing into wires so mine plugs in to the Optimate lead direct to the battery. This means that the unit is powered all the time it is plugged in, but Autocom informed me that this would not harm the unit - the only thing they wanted to point out was it could drain the battery over time. This method worked well for 16 day tour last year, so not a big issue while the bike is in use. If the bike is not being used, unplug the Autocom and plug in the Optimate, job done. :cool:

cheers Mike-
I might need to get an optimate lead me thinks

Quiff Wichard 03-06-09 09:44 AM

Mike-

I can get an optimate weatherproof lead no problem .. but do you getthe other end from to conenct to from Autocomm? or can you buy an optimate male or female plug?

custard 03-06-09 10:22 AM

have just fitted an active duo. comes with a 9v battery lead and a "loom" for wiring into the bike.

spliced it into the number plate light using bullet connectors and so far no problems.

if you need any parts i reccomend www.chainspeed.co.uk very knowledgeable and fast delivery.

i used the powered ptt loom and keep the autocom, radio mp3 in a tank bag. saves farting around under the seat the whole time.

Luckypants 03-06-09 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiff Wichard (Post 1929135)
or can you buy an optimate male or female plug?

you can buy a female plug for it, either from Optimate or from a R/C model shop - it's the same connector they use to charge their toys.