SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   First Long Journey (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=63863)

JakeRS 15-11-05 02:58 PM

First Long Journey

Hi guys,

I've got my first long journey coming up, I'm travelling from Ashford to Leeds on the 2nd December to visit a friend, and I was wondering what precautions you suggested for the journeys.

I've bought a strong magnetic tank bag off ebay for £9.49 off eb*y, hopefully it won't come off at high speeds. I also invested in another bottle of Ultraseal in case of tyre poppage. I have a new lid, neck warmer, thermal 'under-gloves' and a set of kevlar jacket and trousers, but they dont zip in cos they're a different make.

Anything else I should be thinking of getting?

Jake

Cronos 15-11-05 03:01 PM

I'd be inclined to get a large all in one waterproof suit. You should be able to pick one up for £30 - 40 and if you get caught in a total downpour then you'll be well protected from the rain.

On the same theme a spare pair of gloves in case your first pair get soaked.

thor 15-11-05 03:03 PM

For me the most important thing is time. If your worried about the the time you'll stress and won't enjoy it. So give yourself extra! :D

wyrdness 15-11-05 03:12 PM

Heated grips might be an idea. Maybe take a thermos of hot soup too.

Carsick 15-11-05 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cronos
On the same theme a spare pair of gloves for when your first pair get soaked.

Corrected.

JakeRS 15-11-05 03:27 PM

gloves I have covered I think, somewhere.

flask will be full of tea, service station tea is far too expensive!

It may not rain, who knows!

And time wise, I have an entire day. No rushing! I will be motorwaying it, the M1.... all the way up, a good hundred and fifty miles straightness :shock:

Jake

will 15-11-05 04:26 PM

ear plugs

Viney 15-11-05 05:10 PM

Re: First Long Journey

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeRS
Hi guys,

I've got my first long journey coming up, I'm travelling from Ashford to Leeds on the 2nd December to visit a friend, and I was wondering what precautions you suggested for the journeys.

I've bought a strong magnetic tank bag off ebay for £9.49 off eb*y, hopefully it won't come off at high speeds. I also invested in another bottle of Ultraseal in case of tyre poppage. I have a new lid, neck warmer, thermal 'under-gloves' and a set of kevlar jacket and trousers, but they dont zip in cos they're a different make.

Anything else I should be thinking of getting?

Jake

The train. Its cheaper, easier, quicker and warmer! I do when i go up north

TSM 15-11-05 05:18 PM

You wont have a problem, hopefully. Its a minimal distance.

I did a 3500 mile journey to portugal and back without any problems apart from a top up of oil.

thor 15-11-05 05:21 PM

Seeing as you have all day, why are you taking the motorway? Pick out some twisty A roads and see a bit of the country. Plus, as your speed will be lower you won't be so cold when you finish.