SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Kill the conversation (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=104543)

Xan173 12-02-08 08:12 PM

Kill the conversation

It's not often I say that the DOT has got something right but the new "Kill the conversation" campaign works for me.

I like the fact they're playing on the conscience of the other caller.

What do you lot think?

Lissa 12-02-08 08:17 PM

Re: Kill the conversation

Nope, to me it's just making excuses for the driver being an idiot.

Don't answer the phone while moving, find somewhere safe to stop and return the call. Pretty simple.

Or phone your wife before you set off!

Xan173 12-02-08 08:22 PM

Oooh, you're a hard one to please Lissa :smt079

Steelman 12-02-08 08:33 PM

It's rare that the person making the call would know that the recipient of the call was driving, so the major part of any mobile call related problem has to be due to the driver - or as Lissa says, 'the idiot', answering the call in the first place ;)

Sean_C 12-02-08 08:33 PM

No point shifting the blame.
I don't like people using phones while they're driving, be it bluetooth, handsfree or holding it to their ear, its distracting.

If I'm sitting at traffic lights next to someone on the phone, somehow the revs seem to creep up til they can't hear their call......

magicrat 12-02-08 10:09 PM

Not a massive fan of the DOT adverts. I think they miss the point a lot of the time. For instance the

"if you hit me at 40mph theres an 80% chance I'll die - hit me at 30 and theres an 80% chance I'll live"

...almost says its ok to hit kids, so long as its at 30mph!

-surely a campaign saying "watch where the f#@k you're going!" would be more sucessful?

leemole 12-02-08 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicrat (Post 1415070)
Not a massive fan of the DOT adverts. I think they miss the point a lot of the time. For instance the

"if you hit me at 40mph theres an 80% chance I'll die - hit me at 30 and theres an 80% chance I'll live"

-surely a campaign saying "watch where the f#@k you're going!" would be more sucessful?

lol like your style :salut:

Paul the 6th 12-02-08 10:18 PM

Quote:

aye - BUT where are the fcking parents? and why didn't they ever teach their kids not to run out in the road?

The ones which really get on my tit ends are the little plastic boards they put up on well known "country/biker roads" - a silouette of a bike cranked over and rider with their knee down and in big letters underneath "TO DIE FOR? SLOW DOWN" - feck off! why dont they show a picture of a sports car and a guy on the phone adjusting his stereo running into a tree with "Tree's are our friends"

Spiderman 12-02-08 10:21 PM

Quote:

How about we go back to teaching kids to stay out the road cos cars/vans/trucks/bikes/buses drive fast on them and it will kill them if they get hit by one?

Oh sorry, sounds far too radical for this country's current climate of upside-downism.

leemole 12-02-08 10:21 PM

to die for ?? nope just good obs, choosing your moments and skill !! :)