SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   front sprocket cover (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=240149)

svenrico 18-01-22 04:53 PM

front sprocket cover

I want to remove the front sprocket cover to clean out the oily gunge that collects behind there but I can't shift the bottom bolt which has a fairly shallow socket for the Allen key. Allen key already slipped trying to remove the bolt so don't want to damage the head. Any suggestions welcome.

gadget 18-01-22 06:53 PM

Re: front sprocket cover

Insert Allen key ... preferably a 'straight one, hold it in tight, strike the end of the key with a hammer ( not too hard) and this generally shocks the bolt and the crud that's gripping it.
May take a few goes but always works for me. Btw ... I always soak the bolts for a day or two before starting on it. And ... do it when it's completely cold, the alloy bolt hole will 'tighten' up when it's warm/ hot and so grips the bolt a bit tighter.

Chaplain 18-01-22 11:05 PM

If above doesn't work and/or you already stripped it. Try the next size up allen in standard size and hit it in there with a hamer. Say a prayer and turn it slow.
When that doesn't work get the chisel out, scar the head so you can get it with a flat head bit on a hammer drill. Turn slow.

I use heat on stubborn bolts, so to each their own on that advice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bibio 19-01-22 12:11 PM

stop using allen keys and get yourself a set of allen sockets (preferably 3/8 or interchangeable 1/4 sets) or a set of T handle. same goes for the screws on Jap bikes as they are not philips but JIS.

if you have a dremil then you can chamfer the end (each flats) of a next size up and hammer it in. btw those "bull nose" T handle are good for this.

its not the fit of the key that causes problems but the leverage on the key.

BoltonSte 19-01-22 12:35 PM

Larger torx bits can be hammered into hex heads if it begins to round off.

Does it have a metal sleeve? if not you could always snap the cover and then use heat to get the bolt out. If it's a curvy I think I have a cover knocking about.

svenrico 19-01-22 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 3134646)
stop using allen keys and get yourself a set of allen sockets (preferably 3/8 or interchangeable 1/4 sets) or a set of T handle. same goes for the screws on Jap bikes as they are not philips but JIS.

if you have a dremil then you can chamfer the end (each flats) of a next size up and hammer it in. btw those "bull nose" T handle are good for this.

its not the fit of the key that causes problems but the leverage on the key.

Thanks for the replies.
What are Allen sockets, I thought the socket was the recess in the bolt head ?!
I have a set that incudes extension bars that the Allen key head fits onto!
My Suzuki dealer has offered to remove the bolt if I call in with the bike so I might do that anyway (and hope I haven't damaged the head too much)

DJ123 19-01-22 06:33 PM

It's a Male Allen socket. Similar to how you get Male/female torx sockets.

johnnyrod 21-01-22 09:47 PM

He means a socket as in goes on a socket set, but with an Allen male part (!) on the business end i.e Allen key

svenrico 21-01-22 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyrod (Post 3134704)
He means a socket as in goes on a socket set, but with an Allen male part (!) on the business end i.e Allen key

Ok ,thanks. I have a set of them with a small ratchet handle or an extension bar with a tee handle option.
The recess in these small dome head Allen head bolts aren't deep enough in my opinion to get a good enough hold though.

johnnyrod 24-01-22 09:12 PM

Clean the crud out of them as well