SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Drivers and wing mirrors. Today's odd experience. (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=208735)

PyroUK 27-03-14 06:43 PM

Drivers and wing mirrors. Today's odd experience.

So this is a bit weird, I see a fair few cars driving around with their wing mirrors folded in. And I try to be nice and let them know and for the most part it works, usually when they are able to safely do it themselves or sometimes I do it for them. No problems.

However today was the most bizarre thing ever. Riding home I was filtering past traffic and noticed a car with the driver side mirror in. I pulled in behind to try and get her attention which I failed to. Despite the fact that she was in fact doing mirror checks! Left rear right. Fairly frequently as well. So I tried waving at her, did she see? No. Tried blipping the throttle, did she notice? No. When the on coming traffic cleared I pulled to the side to try and get her attention by waving and blipping throttle. Again nothing. All the while she was doing mirror checks!

Now at this point I gave up and pinned it to get away from her as she is clearly oblivious to the outside world.

What REALLY gets me, is I can kinda understand not noticing the mirror if you aren't a frequent mirror checker. But she was! I mean full on looking at where the right hand mirror should have been!

Plus the fact she couldn't see me behind, beside and probably in front of her!

Anyway, kind of a rant but I needed to share.

Matt-EUC 27-03-14 07:13 PM

I've frequently had a similar situation. I just do it for them and pin it to make a point.

kaivalagi 27-03-14 07:36 PM

Re: Drivers and wing mirrors. Today's odd experience.

Just goes to show how little people are actually observing even with the "routine" in check aye...

Red ones 27-03-14 09:09 PM

Sure it wasn't a female version of Stevie Wonder?

PyroUK 27-03-14 09:25 PM

Haha maybe!

Mrs DJ Fridge 27-03-14 09:58 PM

Maybe it was automatic and broken, ours broke on the Feista, I 'encouraged' it manually, it now makes very funny noises every time I lock the car, it has been like that for the last year but it still works, just makes funny noises.

PuggledPrune 28-03-14 08:33 AM

Scary how little folk see. I alwasy think if folk don't spot the big white van I drive at work how will they see me on a bike?

Like this: LINKY

trudd 28-03-14 09:41 AM

I agree that the mirror checking was weird and shows how people just learn a routine rather than actually doing something useful. It's something that annoys me too.

But, could it have been that she had seen you and was ignoring you as there was a "nasty biker type" blipping their throttle and waving at her. Maybe she felt a little intimidated?

Matt-EUC 28-03-14 09:49 AM

**** em. What does she think we'll do? Smash her windows if she doesn't move over??

trudd 28-03-14 09:55 AM

Possibly, yes or kick her car or well, whatever really. People have strange imaginations. All I'm saying is that it might not be as bad we think.