SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Got snow? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=229342)

Seeker 27-02-18 07:48 AM

Got snow?

For my sins in this or previous lives, I live in Cleethorpes. Despite the ever present threat of oxygen deprivation, I live in the highest part - a vertigo inducing 62 feet above sea level. The "Beast from the East" is coming they said "rush out and panic buy as much bread and milk as you can" (they may not have actually said that), still Cleethorpes, being almost on the east coast (technically it's on the Humber estuary) was in the cross hairs for 5-10cm of snow overnight.

How much did we get? Well, I've seen heavier frosts - I'm not certain but I think you could probably have counted the individual flakes. So far, "beast from the east" has all the beastliness of an intoxicated chihuahua.

What's your experience?

Kenzie 27-02-18 07:50 AM

Re: Got snow?

Same really, crap on the side roads but main roads are ok. Not brilliant but passable in Ipswich where I live and Colchester where I work. Probably 1-2cm if that. Worst day is supposed to be tomorrow.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk

garynortheast 27-02-18 08:40 AM

Been snowing steadily here all morning so far. Not a lot on the ground at the moment, perhaps half an inch, but if it keeps on it's going to make things tricky. They don't salt all the lanes out here and I can see the schools being sent home early if this carries on as the school bus is not going to do too well if we get much more.

punyXpress 27-02-18 09:50 AM

5cm - 2 inches! What a puny effort.
The 1963 Dragon Rally in North Wales was more like it!
Two of us on Maicoletta scooters set off up the Horseshoe Pass.
Leaving Llangollen, the snow covered the road, then the cars, then the radio aerials of said cars.
Eventually there were only the tyre tracks of a trials bike. We did about 20 yards past that and had to turn back - the snow was above the telegraph poles with no clue as to which direction to go.
At the top end, the road had been ploughed along the main road which produced a 20ft snow cliff which we could never have got down.
Happy Daze :D

shiftin_gear98 27-02-18 10:26 AM

Bugger All - Stansted

Heorot 27-02-18 10:58 AM

Around 2 inches here in South Norfolk and still snowing. Local Facebook reports that the A140 out of our village heading north is impassable. There's a big dip and hill and vehicles that couldn't get up it are now blocking the road.

Two inches is all, and the schools have all closed in the village. One of them is a high school. What's wrong with kids today, the village is small enough that everyone is within walking distance of the schools.

maviczap 27-02-18 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenzie (Post 3082984)
Same really, crap on the side roads but main roads are ok. Not brilliant but passable in Ipswich where I live and Colchester where I work. Probably 1-2cm if that. Worst day is supposed to be tomorrow.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk

Loads more in Felixstowe Kenzie about 5 - 10 cm

Handbrake had frozen this morning, could not free it off, drove from home to Ipswich doing no more than 30mph at 6. Sliding everywhere

SV650rules 27-02-18 12:04 PM

We had the equivalent of 'a heavy frost covering' this morning early on, but most of it had gone by 8-30, a few lonely flakes since and about 1 deg C, but no snow really, who did the weather forecast, not Alistair Campbell ( Tony B-liars mate) by any chance.... he would have classed present weather as 'a Russian WMD' and had a whole dossier on it...

Bibio 27-02-18 01:22 PM

just started in sunny Kirkcaldy. the past week has been great weather.

Trev B 27-02-18 01:51 PM

Small flurry’s all morning in sunny Worksop!sun has been out a few times!bit of a shock after 4 weeks in Goa,Brrrrrrrrr