SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   possible for wind to blow motorbike over? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=76888)

grecian9 02-09-06 04:15 PM

possible for wind to blow motorbike over?

It's very windy here in Leeds at the moment. I've had to zip tie my bike's cover on as it's sitting on the pavement outside my house. I'm worried that the wind will catch the cover like a sail and blow the bike over! Am I paranoid or has this ever happened to anyone?

Razor 02-09-06 04:17 PM

Yes, my bike got blown forward a few years back, not far, just enough for the side stand to slip and over she went. When it's blowing a gale I tie the front brake back for a bit more stability.

Lissa 02-09-06 04:19 PM

Yep, our old Daytona 1200 was blown over once, and that weighed far more than the SV does...................about 60 kilos more :shock:

Baph 02-09-06 04:59 PM

Personally, I'd rather loose the cover than have the bike fall over.

Then again, mine's sat in the garage at the moment....

fizzwheel 02-09-06 05:17 PM

Yes it is. I had a loan bike from a dealer whilst mine was being worked on and the wind blew it over.

Lesson learnt. Bike park with the front pointing into the wind. That way the wind will flow over the front of the bike as its designed to when being ridden.

andyaikido 02-09-06 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzwheel
Yes it is. I had a loan bike from a dealer whilst mine was being worked on and the wind blew it over.

Lesson learnt. Bike park with the front pointing into the wind. That way the wind will flow over the front of the bike as its designed to when being ridden.

Good point but then you might not be able to lock it up properly.

pmapp 02-09-06 06:45 PM

Well I'm in Wakefield and I'd agree its a tad breezy :roll:

Got home from work and the missus says "why ain't yer bike covered up, its been raining you know".

My cover has upped and gone *sulk*. Was weighted down with 4 bricks too :cry:

So if theres any reports of a low flying UFO's around here, then it's probably my not that cheap Oxford cover thats gone for a wander :D

Baph 02-09-06 06:56 PM

pmapp, heh, another person from my old neck of the woods. (I grew up in Dewsbury)

Living where I live, pointing the bike into the wind when it's parked up isn't an option. I live on Angelsey, not far from the Menai straights. The wind around these parts is almost constant, and it changes direction just as often as it blows.

Stick it in a garage and never worry about it blowing over (unless you get caught in a hurricane).

And yes, I know a garage isn't always possible for everyone.

northwind 02-09-06 09:12 PM

If you've concerned about the stand flipping up, bungee it to something solid, front fork maybe. And leave it in gear, too. SVs have a fairly solid stance apart from that, but just about anything can blow over if the wind catches it right.

grecian9 02-09-06 09:55 PM

it survived the gales...it is locked to a tree with pretty much zero slack though. Thanks for the tips all.