SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Dogs B*ll***s (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=115329)

Shellywoozle 09-08-08 06:24 PM

Dogs B*ll***s

Ahhhh well I am finally doing it ..... Samson is not going to be my friend next Friday.

I have booked him into the vets to have his nuts removed :smt042

Does it defo calm them down ??? Will I have a calm Springer Spaniel or an angry one :rolleyes:

Gene genie 09-08-08 06:34 PM

Re: Dogs B*ll***s

why do women insist on having a strong male prescence around the house then break their spirit slowly and turn them into a shadow of their former self.
never do to another that your not expected to do to yourself!!!!

tanis34 09-08-08 06:37 PM

a very sorry one for a few days but it should calm him down , it worked for me i just want to go sleep now lol

Shellywoozle 09-08-08 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene genie (Post 1590033)
why do women insist on having a strong male prescence around the house then break their spirit slowly and turn them into a shadow of their former self.
never do to another that your not expected to do to yourself!!!!

I didnt want to do it I wanted him to sh@g his little heart out as he enjoys it. But he is ahving a few "aplha dog" issues on the field and is making a few doggy enemies.

Also he like to hump all puppies and young children and it just not good.

I have taken him off the stud list and thought this would solve his little issues. Long term I dont have to worry about cancer in his bits and he will be happy playing with all doggies hopefully and won't sexually abuse the kids on the field :scratch:

All in Samsons interests at end of the day, and it'll be a doggy holiday at the vets. :smt042

HONEST ......... who am I trying to convince

Gene genie 09-08-08 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanis34 (Post 1590038)
a very sorry one for a few days but it should calm him down , it worked for me i just want to go sleep now lol

calm him down, i'd be bloody furious!!!!!

kwak zzr 09-08-08 06:42 PM

awww poor samson :(

gettin2dizzy 09-08-08 06:46 PM

Apparently they taste great with noodles. A 'pot poodle' if you like ;)

21QUEST 09-08-08 06:47 PM

There is every possible chance, it'd do nothing or not much regards the 'humping away'.

This may sound harsh but neutering is no substitute for setting of/having firm ground rules and/or training .... ;)

Ben

Shellywoozle 09-08-08 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy (Post 1590056)
Apparently they taste great with noodles. A 'pot poodle' if you like ;)

Have you experience of this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwak zzr (Post 1590050)
awww poor samson :(

You lost you sexual partner now !! :p

tanis34 09-08-08 06:47 PM

heel be ok it only urts for a few days

gettin2dizzy 09-08-08 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellywoozle (Post 1590060)
Have you experience of this?

I was captain of the ball sports team. Oh yes.:smt106

shonadoll 09-08-08 07:49 PM

How old is he and has he been used at stud? To be honest, it may not solve the issue, especially if he's been used for stud as once they have a go, they like it!

You may be better speaking to the vet and having a chemical type castration drug tried on him,usually Tardak, to see if that helps, then going ahead with the op if it does. If they have been used at stud it can very often be more of a behavioural issue than than a hormonal one, as evidenced by dogs who haven't been castrated who aren't bothered with humping.

I've got two cockers, both entire males, and not had them neutered and won't unless I have to. Saying that, it's not a big op nowadays - they usually are back to normal within a couple of days, if that! We always laugh because owners can't keep them still for even a day after normally, and the vets always say try and keep them quiet till the post op check-yeah right.

It's also worth asking a vet/behaviourist if he's a good candidate- if he is at all nervy or timid, castration can make things worse.

He's gorgeous, saw a pic of him in another thread.

Shellywoozle 09-08-08 08:01 PM

dHe is lovely, very good looking pooch.

He has never been used for stud, I wanted to but decided against all the checks etc and thought it better to go down this route.

He has calmed down alot compared to how he used to be, he never sat still, wouldnt repsond to command, chewed all dogs necks in a nasty way and was generally a terror dog.

Now he is great, sits down when he sees a dog coming, looks at me to give him the play command then pounces ... but its just his humping of children and puppies that I could do with kerbing, parents are getting a bit upset when I am rolling around laughing at Sam humping their child in the middle of the field. And once he hooks on thats it :rolleyes:

I will speak to vet before I take him in though, see if they think I am doing right thing.

the_runt69 09-08-08 09:16 PM

My Collie wouldnt talk to me for days after I took him down to have his off, But it did calm him down a bit and as We have a female dog as well couldnt leave him intact as She was younger than him and had to have a season before we had her done.

K 09-08-08 09:27 PM

I can recommend having him Tardak'd first.

A friend of mine who has two working Black Labs was getting problems with the younger of the two. Dominance issues that were being compounded by his lack of obedience regarding his social behaviour.
Having him chemically castrated reduced his alpha oeverdrive so to speak and allowed for a bit of further training for his obedience.
Once the drug was beginning to wear off his behaviour was controllable and so there was no need for him to actually lose his jewels permanently.

I'd suggest it as an alternative coupled with some intensive obedience training, you can always have it done again if you need more time to achieve results.

I also have had two Cocker Spaniels - now the first - Kodo - well, lets just say at first we thought he was either gay or simply bi-curious. ;) Lets just say that he never showed the slightest interest.
Spider on the otherhand has shown a certain love affair with one particular cushion, but that has been banned to his nest behind the sofa just so he doesn't actually embarass himself infront of company. ;) As far as the rest of the world is concerned, he appears to have found his one true love and is content with that. :roll:

timwilky 09-08-08 09:29 PM

Jaspers had to go when the ladies of the house objected to his excitable ways. David and myself cringed, called them heartless bitches but would they listen no.

Calm him down, no way. He is as nuts as ever, just less messy

Shellywoozle 09-08-08 09:31 PM

LOL K, Samson is just embarassin. I found a Springer bitch local to me and out walking one day she was sat there on path with her owner who was chatting to me. Sam was paying no interest, owner bent down to stroke Sam who then latched onto his arm and humped him LOL.

He humps me when he is excited, humps any man that comes through my door and any youngster.

Took him to the vets and the vet went to stroke him and off he went again.

LOL one randy dog. But he has NEVER tried to hump a bitch LOL weird

the_runt69 09-08-08 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellywoozle (Post 1590222)
He humps me when he is excited,

Something you not telling us Shell :p

Shellywoozle 09-08-08 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_runt69 (Post 1590225)
Something you not telling us Shell :p

About all I get nowadays LOL

Dog humpin my arm .... no I do stop him, that'd be incest I am his Mummy

kwak zzr 09-08-08 10:46 PM

let him have his fill he enjoys it hehe

ooger 10-08-08 12:26 AM

Mr Vinster spent 24 hours on the sofa after his op.

He was pretty silent but feeling the drugs wear off after a while I think.

He was OK until you went and showed him any attention, after that he would just look at you and cry and wimper, woefully, until you walked away. At which point he would stop.

Little Git

He's amazing now, he loves everyone equally. Mainly me.

To compare like with like Shelly - my sister had her Springer done 9 months ago, and he's as mad now as he was before. We think he's a bit "special" though.

600+ 10-08-08 08:25 AM

It's a Springer Spaniel!! They are the type of dog that wants to run all day long and hence the excitement.

I have had Kasper neutered but he is a cross, rescue dog and indeed this was for not having Cancer issues etc.

I would double check though if I was you with the Springer Spaniel club as I believe that for this particular breed other problems might arise after castrating him. All vets (or at least most of them) will advise you to go ahead with it but I would defo speak to the owners club first!

With regards to the op - when Kasper had it he was a bit dizzy for the day but after that he was back to his old good self from the next day! He didn't get anymore quiet and he still hamps almost anything that moves........so this might not be the solution to your problems ;)

markmoto 10-08-08 09:45 AM

shell its abit of a myth that cutting a dogs danglies off calms them down, more often than not it doesnt work, think how bad you will feel if you get that done to him and he is the same or worse he might get depressed lol. Seriously though do some research with other spaniel owners not the vet as the vet will tell you its a good idea as they are getting paid for it ;-). My skips abit nuts but i just couldnt get his nads cut off he would never forgive me, and i very much doubt it would change him at all.

Shellywoozle 10-08-08 10:17 AM

Ahhh ya all making me feel bad for doing it.

I also thinking of cancer in years to come ..... gonna post on Springers Forum later and do some research. I will only do what's best for my baby.

markmoto 10-08-08 10:28 AM

Cancer? shell dogs have had danglies since there have been dogs having them doesnt make a dog more prone to it, im sure you will do whats best for samson ;)

600+ 10-08-08 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mototech (Post 1590363)
Cancer? shell dogs have had danglies since there have been dogs having them doesnt make a dog more prone to it, im sure you will do whats best for samson ;)

Actually it does! But not on all dogs and sometimes you need to balance that risk with "other" things that can happen.

Having danglies means that there is something to get cancer - no danglies = 1 less thing to get cancer on.

Do your research and then decide :)

markmoto 10-08-08 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 600+ (Post 1590387)
Actually it does! But not on all dogs and sometimes you need to balance that risk with "other" things that can happen.

Having danglies means that there is something to get cancer - no danglies = 1 less thing to get cancer on.

Do your research and then decide :)

Ok so it wont get ball cancer due to it not having any but what about ever other type of cancer?? its not a reason to cut anything off a dog no more than it is a human, you wouldnt cut your nads off just so you wouldnt get it would you :D, there has to be other bonefidey reasons behind it i,e the main reason was to call him down wasnt it? if this is guaranteed then great but if its not which i would suspect it isnt then why put him through the pain and discomfort? like you say the spaniel owners club if a good starting place for advice.

rigor 10-08-08 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellywoozle (Post 1590025)
Ahhhh well I am finally doing it ..... Samson is not going to be my friend next Friday.

Does it defo calm them down ??? Will I have a calm Springer Spaniel or an angry one :rolleyes:

If you are not showing him or breeding from him it is the best thing you can do for him :) We had Lupo "done" at 11 months old and he not only calmed down, he is nowhere near as dominant. Its not an overall fix for hyperactive or unruley dogs but it certainly helps as well as keeping up with current training.

Also if you ever get a 2nd dog it takes away a lot of problems there and also will stop him getting so stressed if there is a bitch in season nearby. Plus it takes away the risk of cancer when he is older.

Sammy

rigor 10-08-08 05:28 PM

http://www.apbc.org.uk/article4.htm

Also why do people feel that they don't want to neuter their dogs but its perfectly ok to send their bitch in for spaying when its a much more risky procedure??

Sammy

appollo1 10-08-08 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellywoozle (Post 1590025)

Shelly
How could you!! Poor samson !!

kwak zzr 10-08-08 06:45 PM

Leave him alone!!!!

markmoto 10-08-08 06:56 PM

Save samsons Nuts, save samsons nuts :pale:

Jinxy43 10-08-08 07:30 PM

that sounds a good charity to start mototech :mrgreen:

Shellywoozle 10-08-08 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rigor (Post 1590577)
If you are not showing him or breeding from him it is the best thing you can do for him :) We had Lupo "done" at 11 months old and he not only calmed down, he is nowhere near as dominant. Its not an overall fix for hyperactive or unruley dogs but it certainly helps as well as keeping up with current training.

Also if you ever get a 2nd dog it takes away a lot of problems there and also will stop him getting so stressed if there is a bitch in season nearby. Plus it takes away the risk of cancer when he is older.

Sammy

Ah guys you are making me feel bad.

Samson has an Alpha dog issue, he went through a stage of fighting with all male dogs, now he only does it with larger dogs or dogs his size. We have 6 5 month old springer pups and their mum on the field local to me, at the moment he is humping them but when those pups get into "or is alpha dog?" stage Sam will most probably fight with them. He has a Leonberger mate 2 times the size of him and I can't let him near as he is really aggresive with him.

I am looking into it and I will speak to the vet about Tardak (didnt know about this thanks guys) and about the pros and cons.

I didnt want to have him done, hence he is almost 2 yrs and still has his pride but I want to be able to let him roam around without him fighting and growling at all male dogs.

There are alot of Rotties and German Shepherds he has a go at and I fear one day he will have a go at the wrong dog. I already take out a 60ft lead which he is kept on when I am unsure about the dogs about, I pull him in near when I am unsure yet he can still run about.

Ahhh Sam may still have his 2 veg yet :smt040

sarah 10-08-08 08:33 PM

chop 'em off

gettin2dizzy 11-08-08 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarah (Post 1590714)
chop 'em off

Thank god women will never land themselves in power...:rolleyes:

shonadoll 11-08-08 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rigor (Post 1590581)
http://www.apbc.org.uk/article4.htm

Also why do people feel that they don't want to neuter their dogs but its perfectly ok to send their bitch in for spaying when its a much more risky procedure??

Sammy

Pyometra is a very real threat to bitches- basically a pus filled infected uterus. It's also hellishly hard to diagnose sometimes, and can lead to death, sometimes very quickly.

K 11-08-08 07:04 AM

Kodo was a 'complete' dog his entire life, but cancer got him iat 13 years :(. Only it was of the Spleen, which many Spaniel breeds run a higher risk of than testicular.

rigor 11-08-08 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellywoozle (Post 1590713)
Ah guys you are making me feel bad.

Don't feel bad trust me he wont miss them and he will lead a much happier life.

Quote:

Samson has an Alpha dog issue

This is why we had Lupo done, especially the breed he is where Dog against Dog agression is high between the same sex of dogs. He also tried to be dominant with us and used to climb between me and James when we sat on the sofa and stand over James.

Quote:

I am looking into it and I will speak to the vet about Tardak (didnt know about this thanks guys) and about the pros and cons.

Please be very careful if you go down this route as it throws up its own problems. Please please do as much research as you can.

Quote:

I didnt want to have him done, hence he is almost 2 yrs and still has his pride but I want to be able to let him roam around without him fighting and growling at all male dogs.

I think you have answered your own question really and it really is for the best, the last thing you want is for a dog to come into the field he is playing in and for Samson to get hurt or for him to hurt another dog. At 2 he will pretty much be mature and to be honest without very heavy training it will be hard to make him behave better, dogs are dogs! Imagine him meeting Lupo on a walk and Samson starting on him :shock::shock: Not that Lupo would do much since he has been done he is more chilled out, but i don't think he would back down if he was attacked.

Sammy

rigor 11-08-08 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shonadoll (Post 1590910)
Pyometra is a very real threat to bitches- basically a pus filled infected uterus. It's also hellishly hard to diagnose sometimes, and can lead to death, sometimes very quickly.

There are 2 types, open and closed. The closed is far worse purely for the fact that you don't know anything is wrong as there is no discharge. The dog can go down hill rapidly after only 24 hours :( it is one of the main worries for not spaying a bitch, other than pregnancy unwanted litters etc, plus phantom pregnancies which are a nightmare!!

Sammy