SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Adjustable needles (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=92729)

mwr2452 05-07-07 02:19 AM

Adjustable needles

Where can I find adjustable needles for my 99? Richer would be better too and has anyone put any Renthal flat bars on theirs?

Sid Squid 05-07-07 07:21 AM

Re: Adjustable needles

European bikes, (possibly Canadian too, but I'm not sure about that), have adjustable needles. Dynojet needles are adjustable too.
Plenty of people have put different 'bars on their nakeds, which I'm assuming you mean. I've got Renthal ultra low on my 1000, very similar dimensions to the standards but sweep back a bit less, small change in dimension for a sizeable change in use.

northwind 05-07-07 09:59 AM

The cheap alternative to buying adjustable needles if you don't already have them is to put small shims under the needle base- you do this even with adjustables for half-steps. You can probably buy shims from DJ etc but all they are is very small washers, so you can probably find something to suit for pennies.

mwr2452 05-07-07 08:19 PM

Thanks to all for responding. This is my first SV. Had an RC 51 last, which has spoiled me to EFI and had hoped the little SV would be just as fun, but I can't seem to get comfortable nor can I get the roughness out of the engine which is really bad at 3000 to 5000 RPM. The plugs are a little black and slightly wet. I have a 15 pilot, 2 1/4 turns out on the pilot screw, and 130 mains. The bike has a Yoshi TRS slip on. Shimming the neddle will richen the mixture. Won't that contribute to my plugs getting blacker and a less efficient burn? Any more thoughts?

Mike

yorkie_chris 06-07-07 10:25 PM

Depends where the mixture is rich/lean, maybe a plug chop at 4000rpm would be a good idea to find out for definite which side of optimum is causing the roughness.

That and just make sure the bike is in a good state to start with, mine is spot on with a fuel slip on can. check air filter is clean, choke plungers, good fuel, ect. before you start rejetting IMHO

northwind 06-07-07 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwr2452 (Post 1230745)
Any more thoughts?

Are you at very high altitude? Those are small jets...

mwr2452 06-07-07 11:31 PM

I agree, they are small. Stock pilot is a 15, and stock mains are 137.5. I bumped the mains down to a 130 to clean the plug up and to try not to choke myself to death while it's warming up in the garage-with the door up. It literally smelled as if the thing was pumping out raw fuel. I am only going off plug color to make my jet changes. She'll only do 115 MPH- 137.5 mains or the 130s, it doesn't seem to make a difference.:-x

Mike

yorkie_chris 06-07-07 11:33 PM

Well are you sure there isn't an underlying problem rather than just wrong jetting?

northwind 06-07-07 11:43 PM

Yep, either you live on top of a mountain or something is actually wrong, stuck open chokes, restricted intakes, something like that.

mwr2452 07-07-07 08:05 PM

I'm taking her to the doc on Wednesday, but I will try to richen things up and see what happens and just go by feel rather than what the plug looks like. Then I will know if it's jetting or something else before I ever take it to the shop. Thanks to all.