SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Which chain adjustment marker (new chain) (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=142827)

rockster 19-11-09 09:08 PM

Which chain adjustment marker (new chain)

I just had a new chain and sprockets installed (by a dealer - don't trust myself with rivetting yet) and the chain adjustment marker seems further back than I'd have expected. It's on about the 5th or 6th mark (i.e. only about 3 or 4 from max adjustment). Does this sound normal? Before the chain was replaced it was only on about the 3rd or 4th mark, although it had a few tight links which might have affected it.

I've checked the markings on the chain ( 525-V8 ) and rear sprocket (45T) which seems to be right for a naked pointy according to Haynes. Slack seems OK.

Could be worrying about nothing but I kinda expected the rear wheel to be sitting a bit further forward with a brand new chain so I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Cheers

Sid Squid 19-11-09 09:33 PM

Re: Which chain adjustment marker (new chain)

Are you certain the new chain is the same length, that is; has the same number of links as the previous one?

It's tedious I know, but count the links to be certain. As standard Faired have 108 link chain, and Nakeds have a 110 link chain.

rockster 19-11-09 09:54 PM

Yep, I've counted the links and there are 110 of them. Can't be totally sure about the old one as I never counted them, but I have a feeling it might have been the original chain as there was no riveted joining link on it. Would this be possible on a 24k bike without a scottoiler?

Cheers

Holdup 19-11-09 10:56 PM

Youve got a naked k3 so i cant see why... unless you have a S rear sprocket instead of an N rear sprocket, think S is 45 tooth and N is 46

jambo 19-11-09 10:59 PM

Perfectly possible.

As Sid Squid says, if it's a faired bike then it should have 108 links in the chain. If the garage ordered the kit, and fitted it then I'd take it back and politely ask them to take a couple of links out.

If you supplied the chain there will be less room for acting upset at this.

Jambo

Edit: Didn't see that your signature says you have a naked K3. Is it a genuine naked, or a crashed / repaired former "S"? I'm inclined to believe you've simply got a slightly smaller sprocket on the rear then.

rockster 19-11-09 11:23 PM

yep, it's a genuine naked. According to Haynes naked is 45 tooth and s is 44. So, unless the front sprocket is wrong (or they've chopped half an inch off the swingarm!) i don't see what else it could be. Do you guys agree that being on the 5th or 6th marker sounds wrong?

vardypeeps 20-11-09 01:55 PM

Id say so. Sounds like it needs 2-3 links taking out

sunshine 21-11-09 08:39 PM

do you not trust the local dealer? it will be fine stop worrying

Sid Squid 21-11-09 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vardypeeps (Post 2100605)
Id say so. Sounds like it needs 2-3 links taking out

:confused: How could you remove three links?

yorkie_chris 21-11-09 08:57 PM

Easy, it's putting it together after cutting 3 out that is problem :-P