SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Removing/replacing SV650 cam chain tensioners? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=202572)

MR SP2 17-08-13 01:00 PM

Removing/replacing SV650 cam chain tensioners?

Has anyone here replaced the cam chain tensioners? Can it be done without removing the heads? I have had a look at the workshop manual but it only deals with a complete engine strip down and it isn't clear whether it can be done in situ.

TamSV 17-08-13 01:21 PM

Re: SV650 cam chain tensioners

No need to remove heads. I've done it on the Curvy without any problems. Access isn't great but it's not at all difficult. If you've got a wobble bar in your socket set that makes things easier.

Haven't done it on a pointy but would expect it to be similar.

MR SP2 17-08-13 01:34 PM

Excellent. I have a wobble bar (Not heard it called that before). Just wanted to check before I started the job.

Thanks.:)

TamSV 17-08-13 01:41 PM

No worries.

On the curvy, access to the rear CCT is improved no end by removing the RHS rearset/footpeg assembly. Don't know if that's the same on pointy but worth mentioning as it's one of those things where 10 minutes additional work saves you half an hour of swearing later. :)

MR SP2 17-08-13 02:54 PM

Thanks, I will bear that in mind. Should have started the job today, weather is foul! Need to get new tensioners and guides first, Mondays priority.

andrewsmith 17-08-13 03:10 PM

If its the guides also, you'll have to take the heads off IIRC.
Tensioners is bodywork, Radiator and cam covers

squirrel_hunter 17-08-13 04:28 PM

Out of interest why are you replacing the the tensioners and the guides?

MR SP2 17-08-13 05:20 PM

It seems to have developed a bit of a top end rattle, not wholy surprising since it has done over 41,000 miles. Its overdue a valve clearance check, they may well be out of tolerance but usually valve wear tends to take up valve clearance. I wouldn't be surprised if the cam tensioners and guides are worn. While I'm doing the valve clearances I might as well check the tensioners. I won't know for sure until I get them out and inspect.

If it requres the heads to come off to replace the guides I will probably stick to checking and possibly replacing the tensioners only.

wideguy 18-08-13 12:41 PM

Re: Removing/replacing SV650 cam chain tensioners?

Cam chain guides typically last a very long time, 20 years or more without problems. This is because they are simple devices. The tensioners, that apply actual pressure to the guides to eliminate slack in the chains, are also simple devices and don't often fail.
If you're going to check your valve clearances, you can, while you have the valve covers off, check to see if your cam chains are tight, or have slack. If they are tight, it means the cam chain tensioners are working.
I've found re-installing the SV cam chain tensioners to be a fairly difficult operation. As always, easier the second time around. You can easily make the cam chain adjuster locking tool for re-installation.